The Car Thread

MadManMike

Anyone have any experience with VW/Skoda side air bag crash sensors?

My mk 1 octavia has failed its MOT due to aitbag light being on, and this sensor is at fault.

Unfortunately there are no new ones in the UK according to my mechanic, they are on back order.

There is, however, a couple of used ones on ebay. Are they hard to fit? Where is the sensor located in an octavia?

Cheers.

Can't help with the location, but it may well be possible to bung a resistor (you'd need to find out the correct rating, but your local Maplin would have one for pence) across the connector to fool the ECU into thinking there is a sensor there... Off goes the airbag light, MOT gets passed ;)

What's 'poor fuel economy'? Forums say it gets about 25-40mpg depending on town vs motorway. Which is exactly what my Type-R gets.

I'm looking at trying to reduce my expenditure. Sell the Civic / cancel the finance (car is now worth more than outstanding finance) and get something cheap ish. Not too fussed about running costs because I don't do too many miles at the moment. Although I'm not sure I want the lottery of having an old car blow up on me as a daily driver.

Off goes the airbag light, MOT gets passed ;)

Or just take the dashboard apart and disconnect the light...

I know they can technically check this by comparing the startup lights sequence with a manual, but I doubt they will. On the other hand, might be an idea to actually fix the airbags that could one day potentially save your life.

Chances are you will get 25/30mpg combined on an M50, it is difficult not to open them up because they sound so good.

Looks a nice car though, I am all for going older. Give it a go. I have had loads of old cars and never had a mechanical failure, buy it right and look after it and there is no reason why it should be unreliable.

Edited by Pashley26

My mk 1 octavia has failed its MOT due to aitbag light being on, and this sensor is at fault.

Unfortunately there are no new ones in the UK according to my mechanic, they are on back order.

There is, however, a couple of used ones on ebay. Are they hard to fit? Where is the sensor located in an octavia?

Cheers.

Just heard from the mechanic, apparently they are only bringing in the automatic failure around April, so it passed. Sweeeeet.

Was going to say, it's not a failure yet anyway so he's trying to mug you off!

I'd be HIGHLY surprised if the part wasn't available new anywhere in the UK too, it's an octavia, it shares almost all its parts with an A3, golf, leon, and TT, between them some of the most common cars on the road!

Do your tires scrub the inner arch Bucky? Mine are ruining my inner arch/chassis leg bit.

yes only a tiny bit, and at the rear of the well, right where the brake pipes run, but i have 3mm lock spacers in each side of the steering rack. i just made up a 1mm steel sheet and screwed that over to protect everything :)

front plate back on. (both fell off and were run over, ill buy some more but plastic standard ones at VW fest)

utf-8BSU1BRzAyNzQuanBn.jpg

sorry not going to even start messsing with the engine on this one. iv spent too much lready, the Mrs wants a house, and i cant afford insurance.

yes i will be at Vw Fest at the weekend, ill be camping with a group of about 20 lads. if you see me in or around my car say hi.

you could even take some high res pics if you feel generous :D

Feck me, how long was it running for?! I've never seen a dropped valve cause that much damage.

I have, when mine dropped one on the mini at 90mph it did very similar damage in around 1 second!

it's actually pretty scary when you think about it, at 7000rpm, the pistons are moving up and down the bore 116 times EVERY second, so if it went at full chat, there could be 116 chances for the valve head to mash the shit out of the head and piston, even if you turned it off after a second!

That's mental :S

Hehe.. Well 50mph, 8000rpm missed a gear change, managed too rev it too god knows what and bang... Kept running on 3 until i could get it onto the side of the road, then managed another 5 miles too get it home, suprised is not the word.

New engine shall have an 8500 limit me thinks.... And double valve springs.

Finally pulled my finger and started to finish my car off as it is going to be a good few years before i get another as my main focus is deposit for a house which am doing quite well with at the moment for saving.

Recent new stuff for my mk6 fiesta zetec has been:

Private number plate

Had an led bulb come today for my interior mirror light which has made a big difference for the inside.

Got some led number plate bulbs, led boot bulb, colour coded boot lock cover and thats about it for now which are all on order.

Next will be getting the ST spoiler sprayed and fitted which is costing £100 thats for the spoiler to be tiger sealed on. Would much prefer that than rather having holes drilled through my boot.

Some Eibach 35mm lowering springs

Some DMB custom gel graphics for my rear badge and wheel centres.

Keep thinking of getting a black suede roof for the interior and also a gloss black vinyl roof.

I shall stop gassing for now and hopefully have some pictures up soon.

Watch this space..

Had a look at the plugs?

Yeah, it is running rich.

Just wasn't sure if the slight blow would make it THAT bad, or wether it could be the CPS/O2/MAF/whatever other shit they have.

No fault codes so I presume it is the exhaust leak and the 02 sensor doing it's job.

Edited by Pashley26