The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

I'm stuck with blending burst shots into one image, I normally do the whole magic wand to select the area and put it on top of the other layer and merge but I'm looking for a easier less tedious way to do this. Spokes are a real pain in the ass to work with especially when chromatic aberration comes into play.

Wheels, spokes overlapping is a problem.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to blend the differences between layers and stack them?

Its super hard to explain but I hope someone understands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Made the trip down to Vancouver about a month ago and purchased a 5d mk iii while I was down there as well as a 50mm 1.2 to go with it. It's not easy having just the one prime lens but I'm loving it :) Very happy with the purchase. Some of my more recent shots...

p5pb12462906.jpg

p5pb12508193.jpg

p5pb12532519.jpg

p5pb12532648.jpg

p5pb12545721.jpg

p5pb12545726.jpg

p5pb12566270.jpg

p5pb12571078.jpg

Sorry about the number of photos I got a bit carried away :)

• Like 6

Awesome work dude, been following your trip on Facebook - seems like you're having a blast :) Not sure if you're on VitalMTB or not, but it might be worth getting an account there and firing up some of those photos. They're way better than the usual POD stuff on there, and you could potentially win a bunch of shit in the Weekly Photo Comp...

I've put together a photobook type thing of all the trips I went on earlier this year. If anyone wants to check it out, you can here: http://issuu.com/cleanzine/docs/clean_-_travel

Some samples:

6uO3sde.jpg

iC4qRIP.jpg

hbydYFr.jpg

jpcRw6F.jpg

lO8r8EL.jpg

gO46Hy6.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome work dude, been following your trip on Facebook - seems like you're having a blast :) Not sure if you're on VitalMTB or not, but it might be worth getting an account there and firing up some of those photos. They're way better than the usual POD stuff on there, and you could potentially win a bunch of shit in the Weekly Photo Comp...

I've put together a photobook type thing of all the trips I went on earlier this year. If anyone wants to check it out, you can here:

Thanks Mark, I'm not over on vital mtb I'll have to sort it out and check out what's going on with that. Pretty certain that I've got a POD over on pinkbike waiting in the queue.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading you photobook while I sat down and ate my dinner. Great work (Y)

Could I get some camera advice? Need it for product photography, sports photography and sports video. Currently using a 7D my friend gave me for a few weeks and I'm very happy with it. I'd obviously be buying 2nd hand, don't want to spend more than a grand on a body and a ~10-80 lens if something like that exists. Since most of my friends use Canons, that's what I'd like to go for.

Because the 7D is now my reference point (this is the only DSLR I've ever used) I'm wondering what Canon has to offer which would be very similar in performance. It appears not all of the mid to high end Canons can shoot video and the numbering can be very confusing. My friend mentioned something about a 5D MK2 being an improvement over the 7 but didn't go into any detail. What's the deal with full frame cameras and in what way could that camera be better than the 7D?

The 7d is a great camera for the money right now due to the newer version coming out and it being fairly old now. They can be had for about £400 right now and coupled with a 17-55mm f2.8 is as a good all rounder lens for a similar price you can't go far wrong. That's the setup I used for a long time and I actually have that set up for sale at the moment but won't be back in the UK til September.

The 5d mk 2 will not be as fast at 4 frames per second as apposed to 8fps on the 7d if my memory serves correct. However the 5d will perform better in low light conditions (produce less noise) and have a slightly better image quality. Full frame sensors are more expensive to make though hence the higher prices for the 5d. You are limited to using just full frame/l series lenses though on a 5d which tend to be more expensive.

Both used correctly they can produce fantastic images. They're both great cameras. My advise would be to purchase a 7d and some nice glass to go with it.

I'm lucky enough to own a 5d mk III and I I love the full frame and if I ever need anything faster I can borrow my dads 1D.

Cheers for the help. Wasn't aware that the 5D is 2x slower. However, I've used the 7D with the slow burst mode and got good results so if that's near 4fps I'm ok with it. Low light performance could be useful although I'm already very impressed with the 7D in this respect.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the benefits of a full frame is a wider view angle right? I can see that some 5D's come with a 24-105 lens which could be pretty versatile but I'm wondering if a full frame @ 24mm would be comparable to the 7D on a 12mm lens? If so I'd go with a 5D purely to have a lens which is good for wide angle trials shots and has an adequate zoom.

Not sure where I might go with this purchase but it could be anything from casual use + product photography and the odd properly filmed trials video to it becoming a serious hobby. Need to account for that.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the benefits of a full frame is a wider view angle right? I can see that some 5D's come with a 24-105 lens which could be pretty versatile but I'm wondering if a full frame @ 24mm would be comparable to the 7D on a 12mm lens? If so I'd go with a 5D purely to have a lens which is good for wide angle trials shots and has an adequate zoom.

Yes and no - some lenses are designed to work with a crop body and therefore be 'true' to whatever mm the lens is supposed to be. The Tokina fisheye I use can't be used with a full frame body because of that.

• Like 1

APS-C/crop sensors like in the 7d produce a 1.6x crop compared to full frame sensors. So for example using a 24-105mm lens on a 7d actually produces a focal length of 38-168mm where as it is a true 24-105 on full frame. The 24mm on full frame will be equivalent to 15mm on a crop sensor so it is pretty wide. A 24-105 would cover a very wide range on the full frame sensor, I would just make note that the aperture at f4 isn't particularly large but should be good enough for most conditions. I'd recommend getting a cheap 50mm to go with it if you were to go down that route too. 50mm gives a nice focal length on full frame, that's all I ever use at the moment.

