The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Anyone want to buy a 600 hornet for little money? It's sitting in the garden and I need to make room, needs a bit of tlc and tidying but generally solid and cheap. Make a perfect winter hack/commuter. It's currently sorn so will need to be trailered ideally.

What does little money mean? I could consider a bargain...

I shall start the bidding at £300. :P

Edited by Muel

It dothn't have an mot unfortunately although I believe it will pass one without great expenditure. Like I said it needs tlc to get back on the road but should be good for the test.

Bad points:-

Pretty high mileage at around 54k on a 52 plate but then it's a cbr motor and will run for ever.

Cosmetically it's rough around the edges, half faired, cracked section on front right corner, screen is crazed and cracked but intact, graze on the left hand of the seat pod. There is probably some salt pitting to the fork legs, it has been ridden through some hard winters.

The chain and sprockets have actually only covered a few hundred miles but have suffered from surface rust (see above winter riding) a clean up with a wire brush and good soak in lube may well see them useable.

The rear disk is shot and will need changing for the mot, they're only cheap though and I have new OE pads for them somewhere.

Needs a battery.

Tyres are still legal I think but would have to confirm.

Needs a couple of fixings replacing on the airfilter cover bodywork - not essential just cosmetic.

Dent in the top of the tank.

Good points:-

Engine bars so the important bit is protected when you drop it.

Cam chain adjuster replaced a couple of thousand miles ago, engine was sound when last run with zero oil consumption or smoke.

New front ebc prolite disks and honda pads, covered about 1k miles.

Symco heated grips.

Leather tank cover hides aforementioned dent :D

In all honesty less than 300 quid will get it back on the road, I just don't have the time or inclination to sort it and I am unlikey to ride it anyways (the supermoto is much more fun!). It's pretty fast, reliable and comfy, just a bit rough around the edges.

300 quid isn't a bad starting bid, it owes me more than that but as it needs work doing I would rather someone gets a bargain and the bike is ridden. Would need collection from lichfield, staffordshire mind :)

Edited by forteh

Hmmmmm very tempted... Got some pics? Collecting from Lichfield wouldn't be the end most difficult thing for me to sort out.

I'll do some investigating today, would be a good step up from my VT once sorted. :)

When you say "needs a battery" does it currently have one fitted? I'd just like to hear it running.

to be honest, sounds exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for, consider my dibs in.

EDIT: At the risk of sounding like a girl, what colour is it?

Edited by Muel

There is a battery but it's so flat it might not even work with jump leads, with a shot though. It will need an oil change at some point as its been stood for a couple of years but that shouldn't be much hassle.

It's silver with black leather tank cover, looks quite smart imho but obviously needs a good bit of tidying.

Oh and it will come with a pair of axle lift stands so you can work on it easily :D

edit: Not got any pictures, will get it out after the wedding and sees what I can do.

edit2: looks a bit like this but with a black tank

2002-52-Honda-CB600F-Hornet-600cc-Commut

Edited by forteh

Wedding is on Saturday, not going on honeymoon immediately but going away in October. Should be able to get photos next week.

Oh and you can have the bike cover with it as well.

Edited by forteh

Ah cool, congrats!

Cheers that'd be useful. My bikes have to live outside unfortunately.

Have you got the V5? How about a manual? Ever been an insurance write off?

Edited by Muel

I really want to build a Yamaha SR500 cafe racer. In the absence of any Tritons or Norton Commandos kicking about here (Bangkok, Thailand), it's my best bet at having an affordable classic looking bike. I've seen a really nice one in town, and it used to have a for sale sign on it. Need to find out if the guy wants to get shot. If not, will try to build my own, something like this...

yam_sr500_bk_seat_011.jpg

• Like 1

may be of interest

Thanks but I am living abroad. I'll keep an eye out for one that's running, drag it into my apartment and strip it down and work on it one bit at a time. The big problem here is getting all the right paperwork, because like in the UK, cops seize bikes without correct paperwork. And being a foreigner you get stopped all the time...

ah, ok.

So here's the bike since I've taken delivery (yes I got the bloke to deliver it within the price, as I'm still a learner)

Not too shabby for an 18yr old bike.

It's been garaged all its life and has had 2 new tyres, new front caliper seals and master cylinder and new fork seals, all within the last 1000miles.

Starts on the button with no nasty noises, had a friend test ride it and all seems tight. I've just changed the oil and filter as, although the oil was clean enough, the filter looked beaten up!

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01507.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

few little marks here and there but definitely not bad.

Plan is to run this for the rest of the summer to get more comfortable/confident on a bigger bike, use it as a winter hack, whilst next summer I'll get something new and shiney!

• Like 1

Went on the back of mates 125cc motorbike the other day to go somewhere... I proper loved the rush although he wasn't driving fast at all, stayed within speed limit etc.

Really makes me want to get a bike.

Are they cheap to own/insure? How easy is the test to do? I do a fair bit of road cycling and driven for 2 years so know the road laws well, I've heard the motorbike test is done via headphones and I definitely won't be able to understand the instructor...

to get on a 125 all you need is a CBT, which is pretty much un-failable.

I'm 28 and the bandit above is going to cost £130 to insure fully comp (with no no-claims and a new licence) so pretty cheap, though if you're younger it will obviously be more,

Mod 1 test is done on an enclosed test center, basically a glorified CBT but under test conditions.

Mod 2 test is the road ride where you'll be followed by an examiner and you'll be in radio contact.

During training for Mod 1 and 2 you will be in radio contact with your instructor.

I had no desire to ride a motorbike until a couple of months ago, now I'm hooked.

I'm deaf though, how would I do the radio contact bit?

Doesn't sound too hard to be fair.

as you know i wear hearing aids, got my full license, its do able! i ended up wearing my hearing aids in my helmet with there radio system over my hearing aids, lead too ALOT of discomfort and struggled too hear in noisy situations but it was well worth it, i found the dsa radio equipment was alot clearer and could hear every word the examiner said.

so yeah, get in-touch with a instructor and have a chat/try the radio gear on whats best with your hearing.

• Like 1

Went on the back of mates 125cc motorbike the other day to go somewhere... I proper loved the rush although he wasn't driving fast at all, stayed within speed limit etc.

Really makes me want to get a bike.

Are they cheap to own/insure? How easy is the test to do? I do a fair bit of road cycling and driven for 2 years so know the road laws well, I've heard the motorbike test is done via headphones and I definitely won't be able to understand the instructor...

what bike was that that you rode? 2/4 stroke?

Yeah exactly why I sorta want one of my own now cause if that felt quick then by myself would be pretty sweet.

how many stroke does that bike have?

You want a 2 stroke anyway. As legally you can drive A1 bikes up to 125 ccm and 15 Hp, but if you would take out the restrictions (it is illegal and you should not do it khhhmmm...) then you should get something like 34 Hp, agressive power curves, nice sounds and wet panties everywhere