The Car Thread

MadManMike

Not a clue, it has got a wheel on it too. I will take a picture and post it tonight.

I think you guys have a rather different view of flames to me :P

It does this literally every time you flat shift -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZhYOE6vr58

Edited by Pashley26

Right, I like cars. But 'lows' are stupid (there's no discussion required here :P). And what's the fascination with flames? Surely it just means your mapping is less efficient that it could be (unless you have purposefully mapped for flames which is pointless?) and it burns your exhaust wadding out?

I awaiting the flaming (no pun intended :lol: )...

It depends on how far you go with 'lows' though surely? If it's just taking things down by 25-35mm or so and firming it up accordingly then it can be beneficial in terms of ride and aesthetics (car dependant of course, depends wholly on the standard setup...), but slammed to the ground with uber tucked wheels is ghey as feck if you actually drive your car :P

• Like 2

taking things down by 25-35mm or so and firming it up accordingly then it can be beneficial in terms of ride and aesthetics (car dependant of course, depends wholly on the standard setup...),

Ah - that's not what I would call 'lows'. The second part of your post - I'm glad you agree :wink2:

• Like 1

We can't all be as perfect as you Prawn. The end result is immense, I love it.

You're right, Jarrod, but it's a shame, because the world would be a better place for it....

I like Simon a lot, he is a cracking bloke, and the car is nice to drive.

However, (I don't expect you to understand this bit) anyone of an engineering aptitude simply could not accept this:

540009_10151667666440508_769975477_n.jpg

2'' mild steel box section, mig welded to a pair of flanges as a manifold adapter? seriously? mild steel box?!?!?!?

Not to mention the downpipe, which has no bends, only 15mm strips of straight pipe cut and migged together again.

As I said, I like Si a lot, but there are certain parts of that car that just make me sad. If it was driven properly, on a trackday, I highly doubt it'd make it to lunch time.

• Like 2

I am not sure how much better it can be, it really is great. It is a GT28 based turbo and happily makes 30/40bhp more than other GT28 builds. If it isn't broken don't fix it, IMO. Prawn thinks I am fickle, and that Simon has paid me to say this shit. But seriously it is by far the best driving 1.8t I have ever seen,nobody can be prepared for how great it drives based on the build.

LOL Seamons, how do you have a clue what I have or haven't been in? How has Prawn for that matter?

Regardless of what I have or haven't driven I am the only one out of us who has actually driven this thing, and I am saying it is awesome and I don't care about a slightly pikey downpipe and adapter flange because the car is epic to drive.

It hasn't broken yet, and when it does break I think the downpipe and adapter flange will be the least of Si's worries.

Niki made an interesting point yesterday which made huge sense to me; people are USED to seeing super expensive and well marketed products being sold at high prices. So when they see something like a piece of box section with some flanges pidgeon shit'd onto the ends they expect it to be shit because it isn't what they are expecting it to be. Based on this initial reaction like myself people will discard it as a total mess and expect it to be turd.

But some how it has made an amazing result, so given that same logic this car MUST be epic because it is better than any other GT28 build it terms of drivability and performance.

Nobody has any idea about the setup on the car because it has just been thrown together on the lads driveway.

So we all have nothing to go on with regards to how efficient this setup is, or how or why it could be made better. Because it is already the best, so why bother making it better.

I love it. Like properly love it.

All of this is a total 180* for me because I HATED the car and thought Simon was an idiot. Met him yesterday, and he is the polar opposite of everything I expected him to be, his attitude is great and he is a do'er not a thinker.

Again, good work I say. 427bhp or whatever it is now for less than a grand...

Edited by Pashley26

Arguing about a small chunk of metal. Seems like a productive way to spend time.
This. Simon made the 'pikey' adapter in the time we have spent typing our replies, and his car is more powerful than all of ours. Less arguments and theory, more doing :) - I am fitting all my polybushes on Sunday. Can't wait.

....so why bother making it better....

Because then it would be well... better? How is that anything but a good thing? I wouldn't be as harsh as some of these guys about it. It evidently works, the box secition is pretty silly considering how cheap and easy it would have been to just get some round tube, but MIG'd mild steel will be fine, and lobsterback joints can be ok. (admitedly they can also be shite, and iirc from photos I've seen of his downpipe it's probably the later).

Please stop saying dumb things like: "it is better than any other GT28 build it terms of drivability and performance" You're a smart chap, but no one takes you seriously because you say shit like that, I know it's just you getting over excited, but it makes you come across as an idiot, when you're not. Have you driven every GT28 20vt in the world?

• Like 1

I don't need to; this one makes more power than all the other GT28 based builds and it isn't just my opinion that this one offers more drivability than ones with 100bhp less.

I've driven it as it sits today, nobody else here has.

I've been in Pauls S3, by far one of the most expensive and 'perfect' GT 1.8t builds out there, it is hero worshipped for being so perfect and uncompromised wherever it goes.

Simons drives better.

Niki at R Tech has driven more big turbo 1.8t's than we will see in a lifetime. His opinion is exactly the same.

Edited by Pashley26

The difference is that Niki's opinion is more than likely that it's the nicest to drive that he's seen, not the nicest one ever. There's a BIG difference between those two statements, in terms of credibility as much as anything else. How do you know there's not loads of European or American cars that are much better? or even British ones that are owned by guys who keep themselves to themselves rather than showing their car off on forums? There's a big difference between stating something as opinion/personal experience, and stating it as fact. I know what you mean, but 99% of people reading this will just take you to be an idiot if you make sweeping statements like that.

I don't deny it's probably a nice car to drive, and I've even defended the bodgery to some extent, just trying to help you be taken more seriously.

Anyway, this discussion's boring, and nothing to do with trials forum really.

I don't know if I'm reading it wrong or what but does he say one sold for $120,000 but his is for sale for £8,250?

• Like 1