Either way you can't go far wrong, obviously the 7d would be considerably cheaper but they both have they're pros and cons.

• Like 2

If you can shoot on a full frame camera, you should. The full frame sensor is so much better than a crop. The quality will be better, bokeh is smoother, everything blurs so much better. I think the blur might be due to getting closer with a 50mm than you would on a crop. If the aim is to progress and upgrade as you do, just go full frame now. Will change everything you see and it will happen sooner or later. I went from a 7d to a mkii and never regretted it. mkiii now and mainly due to the focus being better and low light capabilities. I still use a mkii as back up.

In other news, Yorkshire is looking lovely right now.

20230903394_42a77f2e19_c.jpg

• Like 2

No its a cracking camera for the price. If you look up JH Photographic on fb that's Dr dooms page and you can see the quality of them. Battery life is pretty good lasted about a week when I was on holiday in July. Layout is pretty good and the menu's aren't overly complicated.

Whether it's worth £1,188 (Includes a battery grip) really!

My D300s was £1,000 when I bought it 4 odd years ago, I was expecting a full frame to be £2,000 or me - this one seems like too much of a bargain.

Joe Maher had good things to say about the D600, and I seem to remember he has either a D700 or D800 aswell.

You might want to weigh up the option of finding a good, used D800.

If I wanted a lightweight second FX body I'd certainly consider the D600 as an option, but would probably sway towards the D800, or swerve the battery grip and look at stretching to the D750.

I'll be doing 0% finance, so it needs to be new.

The D610 does seem like a reasonable body, but I was also tempted by the D750 - I don't know if I can justify the price difference though, I'm not sure the 750 offers features that I'd really need (Over the 610 I mean).

Hmm...

APS-C/crop sensors like in the 7d produce a 1.6x crop compared to full frame sensors. So for example using a 24-105mm lens on a 7d actually produces a focal length of 38-168mm where as it is a true 24-105 on full frame. The 24mm on full frame will be equivalent to 15mm on a crop sensor so it is pretty wide. A 24-105 would cover a very wide range on the full frame sensor, I would just make note that the aperture at f4 isn't particularly large but should be good enough for most conditions. I'd recommend getting a cheap 50mm to go with it if you were to go down that route too. 50mm gives a nice focal length on full frame, that's all I ever use at the moment.

Either way you can't go far wrong, obviously the 7d would be considerably cheaper but they both have they're pros and cons.

Cheers, exactly the information I was looking for. It's settled then. The 7D I'm using currently has a 12-24mm Tokina and a 50mm Canon lens, both are for full frame if I'm not mistaken. I'm using the latter a lot so definitely need to get one with the camera. Might even be wide enough for trials shots on a full frame?

Cheers, exactly the information I was looking for. It's settled then. The 7D I'm using currently has a 12-24mm Tokina and a 50mm Canon lens, both are for full frame if I'm not mistaken. I'm using the latter a lot so definitely need to get one with the camera. Might even be wide enough for trials shots on a full frame?

I believe the 12-24mm tokina is a lens only suitable for an APS-C/crop camera and not a full frame. Crop cameras within reason you can use with any lens, where as full frame cameras you are limited to L series/Full frame glass. A lot of peoples mistake when first picking up a camera is to zoom out as far their lens will allow to take shots which is not easy to get it to look right, so unless you have a specific need for something super wide I wouldn't get too tied down on having to get one. 24mm on full frame is still pretty wide, equivalent to 15mm on a 7d/crop camera. If you could find one at the right price (probably struggle on your budget) a 24-70mm f2.8 would make an awesome combination with a 5d. The focal range is great, has a high enough aperture and is dead sharp. It would also be something that would last a long time and you would not have to upgrade at a later time.

The 50mm on a 5d is a great combination, it'll probably make you learn more about photography than most other lenses. It's equivalent to 31mm on crop so is a great versatile focal length, they're relatively cheap and generally have high/fast apertures. I'd highly recommend purchasing one whichever route you go down. I have a 50mm F1.2 on my 5d mk iii and it is the only lens I have. All the shots I put in my last post were all with the 50mm. Granted I'll have a cupboard full of lenses to choose from when I'm back in the UK but I don't feel like it's held me back.

Edited by Duncy H

Thanks, this is all very helpful.

I've just looked up the 5D Mk2 and I can see it's 7 years old. Should I be worried about that?

The Tokina and Canon lenses on the 7D and they're both marked with FX. Google tells me that's slightly larger than 35mm. So if I want to find out what the 24-105 will feel like on the 5D, I should set the Tokina at 15mm? Such a field of view is more than adequate.

I've just looked up the 5D Mk2 and I can see it's 7 years old. Should I be worried about that?

The Tokina and Canon lenses on the 7D and they're both marked with FX. Google tells me that's slightly larger than 35mm. So if I want to find out what the 24-105 will feel like on the 5D, I should set the Tokina at 15mm? Such a field of view is more than adequate.

The 5d still produces great quality snaps but the focussing system is probably a bit old school compared to more modern dslrs. Don't forget the 7d is also 6 years old having been released back in 2009.

Here is a good side by side comparison of the two cameras http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II-vs-Canon_EOS_7D

Regards to setting the 7d to 15mm, in a nutshell that will give you a very similar sort of field of view but at 24mm the photo will have slightly different characteristics such as it to likely have less distortion, a very slightly narrower depth of field and so on.

• Like 1