The Car Thread

MadManMike

Maf works fine.

Manifold is tight and uncracked, it is the downpipe gasket or o2 sensor. The fluctuating o2 levels are upsetting the sensor and making it run rich and have in turn ruined the o2 sensor, hence the BMW going from being ok on fuel to being shite within a week.

Drove it back today with the scanner on and the o2 sensor is constantly fluctuating from 0 to 0.9v even at idle; so either the downpipe is upsetting it or the o2 sensor is shagged.

Don't join the ranks of the smart arse c**ts on here that pick holes in everything, you're better than that Robin and it doesn't suit you.

With the MAF unplugged the car was better on fuel and rev'd freer at the top end. I can only presume the unplugged maf was countering the conflict of signals from the o2 sensor and leveling it all out with a solid if not spot on AFR. With the MAF plugged back in the symptoms return stronger; from logging the car it is reading the right g/ps based on load and RPM.

Picked up my first car tonight! Yes it's slow & handles like a boat... but its miiinneee :dance: & needs a decent clean + plastics restored to their former 'glory'

423505_10151186237074994_1369191765_n.jpg

I tried sticking my bike in the back earlier and it's a bit of a ballache, so would there be any reason why I couldn't get some cheapo roofbars and strap my bike (Upside down) directly to the bars?

the o2 sensor is constantly fluctuating from 0 to 0.9v even at idle

That sounds like normal operation to me. I'd get a multimeter on that maf sensor, if possible, and see what happens.

@Hopping Topsy, are you looking for a left hand drive mx-5 from any nearby country?

I'm in switzerland, and I'd import one from the uk if the price is right..

There aren't many used ones being sold here, and if they are in a decent condition you already pay 4.5 - 5k £. (early 90's mk1 that is...)

I saw a few that were in a decent condition for about the half on pistonheads, but all were rhd..

well ofcourse, france germany etc. would also be a possibility, but I think they're the cheapest in the uk.

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

Oh look who it is.

I rang up my two insurance companies for diff cars to tell them I removed mine and they laughed. They told me I didn't even need to ring them as it hasn't added any value to the car or changed its performance.

What the f**k is your problem kid? I am fed up seeing a back handed comment, or some shitty reference from you in every post you make. I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed it, because it is literally every post you make. What are you trying to prove?

I can guarentee you that if you crashed having not told them they would have a different opinion, it is changing a 4 seat car to a 2 seat. It might be a small thing but unless you tell them your insurance could and should be invalid. I think Robin will know for sure the in's and out of it but if you change anything on your car, you need to tell insurance. Simples.

Think you'll find that this is an open forum and he can say whatever the f**k he likes. You seem to excercise that right on a regularly basis so don't get pissy when someone gives you a bit back.

If that's the case then cool and I'll open up too, just seems a bit odd that a lad with a diesel focus that most people wouldn't use as a taxi who asks simple questions on a daily basis and seems to have vast gaps in his basic knowledge would have such an attitude in a thread about cars full of people who live and breathe them and are only trying to help each other out and share their experiences.

I wouldn't go into a climbing thread and start telling you how to do your sport having only ever climbed one 30 foot wall once as a child.

-

Pete, am I right in thinking anything above 1V is considered irregular and that a duff sensor will read 0.9v all the time? That's what Hilliers says.

Edited by Pashley26

I wouldn't care if you did, just because I know more about climbing than you doesn't make me an expert and you a beginner, because I'm still shit as well. I'm only 21 so know full well I haven't been alive long enough to have collect the level of knowledge you seem to believe you have.

Also, you're commenting on other people's posting etiquette? When it comes to appearances and posting manner, you're far, far worse than anyone else on this forum. How you can't understand when multiple people tell you that you're coming across as a wanker is beyond me.

Just to fuel the fire as well, while he has a diesel focus that's too shitty to be a taxi, you're the moron who traded in a 172 Clio to go to a shite old BMW. For someone with such a fountain of knowledge you really have made some retarded decisions!

I never outwardly say something about somebody though do I Sam? I never make a comment specifically at somebody to cause them offense. Because believe it or not I'm not an offensive person; I might be blunt but I never go out to cause offense. Dan just seems to constantly make a dig in every post that he makes to me, and IMO it's unjustified.

To clear up your opinion that I make retarded decision; the BMW being old and shite is your opinion, and I'd be inclined to agree with you, the Clio being better than the BMW is in your opinion. But that doesn't really matter to me, what matters is if it gets me to work, how it gets me there (sideways or very fast; I don't mind) and if it will make me money. I sold the Clio because it was the right time for it to go, and I bought the BMW because I can easily double my money on it whenever I want. The entire thing owes me just over £650; I was offered £1200 for it at the SOS meet I went to the other week when I was putting feelers out and I was offered a swap for a SAAB 9-3 track car the other day, which I said no to because I want something I can make money on again and part of the terms of me purchasing cars from work is I need to sit on them for 3 months before selling.

Remember three years ago when I bought this 1.8t Sport Passat which was immaculate and only had 80K on it for £750; whilst everything else on the market was £1000 more -

2568_75955305129_4044028_n.jpg

And I swapped it for this and everybody thought I was a hero -

4318_100562865129_1066062_n.jpg

Which I swapped for this, and everybody thought I was a retard -

4561_108990200129_7912441_n.jpg

Which I swapped for this -

5495_122063865129_5490204_n.jpg

Which was worth this -

saab95002.jpg

What you guys didn't see was the £4500 profit I made within the space of 3 months. I do not make retarded decisions at all, I see the bigger picture and enjoy owning cars. I've made thousands buying and selling my cars over the past 5 years. From selling the Clio and buying the BMW even after the wheels and coilovers I have banked £500, and now have a car that is worth as much as the Clio as well as that cash.

The only retarded decision I think I have made is letting some of the cars that I have had go. I want them all.

Edited by Pashley26
  • Like 2

Jardo you may find this shocking, but I'm totally with you on this one your original comment was correct and informative. And on the outside you car purchases may seem odd, but you make money and enjoy doing it and there's nothing odd about that.

You can come across as extremely blunt/arrogant at times, but I get the impression you don't know you do/mean to.

On car related nonsense, water pump decided to throw its toys out the pram the other day and collapse its main bearing and piss coolant everywhere. So need to sort that b*****d out! :(

• Like 1

Noticed Dan and Sam being very quick to take affront to jardo recently, just as he was winding his neck in a bit and improving his posting etiquette. Mind you I felt the same way for a while and often did respond. I've just learnt to interpret someone with a high level of automotive knowledge (he does know a lot, not as much as HE thinks he does, but way more then most) and a slightly arrogant and blunt manner. that's cool in person when facial expressions and body language diffuse the combative nature of the words. However like moths to the flame the baiting and retaliation continue. Bored now. can't we all get along? rant over

I also have a high co2 error light verified on emissions test and the car is underpowered (1.6 02 focus). both lambdas replaced in last 10,000miles and no exhaust holes/cracks. so Cat or air sensors making it run lean?

• Like 1

Jardo: yep that sounds spot on to me. I can only imagine there's something else causing your problem. As for testing mafs, I've never tried it myself but I'm sure its possible if you can get the multimeter 'prongs' to somehow contact the wires near the connector...