The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Youtube has a lot of stuff on it.

The amount of times I've clicked not interested on my recommended videos tells me most of this stuff, is utter shit.

However during the course of tonight I have discovered three things that may of be (poss. a meagre) interest to whoever is reading this.

Not only have I discovered that duke video has an archive channel, but that on said archive channel I have discovered something (IMO) truly special - Joey hot lapping his RC45 at the ulster grand prix, Dundrod, 1995. Enjoy.

The 3rd thing is that after I hit post, I'm going to open the video in HD, and watch the master at work whilst destroying the rather nice 14in asda meat feast pizza sat next to me.

• Like 1

Amazing video. Joey was a true legend, such an accomplished rider.

My bike is now nearing completion. Had a ton of issues with the carb and also maybe an occasionally sticking valve (something's not right in the head anyway). So right now the engine has gone in for a complete top-end rebuild plus a brand new Keihin 38CR carb. Aside from a few other last jobs that needed doing, my wheels are finally ready. Ended up opting for Avon AM26 tyres instead of the Bridgestones, as the guy doing all the work had some in stock and I was getting fed up with trying to source the others. Three weeks and it should all be done.

post-4758-0-60253700-1427123240_thumb.jp

Those brake plates look interesting. I take it those fins are creating turbulance for an air scoop of some kind, with some kind of mesh filter covering I presume? If not you might want to mesh them as bugs getting in there and becoming part of a ferodo blended smoothie is not conducive to braking performance :giggle: Makes a hell of a mess too - seeing it being scraped off was effing disgusting!

What are those rims too? My geek could fail me here but that backlip/square sidewall says some form of borrani replica??

They look luvverly anyhow.

What are those rims too? My geek could fail me here but that backlip/square sidewall says some form of borrani replica??

The hub is the standard SR 400/500 twin leading shoe hub. Actually I haven't checked about mesh - I know that the more expensive big drums often have mesh-covered scoop, I remember seeing that on racing bikes. I'll take a look and see.

The rims are made by Excel in Japan - they're both 18", front is 1.85 and rear 2.15. As far as I know they are indeed a replica of the valanced rims made by Borrani, Akront etc.

Ahh Excels, that makes sense now.

Yeah all my contact with old bikes has been around the 50's/60's/early 70's bikes racing at the likes of an Aintree club meet, the Pre-TT classic around the billown course on the IOM, or at the Manxgrandprix around the mountain course. so my style of bike I would build is based heavily on this.

As such my idea of a good the ultimate front brake is something like a twin cable operated 8in full width radially vented drum, with 10mm thick CNC drilled dural torque arms, a scooped vented brake plate each side with twin actuator arms, 4 cams total giving 8 leading shoes :dance:

Ahh Excels, that makes sense now.

Got excels on my supermoto, lovely rims :)

Yeah all my contact with old bikes has been around the 50's/60's/early 70's bikes racing at the likes of an Aintree club meet, the Pre-TT classic around the billown course on the IOM, or at the Manxgrandprix around the mountain course. so my style of bike I would build is based heavily on this.

As such my idea of a good the ultimate front brake is something like a twin cable operated 8in full width radially vented drum, with 10mm thick CNC drilled dural torque arms, a scooped vented brake plate each side with twin actuator arms, 4 cams total giving 8 leading shoes :dance:

So the front brakes on my dads racing vincent? Quad leading shoe, twin cable vented drums, not entirely sure on the diameter but the spokes are about 4" long in a 19" wheel :D

• Like 1

Racing Vincent? Comet? Rapide? Shadow?? Do tell lad...

