The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

16 hours ago, max-t said:

Why not get something like a Tamron 24-70 2.8 ?

It's all personal but I find when using a 24-70 you get lazy. If I'm using a fixed lens and need to get more view in frame, I move backwards and often find something I might not have seen if I'd stayed in one place. 

Plus, shooting the same fixed focal lengths allows you to picture that shots you're framing before hand easier rather than framing randomly at 32mm, just because you're used to seeing the same thing repeatedly. I shoot a lot of speeches at 35mm so I'm forced to get close like below. With a 24-70 I might have zoomed past the lady and just focused on the guy loosing this frame from her arms. 

script>

24642772066_94bb4a0da8_c.jpg

• Like 2

On 25/01/2016 at 8:54 AM, MadManMike said:

So, going back to the Nikon D750 and grey imports etc...

I'm now looking to buy, brand new, so want a good price but I want legit stuff with legit warranty.

From a quick Google it looks like SLRhut are the cheapest, but I know nothing about them. Jessops seem to be about £300 more expensive, but that's no surprise.

Any tips appreciated!

www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

I managed to find a bit of a bargain in my local camera shop. A 15mm fisheye that's mint with warranty for £260, they usually go for £350-£400 used. Initial impressions are good, seems very sharp, i've only taken pictures of a rabbit with it though so far ha. They had a 135mm f2 in that I had a play with while I was there too, that really impressed me, think i'll purchase one before I head off to Canada in May. 

Here's a dull picture of my camera because why not.

12633581_10153649062922935_6924634506957

• Like 2

Batteries for a Canon 70d? Stick with Canon or aftermarket? My original canon battery won't charge anymore been dropped in water, I bought 2 energizer batteries for it, they seemed good at first but both run out really quickly now and dont seem to charge correctly. I only have the original charger. Could do with a dual charger, if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 11 February 2016 at 10:20 AM, Dman said:

Batteries for a Canon 70d? Stick with Canon or aftermarket? My original canon battery won't charge anymore been dropped in water, I bought 2 energizer batteries for it, they seemed good at first but both run out really quickly now and dont seem to charge correctly. I only have the original charger. Could do with a dual charger, if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks

Buy genuine and be careful where you buy them. All the 'genuine' ones on eBay will be fakes. Go to somewhere like Amazon and make sure it's sold by them not someone else. 

I've got 6 batteries in constant rotation in my camera - 2 are genuine Canon, 4 are randoms.  They all hold charge for random lengths of time - 1 of the Canon ones seems to discharge pretty quickly, as does one of the random ones, but the others are fairly consistent with each other.  I think the randoms are a mix of  Hahnel and Maximafoto from the looks of things - whatever they are, they've worked pretty well for over 2 years now.

The Evoc CP 35L I borrowed held about that much stuff for me (not exactly the same, but I carried:  2 bodies, 4 lenses, 2 flashes, 2 PWs, 2 telescopic tripods, 1 big f**k off tripod, 1 glidecam), and was by far and away the most comfortable bag I've ever used.  With my normal camera bag if I do a full day riding in it my shoulders are generally letting me know how they feel about the situation, but with that Evoc bag they were absolutely fine.  Build quality seemed decent too.  Unfortunately they're pretty expensive, but they seemed to be worth it from the week I got to spend using one.

Looks like their Kata clearance has finished :(

They have one bag on there but it's not reduced and it looks about the same size as my current Lowepro.

I guess I need to shell out a decent amount, but I never expected a bag to be £200+ (My current Lowepro is a good size and cost £40 on Amazon about 4 years ago, just not quite big enough to hold my new kit as well)