The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

7 hours ago, Duncy H said:

I'm quite lucky in that sense that I've never really bought any camera gear apart from my 50mm 1.2 and 5d III as my dad always had gear I could borrow. I am planning a couple of trips this year. One or both is going to be long term, to Canada again and New Zealand. The only equipment I have that I can take out is my 5d and the 50mm. I was considering purchasing a 135mm f2 and a canon 15mm fisheye f2.8 to go with it. Is that a good idea or should I get a zoom wide angle like a 17-40mm?

I would go with 135mm and fish every day. The 17-40mm f4 is really sharp but you'd only use it around the 17-24 area due to having the 50mm. The 135mm is truly amazing. Go for those two and then pick up a 24mm 1.8 at some point, they are fairly cheap and will fill the gap between 50 and fisheye. It's all personal preference though. 

On 11/01/2016 at 2:13 PM, MadManMike said:

It's a UK company though, Richmond Cameras if I remember correctly. I wouldn't trust a Hong Kong warranty or anything, but this company looked legit and had 100% positive feedback.

Doesn't mean it's not imported.

A little googleing reveals that everything they sell is either used or a Grey import. The warranty is only a shop warranty, as in they'll pick up any bills if you run into problems and get Nikon to service it.

That's if Nikon UK will service it. If I remember rightly there was a string of grey imports sent in for service to Nikon UK after just a few thousand clicks that turned out to be fakes and had had the firmware tampered with. Naturally, Nikon UK refused to touch them after learning that, and returned them to their owners with the original problems still prevalent. 

I've bought grey import lenses before as they usually have a working life of 10+ years, but I'd never buy a grey import body.

Edited by Mike Deere
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, going back to the Nikon D750 and grey imports etc...

I'm now looking to buy, brand new, so want a good price but I want legit stuff with legit warranty.

From a quick Google it looks like SLRhut are the cheapest, but I know nothing about them. Jessops seem to be about £300 more expensive, but that's no surprise.

Any tips appreciated!

As a rough guide, the Porsche photos were shot at f2.8, shutter speed fairly fast (Can't remember exactly, but 1/500 or something).

I used a flash to fill, but not very bright so there's no reflection.

Edited in Lightroom using a preset called "Subtle HDR", with a bit of my own tweaking to make it less HDR. I don't really like HDR as it's a bit too much usually, but that subtle preset is nice if you play with it a bit.

If any Lightroom users want that preset, give me a shout and I'll send it over. It's good for cars and landscapes, but it's a bit harsh on people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

As a rough guide, the Porsche photos were shot at f2.8, shutter speed fairly fast (Can't remember exactly, but 1/500 or something).

Edited in Lightroom using a preset called "Subtle HDR", with a bit of my own tweaking to make it less HDR. I don't really like HDR as it's a bit too much usually, but that subtle preset is nice if you play with it a bit.

If any Lightroom users want that preset, give me a shout and I'll send it over. It's good for cars and landscapes, but it's a bit harsh on people.

That would actually be really helpful if you don't mind ☺ started having a play with lightroom the other day but probably just made things too over the top. So a helping hand would be very much appreciated. 

If there's any pics of mine you'd like to pick out I'll happily share what settings/setup i used and run through my editing process. 

I 99% of the time just use lightroom as it usually does most of what i want to do to photos. Mainly played around myself to learn it while getting a few tips off my mates and my dad as well as watching youtube videos. If you pick a photo and create several copies of it and edit each one differently it is a good way to learn and see a side by side comparison.

Edited by Duncy H

7 minutes ago, Duncy H said:

If there's any pics of mine you'd like to pick out I'll happily share what settings/setup i used and run through my editing process. 

I 99% of the time just use lightroom as it usually does most of what i want to do to photos. Mainly played around myself to learn it while getting a few tips off my mates and my dad as well as watching youtube videos. If you pick a photo and create several copies of it and edit each one differently it is a good way to learn and see a side by side comparison.

Cheers! I'm sure I will do! Determined to finally spend some time taking pictures rather than just using my phone all the time. So thank you in advance for putting up with my daft questions....

37 minutes ago, Wrayvon said:

That would actually be really helpful if you don't mind ☺ started having a play with lightroom the other day but probably just made things too over the top. So a helping hand would be very much appreciated. 

No worries mate, what's your email address?

14 hours ago, MadManMike said:

If you don't mind could you send the preset over to me? Email: stuarthomas [at] hotmail.co.uk thanks!

9 hours ago, DrEvil270183 said:

Search "UK Photography Equipment For Sale" on Facebook and other selling groups. There was a 15mm fisheye sell not long ago for £330. You tend to see these lens sell as people want to try them and sometimes prefer a zoom, don't like fisheye etc. 

Thanks for that, managed to find a cheap fisheye already.  :cheers:

Edited by Duncy H

On 11 January 2016 at 1:46 PM, Duncy H said:

I'm quite lucky in that sense that I've never really bought any camera gear apart from my 50mm 1.2 and 5d III as my dad always had gear I could borrow. I am planning a couple of trips this year. One or both is going to be long term, to Canada again and New Zealand. The only equipment I have that I can take out is my 5d and the 50mm. I was considering purchasing a 135mm f2 and a canon 15mm fisheye f2.8 to go with it. Is that a good idea or should I get a zoom wide angle like a 17-40mm?

Why not get something like a Tamron 24-70 2.8 ?

1 hour ago, max-t said:

Why not get something like a Tamron 24-70 2.8 ?

Funny you say that, just today a good family friend pro togger has offered to lend me a 24-70mm canon f2.8 for the entirety of my trip to Canada. Incredibly happy cause it's and awesome lens but there's still some areas I want covered that I might purchase something for.