The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Is it smoke or water condensate from the exhaust? Should dissapear once the motor is hot if its just water :)

It could be that oil pooled above the valve guides when it tipped over and the hydrostatic head was more than the stem seals could hold once righted so would drip down into the cylinders.

This could well be my first post in here! But you know about having to have your engine restricted.. what is there to stop you removing the restriction? And how often would it be like checked etc? Just seems like, it'd be like easy to remove no? Shoot me down im ready to learn !!

Is it smoke or water condensate from the exhaust? Should dissapear once the motor is hot if its just water :)

It could be that oil pooled above the valve guides when it tipped over and the hydrostatic head was more than the stem seals could hold once righted so would drip down into the cylinders.

Ah cheers guys, Defo a smokey smell! Am i right in thinking if it has gone in the cylinders it will burn it hence the white smokey stuff? this shouldn't harm it much?

Edited by trials owns

This could well be my first post in here! But you know about having to have your engine restricted.. what is there to stop you removing the restriction? And how often would it be like checked etc? Just seems like, it'd be like easy to remove no? Shoot me down im ready to learn !!

All you need is a restrictors certificate because certain insurance company's ask for it, Or some sort of proof such as dyno (This i read is not a legal requirement i heard) and the actual bike to be restricted, They will not view the bike. Yes nothing to stop you removing the restriction but be well aware its illegal and the insurance company's may not pay out in-even off accidents if they take it for testing

Restrictors vary, They can be throttle stops, Washer type things by the carb but mine is directly under the seat with a small plastic box , Being connected by one wire! Because its restricted my old one is present. So it can easily be derestricted in a matter of minutes!

Ah cheers guys, Defo a smokey smell! Am i right in thinking if it has gone in the cylinders it will burn it hence the white smokey stuff? this shouldn't harm it much?

Provided it's just residual oil then it'll burn itself out and clear through. Keep an eye on the oil level and also if it keeps doing it after a few minutes there could be a bigger problem.

Just booked a Track-Day for 3 weeks time at Castle Combe on my 2001 Kawasaki ZX9R... It better not bloody rain!!!

All you need is a restrictors certificate because certain insurance company's ask for it, Or some sort of proof such as dyno (This i read is not a legal requirement i heard) and the actual bike to be restricted, They will not view the bike. Yes nothing to stop you removing the restriction but be well aware its illegal and the insurance company's may not pay out in-even off accidents if they take it for testing

Restrictors vary, They can be throttle stops, Washer type things by the carb but mine is directly under the seat with a small plastic box , Being connected by one wire! Because its restricted my old one is present. So it can easily be derestricted in a matter of minutes!

I had a restricted 600 Diversion that I de-restricted, it was just a case of removing the restricting plates from between the inlet manifolds and the block, I had a crash on that and insurance didn't check my bike, but I've heard of insurance companies not paying out due to oversized tires so I guess it depends on the insurance company and the value of the claim.

I guess I got off lucky when I highsided at kinsham raceway, was trying to learn to back it into a hairpin and the rear tyre decided to grip; got catapulted face first into the tarmac! The only lasting problem seems to be the inability to completely focus my right eye in the dark. Hope you mend ok :)

• Like 1

I'm trying to get a DT125 up and running again after it's been sitting in the garage for a few years but the little bugger won't start!

The battery (obviously) went on charge and now lights everything up and seems to be working to an ok standard and I've got a replacement spark plug, but it doesn't seem to be sparking. I have no idea what to look at next and how to test it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

If the plug cap is removable, unscrew it, cut the HT lead back a bit so a fresh bit of rubber and copper cable is accessible and screw the cap back on; a small self tapping screw inside the plug cap screws down the centre of the rubber and contacts with the copper wire core. If its a moulded on plug then look at getting a new coil/HT lead (sometimes the moulded on plug might screw into the coil), also check all the connections around the coil for possible earth shortages.

Once you have a strong spark the next bit is to make sure its getting fuel :)

• Like 1

If the plug cap is removable, unscrew it, cut the HT lead back a bit so a fresh bit of rubber and copper cable is accessible and screw the cap back on; a small self tapping screw inside the plug cap screws down the centre of the rubber and contacts with the copper wire core. If its a moulded on plug then look at getting a new coil/HT lead (sometimes the moulded on plug might screw into the coil), also check all the connections around the coil for possible earth shortages.

Once you have a strong spark the next bit is to make sure its getting fuel :)

Cheers mate. I can do the baiscs - fuel/spark. But I've never really had to deal with the HT lead or distributor etc.

From what you've said, the HT lead will probably need to be replaced (big moulded rubber shroud + casing). Oh well, it will keep me busy.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

After another play and a bit of spark plug modification, a spark was identified and my dad ended up getting it to a garage. Probably the best call, since it needed two new tyres anyway. But it wouldn't start because petrol deposits had solidified in the bottom of the tank, fuel tap, carb etc. So it turns out I didn't check the fuel properly.

Also the clutch plates had stuck together, so a new clutch is on order. So a lot of hassle due to complete negligence of basic maintenance. Lesson learnt.

So, I thought I'd put this in here, I've always loved Motorbikes, but A. I've never been able to afford one, and B. My dad's brother died on one and I was named after him which has made my family sort of against the idea of me ever getting one. Today I went on one, I started on a semi auto 50cc little scrambler with three gears, it was amazing. Then I got a go on a proper scrambler, 250cc, 5 gears, clutch and all, it was amazing. Proper buzzing my tits off. Was really cool, I know some of you probably are thinking "and" but to the other motorbike enthusiasts, I'm sure you all know that feeling of your first proper ride etc. I wasn't wearing a helmet which was retarded, but it was in a field with just me flying around and I didn't really go beyond 3rd gear and about 35-40ish, I know that doesn't make it any better, but the whole wind in my hair just grinning as I flew around was very very awesome lol.

A work colleuge who was interested in buying my scooter, lets for arguments sake call him "dickhead a" asked for a ride round the carpark (privately owned) said he had experience and if he broke it he'd buy it. Then proceeded to ride into a wall.

Pissed is not the word.

Going to price it up tomorrow but think I'm just going to have to tell him he may as well buy it. I know it sounds stupid but I know my dad will f**k him up if he trys to get out of it.....

so stuck in the middle lol