Various HRD engines, the 500 is from a comet with various mods carried out (not entirely sure on the details but at one point my dad was looking at machining himself some titanium rockers :) ). Motors were fed by an 1 3/4" amal per pot, the exhaust is 2" throughout tuned to 44" long if I recall correctly. In all honesty my dad was terrified of the litre motor and tended to stick with the 500, it would lift its head in top gear and was geared for 80 in first :o

The frame he designed himself and was built for him, based off a featherbed front end mated onto a twinshock swingarm, vincent/HRD girdraulics up front to deal with the steering; Geoff Duke (I'm sure it was Geoff Duke but don't quote me on it!) rode a couple of laps round a track on it and claimed it steered like a tram - on rails rather than juddering and shaking :D

Eventually it would be nice to be able to get it on the road, would need a reasonable amount of work legalising it though, in the mean time I have my 1936 norton international 500 that needs restoring!

• Like 1

Various HRD engines, the 500 is from a comet with various mods carried out (not entirely sure on the details but at one point my dad was looking at machining himself some titanium rockers :) ). Motors were fed by an 1 3/4" amal per pot, the exhaust is 2" throughout tuned to 44" long if I recall correctly. In all honesty my dad was terrified of the litre motor and tended to stick with the 500, it would lift its head in top gear and was geared for 80 in first :o

This does not surprise me in the slightest... 1000 Vinnies made good sidecar, sprint and drag engines for a reason.

The frame he designed himself and was built for him, based off a featherbed front end mated onto a twinshock swingarm, vincent/HRD girdraulics up front to deal with the steering; (I'm sure it was Geoff Duke but don't quote me on it!) rode a couple of laps round a track on it and claimed it steered like a tram - on rails rather than juddering and shaking :D

Despite never even sitting on a norvin I'm of the opinion that this is the greatest combination ever conceived - I'll go take a photo to post of the classic bike guide cover with a Stile Itallia wideline rapide Norvin that made have a minor accident in tesco :wub:

Out of all my dad's projects, his incomplete rapide in a '59 featherbed with a commando 5 speed and cush hub is the one I most want to get my grubby mits on. With prices the way they are it's the only vincent i'll ever get to work on.

in the mean time I have my 1936 norton international 500 that needs restoring!

D**k'ed.

:P

Edited by CC12345678910

Did I mention that at one point my dad had 5 Vincent's in the workshop? Now down to 3, a series A HRD, the race bike and the W*. He sold two series A to Sammy Miller a few years back.

My uncle has a couple of vins as well and tours Europe on his black Prince. He also has a couple of brough superiors, one off which previously registered to one T.E.Lawrence :)

My godfather ( who unfortunately passed away last year) was past president of the Vincent owners club and was certainly something of a guru about the series A. RIP Bob.

I probably shouldn't mention my dad's 1903 steam powered bike, Google Haleson steam bike and you'll come up with something. Sadly it doesn't get ridden anymore, with the onset of Alzheimer's my dad no longer had the faculties or memory of how to run it; I believe my mum and dad display it as a static these days though.

*The Vincent W is a 2stroke 250 powered by a water cooled villiers motor, only three are believed to be extant now :o

Edited by forteh

• 2 weeks later...

Probably an mot failure. Realistically though so long as it doesn't rub badly enough that the rotor gets hot and boils the fluid or threatens to lock the wheel I doubt it'll be any real issue.

Ah fair enough. MOT isn't really an issue for now, since it's on Manx plates!

• Like 1

I just got sent a pleasing image from my mechanic - seems my engine is ready. It's had a full top-end rebuild with all new gaskets, seals etc, new piston rings, residue cleaned off the valves. Clutch overhaul and casing polish, plus I bought a brand new Keihin 38CR carb for it. Looking awesome, if I may say so myself. Hopefully by Monday when I go to see him he'll have it back in the bike with the new wheels and overhauled forks. I need to deliver new brake/clutch/decompression levers so that he can get it on the road and out for a tune-up.

post-4758-0-35585500-1428671617_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I went to see the mechanic yesterday. He had the engine fitted in the bike so I was able to take it for a quick ride up and down his street (without a front brake, since the genuine Yamaha cables I have don't fit the adjusters on the Amal replica levers, so new cables are being made). Feels pretty damn good, and that's before he's tuned it properly. Unfortunately though the petrol tank is leaking, my new expensive front mudguard still hasn't shown up and it's going to be at least a week before the tuning is done. This project has taken ages so far.

