The Car Thread

MadManMike

Take it to his gf nicky @ Rtech ?

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss about to go down now bra.

Yeah that'll be fine, there's no tracking marks on the opposite side so they can't work out the speed from using and speed and distance equations. Afaik you have to go about 55+ to set it off the opposite way? Anyway there's no tracks on the non measuring side so you'll be fine Matt :)

Depends which type it was, if it was an actual Gatso you are fine.

-

Niki wouldn't map anything that old, so you're out of luck there.

Post some pictures of it, on the face of it I love Mk3's with Vento fronts, so if it isn't a shed you might be surprised.

If you ever need any parts to it then let me know, my friend has 7 of them on his driveway.

Edited by Pashley26

Yeah that'll be fine, there's no tracking marks on the opposite side so they can't work out the speed from using and speed and distance equations. Afaik you have to go about 55+ to set it off the opposite way? Anyway there's no tracks on the non measuring side so you'll be fine Matt :)

How on earth do you know there's no tracking marks on the other side :PMost speed cameras on single carriageways do have them on both sides of the road. Also you can't really guess what speed will set one off without knowing what the speed limit is, I'd hope 55 wouldn't set one off in a 60/70 limit or the film's not going to last very long! :lol: But yeah, regardless of the reasoning, as said, a true Gatso (The massive ones with a square lens) can't get you head on, I'm not sure about the other types though. I think it's basically only the posh digital ones that don't have to flash that can,

Off to try and sort my inner CV's later on, along with maybe tackling a couple of other little jobs depending on how I get on time wise.

Gatso's do not have an "alert" mode. Some will flash, and you don't get a ticket, but that's because they are dummy units, with no camera inside. From time to time, the guts of the "real" cameras get moved about, so the dummy ones then become active.

Gatsos CAN measure your speed when facing you, and more often than not there are lines on both sides of the road (if not, over taking would mean no ticket!).

The lines are not what the camera works out the speed with anyway, they just provide a secondary check for the person processing the ticket.

The reason you can't get in trouble from a front facing GATSO flashing you is that they are not type-approved for such measurement.

Check out www.pepipoo.com/forums for more info. Its a VERY handy site for any police/parking related issues.

• Like 1

Lower splitter.

Here's your part number - www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachments/parts-other-sale-wanted/126806d1297808981-authentic-ac-schnitzer-splitters-sale-lower-price-img_2917.jpg

Carbinfibreskins sell carbon ones...not cheap.

M style sell them too.www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/info_B02CR005.html

And on ebay - item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=300677653279&index=6&nav=SEARCH&nid=81528270249

Edited by Pashley26

They are a wanker when they go missing; which is fairly common. A friend of mine had the carbon ones off his E46 M3CSL kicked in and they cost him over £500 to buy :( I would suggest using some sort of bonding on them to stick them as well as bolt them, some sikaflex or something just run along the inside.

• Like 1

I went and picked up some new arb bushes and wishbone bushes on my way home last night on a punt that they were cheap and a likely culprit. So jacked the car up and the arb bushes seampt fine. I tried to loosen the rear wishbone bolt and it just span :( with it being loose I think the bush has got knackered too. So I lifted up the carpet and found this....

D7396A3E-FC4F-4D1F-935E-35428444CD90-127

Lifted it up and found the captive nut spinning and someone has poorly attempted to weld it solid.

1D394452-21EF-426B-94A5-3FF75B3296D5-127

You can see where they have tried to weld the flap back down but have tried to weld the sound deadening :olol

Typically though the bushes I got are for the front of the wishbone not the back (N) am I right in thinking that if I just take the captive nut off I can just put a bolt in its place?

10 points for Jolfa :P

It's 100x easier to just weld the original nut back on, I had to replace one of the ones I fixed with my own nut and bolt and it was a ballache.

All the work's been done for you anyway, just clean it up and weld it!

Gatsos CAN measure your speed when facing you, and more often than not there are lines on both sides of the road (if not, over taking would mean no ticket!).

The lines are not what the camera works out the speed with anyway, they just provide a secondary check for the person processing the ticket.

The reason you can't get in trouble from a front facing GATSO flashing you is that they are not type-approved for such measurement.

Cheers mate :) Was pretty much as i thought. And yeah, proper square camera. I definitely wasn't 35 in a 30 or anything, but even if i was that's next to shit-all when it comes to speeding i guess; especially if it's pointing the wrong way.

I also had a guy in a 1.8T A3 follow me through Worthing just to tell me the Landy was a "f**kin' sweet mota maaayte!", kinda funny haha.

Turreted? Do you mean gusseted? But yeah, that is the nicer way to do things, the closer to the pillars the better, more headroom and visibility's always good. I'd probably just build it to MSA regs anyway, they're there for a reason, they are a sensible minimum standard, you can't really make a cage that doesn't meet them without it being quite flawed.

Matching the contours is good as long as it doesn't mean loads of bends, you want things as straight as possible, with any bends supported by an adjoining tube if possible. If the a-pillars are very sloped it's worth either bringing the front legs down where a quarterlight would be, or adding an extra leg there, just following the standard pillars if they're very sloped can lead to it being quite weak. So yeah, basically just following what the regs say, there's reasoning behind it all.

What car is it you want to make it for?

Edited by RobinJI

Is there something wrong with me that after three podium finishes during one event I would like a f**king trophy?

Not only has the bloody entry fee risen this year, the club has also decided that they're not going to spend 300 quid per event on trophies. f**k me. I'm so pissed off, after 4,5 years of motorsport and probably about 70 grand spent, all they can f**king offer me for going quicker than 140 other drivers is number 3 next to my name in the general classification.