The Car Thread

MadManMike

You are the biggest hypocrit known to man. Shame on you.

At least it isn't Haldex. Could have been worse, I could have actually bought this A3 that is totally f**ked upon closer inspection.

Not to mention you buying something off me and then selling it to somebody I wouldn't feed my own shit to if they were starving.

You'll just be upset when I have the fastest car again lol

Edited by Pashley26

Too fat, too heavy, power is spread to thinly between too many wheels. Look elsewhere. My work college had one before his DC5, he reckoned the scoob wouldn't get anywhere it. Cammed up 106s will stick with them, Type Rs will leave them, I bet a well set up A3 would too ;) If you've got the rally look bug I'd be looking at Evos but thats a personal preference.

Those 1st gen subarus aren't heavy - Wikipedia says 1220kg, a bit less for the WRX/STI versions. Pretty sure a WRX would have the legs on all those cars you mentioned. Certainly the Civics are (only slightly) heavier with less power. Obviously they're massively chavvy though.

Can't you get an old beemer like an e36 328i for that sort of money? Might drive nicely as well as being reasonably quick. No turbo though.

EDIT: If it's just for I-has-more-powers-than-you one-upmanship then I guess you'll have to look elsewhere.

I wanna see you rollin' in another mucus green saab soon.

I too wanna see me rollin' in another mucus green saab soon.

Honestly, given the choice I'd have one over a Scooby, BM, whatever. Love them.

And yeah I could have a 328, or for the money I could put an M3 engine in my E36. But I CBA and I want 330bhp.

What experience I have of 'classic' Imprezas has come to 3 conclusions:

1) They're good cars, and really quite quick.

2) They're a hell of a lot of fun to thrash around a field 4 wheel drifting.

3) Stick them on tarmac and they're really rather dull, all that grip makes them about as 'raw' as a well-baked potato.

So yeah, if you want a car to drive illegally, boast about and enter the willy waving contest of "my car's faster than yours, nar nar nah nar-na", or if you want a rally car, then they're pretty spot on, but if you want to have fun with cars and don't have access to acres of woodland/hillsides to thrash around then they're nothing special. Basically the polar opposite of an MX-5.

I drove (and nearly bought, but couldn't insure) an import WRX STI classic when I was 21. Didn't look much different to that to be fair. Considering it had over 300bhp, it was shit. It sounded LUSH, but was incredibly boring, and the brakes were appauling.

For the cost the are to run and insure, I'd rather have something else. Plus, you'll have everybody thinking "what a dick" when you drive past, haha :P

I'd much rather have my leon than that I'm afraid, plus, I doubt their would be that much difference in it by the time you take away the transmission losses. A friend of mine has a VR4 galant (2.5 v6 twin turbo) with 290bhp, and mine absolutely dicks him.

...Scooby does look tidy though.

Yup!

The one I am going to look at on Wednesday is cheap cheap cheap, intermitant starting problem, owned by a guy who hasn't got a clue. It was advertised in car and classic as a project ffs.

It's Omni Yellow and the roof has peeled; I'd just flat it back and plastidip it black.

Pretty sure you can fit LCR lower arms and all the usual tricks to them. They're the same as the Leon just a foot shorter and a tiny engine bay?

Nah, its a different chassis. Same as a Fabia I believe. As far as I know, the wishbones are totally different. 4 stud too. Similar engine, but intercooler piping is totally different. Friend of mine had a Jabba mapped "250bhp" stage 2 mk4. Was a lovely car, and really shifted.

The oVni yellow does have a habit of fading, and every panel being a different shade! But I'm sure you could sort it with all your products!

Reeet thats even better then, so G60 golf brake upgrades, Mk3 VR6 hubs for wide track, all the shit I know from Mk2's?

I briefly looked at them when I bought the A3 because at the time I had enough money to buy a half decent K03s one but then the A3 just had to be bought. Not so sure about the Yellow but we'll see.

Scooby tonight and Ibiza on Wednesday. Polar much!

I am also thinking I might wait until October, because if I have a good September then I can double my budget.

How's the LCR?

I'd have to bow out at that point, and admit I don't know as far as brake upgrades etc. I'm sure google would reveal all though!

LCR is all good (so far anyway!). Lauren is using it for work this week because a horse kicked her rear screen and smashed it, and she's got to wait for the horse's insurance to pay for a new one (Autoglass quoted £598! :o ). She started the week hating it saying it was too low and hard to drive, now after driving it a bit more, and has learnt to read the road more to avoid bottoming out, she loves it, and told me she wants it haha! Sounds like a good enough reason to make it faster in my eyes! :P

• Like 2