Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

All that stuff you just said, in one ear, out the other :D

PBC design to me is drawing it up on a 286 running windows 3.1 and easypc, printing it onto the pcb and etching it, this is going back 20+ year though to when my dad was a mechatronic engineer/inventor and designed all his own circuitry :)

Oh I see. Wasn't aware taking a dump affected the site.

Is there any way I can upload the DB via FTP or SSH? phpMyAdmin will timeout and I think the size limit is 130meg.

Exporting/importing a 500mb database shouldn't take more than a minute or two via ssh. I wouldn't try and use phpmyadmin to do it. TF backups are a few gb and they get dumped nightly.

• 2 weeks later...

Alreet peeps. I'm in need of some thermal paste, for some first time computer fixing (hopefully, he says, sheepishly) on the fan/heatsink assembly of me Mam's lappymatop. A quick google gives a multitude of results, most of them ebay listings that could be utter toss for all I know, then some others that seem to be more expensive & poss. better but without knowledge i'm not going to see the justification, am I?

I see 3 types of products for the most part; Silicone, Silver infused, sh1t with gold flakes in?

In short I don't want to waste money on crap, even if it is as little as £1.99 a tube.

What do you builders use then? Brand names would be a start, or simply what I should be looking for in a product, links if you feel like it.

Cheers,

Ciaran

So:

Sylicone: they work, but I have worked with them, honestly they are not the greatest

Silver: it is very good, good for most usage

Gold, liquid metal and stuff: not needed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arctic-MX-2-Thermal-Paste-4g-Cooling-for-PC-XBOX-360-PS3-no-Silver-/111476961965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f48b72ad

This is a proper paste, I use it and I get good temperatures.

Make sure that you clean with the CPU and the cooler with isopropyhl alcohol ( you should get some wipes from your local pharmacy) and then apply a small pea size in the middle

Forget about the credit card version or make an X or something, the Pea method is the best. When you will apply the heatsink it will be nice and even. and if you need to take off the cooler after the pasting, you need to repaste it

So:

Sylicone: they work, but I have worked with them, honestly they are not the greatest

Silver: it is very good, good for most usage

Gold, liquid metal and stuff: not needed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arctic-MX-2-Thermal-Paste-4g-Cooling-for-PC-XBOX-360-PS3-no-Silver-/111476961965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f48b72ad

This is a proper paste, I use it and I get good temperatures.

Make sure that you clean with the CPU and the cooler with isopropyhl alcohol ( you should get some wipes from your local pharmacy) and then apply a small pea size in the middle

Forget about the credit card version or make an X or something, the Pea method is the best. When you will apply the heatsink it will be nice and even. and if you need to take off the cooler after the pasting, you need to repaste it

That was actually my prime candidate - it seemed the best quality/claimed spec/value. Hey mabye I know something after all eh?

Isopropyhl alcohol (must admit I cut and pasted that) is glasses wipes right? And you don't spread this stuff about?

Every other piece of info i've found tonight says about using credit cards, spatula, business card etc that you poked fun at.

But I trust TF to be the informative, no misinformation, no bullshit version of proceedings be it computers, bikes, or er, anything really.

Cheers mush, I'll bookmark that stuff now.

That was actually my prime candidate - it seemed the best quality/claimed spec/value. Hey mabye I know something after all eh?

Isopropyhl alcohol (must admit I cut and pasted that) is glasses wipes right? And you don't spread this stuff about?

Every other piece of info i've found tonight says about using credit cards, spatula, business card etc that you poked fun at.

But I trust TF to be the informative, no misinformation, no bullshit version of proceedings be it computers, bikes, or er, anything really.

Cheers mush, I'll bookmark that stuff now.

I used both, and this one seems decent for me

Isoprophyl alcohol is a 98% alcohol solution, that swipes stuff really clean, leaves no residue behind.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isopropyl-Alcohol-Wipes-Swabs-for-Tattoo-Piercing-Nails-NHS-Grade-70-IPA-/130902799106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1e7a6a3302

Here is ten for £1, but ask your local pharmacy they should have a few for cheaper. I tried different solutions, like nail polish remover, but that does not work, and you want a 100% clean surface for better conductivity

So what you do:

1st step: Take off heatsink. If it stuck to the cpu twist it, DO NOT try to pull it off with force!

2: clean everything, the CPU and the heatsink. if you just bought it, clean it too, it will not hurt it. DO NOT touch the CPU or heatsinks part where it connects the CPU, it will get greasy and dirty

3: apply a pea size ball in the middle of CPU. Does not need to be huge. With this technique you will eliminate the possibility of air bubbles(=bad) whereas the credit card and likes are introducing bubbles

4: push the heatsink down in 1 move to the CPU then lock it into place.

Tadaaa, you have done it!

Anyone have any experience with UPS? I'm curious to know what type of money I'd need to spend to either just power my computer for a few seconds (95% of power outages for me are less than 2 seconds) or to keep it running for a few mins? 600W power supply and could be using the majority of that, and maybe run one 27" monitor through it.

