Jury Service

Revolver

Well, I got a letter in the post. Looks like I won jury duty! Wish I'd've won the euromillions instead.

Totally not feeling it but it's duty, isn't it?

Problem is the date I'm due there is the week I've got my graduation. I wonder if I can get out of doing it?

Anyone else got any jury duty stories?

I've done it, did it about a year ago.

It's dead easy dude. Nothing to worry about. You won't get out of doing it but there helpful when it comes to deferring dates, I changed mine as I was on holiday. Plus they paid pretty well for doing it!

Pretty sure there are ways to get out of it (normally if you're self employed or other "good" reasons), but its normally moved to a different date rather than just cancelled. I'd be quite interested to do it in all honesty!

Pretty sure you're not meant to talk about it though :P

They'll only pay any loss of earnings, you can't turn up as a dole dosser and claim the maximum (around £70) a day! If you run your own business however, and by pure chance hadn't yet completed a tax return to prove income, you can be losing as much money as you like!

They will pay for your travel regardless, and food as said, and if you don't spend your food budget you get the money instead.

After 2 weeks I came out with near enough £800, and apart from the days and days of waiting around to see if you'll be picked I really enjoyed it! So much so, I elected myself as foreman for the second case we did :sweatingbullets:

They gave me the choice to opt out of doing it altogether (long, boring story) but my mum talked me into doing it in the end because she enjoyed it quite a lot too, glad she did! :)

I've just been called up as well, and because of where I live (central London) it's a pretty major court where they mainly get high profile cases, should be pretty interesting!

That said, I think I'll feel a bit uncomfortable in that situation because I'm not the biggest fan of the law/this system (tin foil hats!), seems pretty hypocritical to be judging sitting there judging someone else while I break it in my own little ways. I just reaally hope it's not for something stupidly minor and nit picky, or anything like cannabis/graffiti etc.

My RE teacher in school told us how she'd been drafted in for it twice and managed to get out of it both times, but I can't remember what she said.

The form's in the post now anyway, lets see what they say about my graduation.

I've just been called up as well, and because of where I live (central London) it's a pretty major court where they mainly get high profile cases, should be pretty interesting!

That said, I think I'll feel a bit uncomfortable in that situation because I'm not the biggest fan of the law/this system (tin foil hats!), seems pretty hypocritical to be judging sitting there judging someone else while I break it in my own little ways. I just reaally hope it's not for something stupidly minor and nit picky, or anything like cannabis/graffiti etc.

I believe its the role of the jury not to apply the law word for word as such but to decide whether that person "deserves" a guilty verdict, so you can apply your own morals to the case. After all, if we were just laying down the law as its written we'd have no need for a jury anyway...

I believe its the role of the jury not to apply the law word for word as such but to decide whether that person "deserves" a guilty verdict, so you can apply your own morals to the case. After all, if we were just laying down the law as its written we'd have no need for a jury anyway...

That's not the impression I got, I thought the jury was literally there to apply whether, by the letter of the law, they're guilty. What sentence the judge then gives them is where morals and deserving comes into it?

Otherwise for minor crimes surely they might just end up with a load of sympathetic people not going by the law?