The Car Thread

MadManMike

Well that went well. Spot two things wrong with this picture... one might not be that obvious.

dsc00434zu.jpg

GoPro registering everything that happened between the 2nd run where it all went tits up after dumping the clutch through my "talk" with the guy who built the car right up to loading the car onto the trailer and heading back home for the win. Had no idea it was recording, have 3 hours of footage, mostly audio.

I can't find any solace in the fact that my only run was the 2nd fastest out of about 60 cars. It was just a terrible day.

I'm guessing the obvious is that the diff's mounting 'wing' is broken on the right, while the less obvious is maybe the way the whole lot appears to be a rather wonky? (could just be the picture though.) Either way, I'm sorry to hear it's gone wrong already, really not a good start. I'm curious to know if things are as wonky as they look though :mellow: I really do hope it's just the picture.

Edited by RobinJI

What do you mean by wonky? edit: off centre? If so that is the pic, camera has a very wide lense.

Other problem is oil on the exhaust, diff is leaking. The left half shaft mount is falling out. Part of what's visible should actually be inside the diff. This was attended to and with no results. I've left the car with someone else now, a guy who actually thinks before trying to fix anything.

Something had to be wrong with the mount, I've spoken to a friend who has Veyron levels of power in his M3 and he hasn't experienced this issue. He uses his fuel budget mostly on dumping the clutch in 1st gear while on very wide slicks so I should be safe buying a new mount.

Edited by Greetings

Ah, yeah, a wide angle lens would explain it, if you look at the steel cage around the diff, with the control arm mounts on it, and then the area of floor pan visible in the bottom left of the picture, they don't look anywhere parallel/in line at all, but it'll just be the lens throwing it out. I'd guess that the diff housing must have already been cracked/damaged, it really wouldn't take a lot to cause a failure like that, and the movement the broken mount would cause in the diff could have been what caused the other issues. I seem to remember the back end being only partly poly-bushed? Is there a mix of poly and rubber bushes on the diff mounts by any chance?

Is the rear anti roll bar touching right hand shaft? or is that just a mark on it unrelated?

sorry to her about the damage. by the sound of it next time you will be making the other 59 cars look like they wernt even trying :bow:

I have, when mine dropped one on the mini at 90mph it did very similar damage in around 1 second!

it's actually pretty scary when you think about it, at 7000rpm, the pistons are moving up and down the bore 116 times EVERY second, so if it went at full chat, there could be 116 chances for the valve head to mash the shit out of the head and piston, even if you turned it off after a second!

That's mental :S

I'm only joking dude, just on a bit of a downer about the thing.

Several electrical issues on SAturday at Goodwood robbing the car of power, then a driveshaft came away from the box last night ruining the shaft, box output flange, and possibly damaging the box casing, I need to investigate it tonight.

She just needs a bit of TLC at the moment

Powah. Clearly, haha.

I don't know man, it's cursed. my car and driveshafts do not mix.

Going to sack off the over priced audi bolts, and replace them with 12.9 grade cap heads and Nordlock washers. I'd like to see the f**kers come loose then!

I think the car is a bit upset to be honest, 1 month to the day after the big crash and I've thrown it together and given it another pasting. I just think it needs a bit of time and attention and good thorough check over.

Nearly 3 weeks until the next trackday, so it should be fine :)

http://www.pistonhea...les/4016549.htm

Perfect daily car, such an awesome car to drive. bodywork and drivers door sensor is only thing that let's it down. on 71k and service history up to 67k!

With seats down will easily fit bikes in too, boot is massive.

PS. I want to keep up with what people are doing to their cars, but this thread moves so damn fast. :(

I though the bimmah was a project?

No turbo no care at the moment.

BMW is cool as a daily, I might keep it as a second car. Dunno. I just fancy something silly fast and turbo again.

A 9-3 Aero is TD04 fitment, sling a TD04-19T on it and a set of 550cc injectors, decat and 3" downpipe, FMIC and some home brew SAAB suite mapping is good for a reliable and fairly easy 320bhp @ 19psi for less than 2k total cost.

Strip it, and you have an 1100kg car with a power to weight ratio of champions. A super strong engine but a cheese like box.

Probably should have just bought a 9-3 instead of the BM.