I need an HDMI to VGA adapter / cable / thing.

They range from £1.99 to £199 pretty much.

Are the cheap cables likely to be useless?

I've bought a new graphics card and it has DVI and HDMI on it, both monitors are VGA. My DVI to VGA is fine, but I know HDMI is a different kettle of fish...

Any tips?

I need an HDMI to VGA adapter / cable / thing.

They range from £1.99 to £199 pretty much.

Are the cheap cables likely to be useless?

I've bought a new graphics card and it has DVI and HDMI on it, both monitors are VGA. My DVI to VGA is fine, but I know HDMI is a different kettle of fish...

Any tips?

think you have to spend some money. I've tried a cheap adaptor, and they dont work.

The problem is dvi-i carries digital and analogue signals, so it's easy to get dvi to vga as you basically just re-connecting the pins.

hdmi is purely digital, so to connect it to a vga monitor, the adaptor has to convert the signal from digital to analogue, if that makes sence?

I'm the king of buying nonsensical adapters. Any pieces of cable that have HDMI one end and VGA the other are borderline scams.

Are the monitors super old? Most come with DVI these days.

You're right though, new monitor time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one for you.

Just had a serious bout of confusion with the mrs over a text from her which added in a sentence. Referred to Brighton so might be remnants of a conversation we had months previously (I half recognise the sentence). Been searching online and a few people have had similar things happen but with some more explicit/ serious shit included out of nowhere in texts that they'd never spoken about before. We both screenshotted it and what was sent isn't what I received, seems very odd. Same network, i've got an iphone 5c, she's got a 4s, sent as sms because iMessage is wank.

Anyone ever heard of similar stuff happening? Do I need to go and ask Dave if he has a spare foil hat?

What network you on?

seems like a network fault, provide some feedback to your network, it might help them to sort out these glitches

Or your network is run by tge illumaniti

you could never know

Been enjoying GTA V on mine actually. Much more enjoyable to play than on my PS4, one of the reasons I barely did the story was it ran like poop. I mainly played it online with friends.

The game actually runs pretty well. I can have pretty much all settings on very high apart from textures (normal) due to the memory limit on my 660s, which FRAPS says 60fps almost everywhere but I have to lower them to high as I get microstutter which is very annoying to play. Maybe just the effects of my SLI cards but settings in high still looks very good.

EDIT: This game is odd. Just restored settings to default. Then turned up settings one by one to see which I can turn up without getting microstutter, now I have settings higher than before with no microstutter...??

Edited by weirdoku

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience using Video Copilot or more specifically Sure Target? I have an issue that I have no idea how to resolve.

I am creating a typography lyric video using ST and I have reached 100 target layers but still have more to go.
Is there a possible way to add either a second ST effect to my pre-existing Null Object or create a second Null Object and put ST over that? When I attempt the first option it chooses preference over the new ST and wont run the first ST effect. When attempting the second option I cannot create a second ST Camera layer to anchor the ST layer to.
It seems like the only way I can continue is to export my video at 100 full layers in as high of a quality as I can, start a new composition, import that video and sync the audio up and continue from there. Any help or videos you an point me to? Would gladly appreciate it!
Thanks!

Building a facebook machine for either two potential family members who both need a pc, or if neither are interested might use it for myself. Goal is to make something solid with good reliable parts for super cheap. Spent 2-3 weeks checking deals and buying them up.

This is what I have so far.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jonathantrillo/saved/#view=kMMKHx

What I actually paid for the parts are:

Motherboard: $29.99
Memory: $26.99
SSD: $49.99
Video Card: $29.99
Power Supply $19.99
Case (not shown on part list) $25.99

The video card is an old one I had laying around, thought it paired nicely with the lack of digital out on the MOBO.

Pre-processor total of $183 which I'm pretty happy with for what I'm getting.

My question is what processor? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116974 this is the cheapest and well rated, but all intel processors are. Would it be worth spending $20-$40 more or would this be a good buy? Quad core is out of the question unfortunately.

My question is what processor? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116974 this is the cheapest and well rated, but all intel processors are. Would it be worth spending $20-$40 more or would this be a good buy? Quad core is out of the question unfortunately.

I'd go with this one personally JT. Slightly more expensive but 50% more cache and a small bump in clockspeed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116950

I'm making a nerdy comeback in style, just ordered the major components for a new build. :P 5820k (6 core!), 16gb Corsair Vengance DDR4 @ 2800mhz, Asus X99-S motherboard and 2x Gigabyte 4gb GTX960 G1 graphics cards. GTAV time!

Edited by Muel

Hey guys! Haven't been here in a while.

Got a question for y'all. Im looking to install Windows 7 on my old macbook pro running Yosemite. Because Yosemite just hogs disk space! Only problem is, I only own an 8gb SD card. I know how to manually create a bootable USB/SD Card via Terminal. But when it comes to using Boot Camp and going through the process, it only allows me to use USB and not the SD Card.

Does anyone have any solution or workaround? I don't want to be running OS X at all.