The other problem I have is that the reverse cone silencer is just obnoxiously loud and I don't like it, so need to find a different one.

Opinions please....

Triumph Daytona 675 (not R) or Yamaha R6.

I fancy trying a sportbike and I've seen a couple of the above that I like and shall be test riding both, just thought someone here may have some experience of owning either that they may wish to contribute.

675 any day of the week. Judging by your choice I would say you're leaning towards 2co or 13S R6? Far too peaky for the road, virtually no useable power. The 675 however is a blinding machine, and more than capable on track too. Plus that triple soundtrack and the raw induction noise is reason in itself! No brainer!

On a side note, glad to see this thread is still going! (I used to use this forum ages ago, but I can't access my old account.

Think I had my Telefonica K2 GSXR600 when I last posted! I lived in Oz and had a J1 ZX6R, K1 750 (Yoshimura EVERYTHING), a couple of dirt bikes (YZ125/250) and then came back, bought my old Telefonica back and then sold it in 2013. Had a E46 BMW for winter, then bought a CB500 (right laugh, upset all my friends on 600 sport bikes in the lanes) and a K1 GSXR1000 which I still currently have! Spent a fortune on it, Brembo MC, 5VY R1 monobloc brakes, K4 1000 forks, Power Commander and Quickshifter, TRE, Akrapovic system to name a few bits. Love the thing! She moves so well for an old bus; I most of 2014 upsetting trackday 'heroes' on sorted S1K's that they couldn't ride them.

10699073_10204686922272257_267240300_n.j

Yet still, I find myself looking to sell it and get something like a 675, which shows how good they really are! Knew that story was relevant somehow.

Sorry for the life story, figured I'd make a post worth posting on this limited count!

Edited by Joe Sheehan

My ol fella calls marquez the little shit. :giggle: I've got alot of respect for the older riders like rossi, pedrosa, dovitsioso etc. but marquez? Nah. On the whole I've no time for motoGP and havent watched it since the beeb stopped doing the coverage (on freeview) and now ITV4 is doing 3rd hand scraps badly cut from eurosport and shoehorned into 50mins including ads, I can't say I miss it. Same for BSB too.

Nah, road racing is most certainly where it's at.

Anyone Know if BBC NI stream the NW200 coverage online? (legally, not filling my computer with crap from torrents etc.)

It's not legal but it also has nothing to do with torrents or anything like that: http://www.drakulastream.eu/motor-sports-live-streaming-video.html

I've watched a load of F1 and MotoGP through that in the past with no problems. They cover channels from all over the world so if the races are covered by any channel they'll most likely be there too.

EDIT: That said, thinking about it, I'm almost certain I watched the NW200 last year live through the BBC Sports website...

It's not legal but it also has nothing to do with torrents or anything like that: http://www.drakulastream.eu/motor-sports-live-streaming-video.html

I've watched a load of F1 and MotoGP through that in the past with no problems. They cover channels from all over the world so if the races are covered by any channel they'll most likely be there too.

Spam/shite/clogware free and everything? I need BBC northern Ireland for the North West 200 and would like to watch the FIM MX2/MX1 GP motocross on Motors tv if possible because we aint got a fancy TV. Oh and the united sports car championship to see what Matt Farah was on about

I've got Ghostery and Adblock Plus plug-ins on Chrome so if there was anything it didn't get through. The way it works seems pretty clean though, there's a load of links and usually the one they recommend works pretty well. Not always broadcast quality but still good enough generally speaking.

I just checked on BBC Sport and you can watch the NW200 through there, or at least you could last year. They've even still got the highlights and stuff up. As a result you can just watch the proper stream through their site, but the rest of the stuff you mentioned will probably be on that link I posted before.