Hope Pro 2 + Snail Cams

Jon Alty

Hi,

Bought myself a new Speedrace Fans frame not realising the snail cams were on the inside. Theres no space on the outside for snail cams, so they have to be run on the inside. Can I stretch out the chainstays and squeeze the snail cams in or is that just a poor bodge job? If not apart from modifying the hub (which i dont really want to do), is there anything I can do? Would like to keep the Pro 2, but if not I guess I'll need to run a FFW :\

Frame spacing allows for cams to be ran on outside plus the pro2 bolts have a fair bit of thread on them. As for running inside i don't think it may be possible due to there been a few mil spacing between the lock ring of the hub and the dropout.

I tend to come across the occasional problem where my chain goes slack even with the cams set at original tensioning position? ( Is this normal?)

I know on the standard ozonys showed on tarty where it is running a screw on hub the cams appear to be on the inside.

Frame spacing allows for cams to be ran on outside plus the pro2 bolts have a fair bit of thread on them. As for running inside i don't think it may be possible due to there been a few mil spacing between the lock ring of the hub and the dropout.

I tend to come across the occasional problem where my chain goes slack even with the cams set at original tensioning position? ( Is this normal?)

I know on the standard ozonys showed on tarty where it is running a screw on hub the cams appear to be on the inside.

Theres a recess in the frame on the outside which is too small for snail cams to go in, so it can't be done.

I would personally try what Duncy and I have suggested before you start modifying things.

New end caps can be bought for £10. I'd rather do it properly for the sake of 10 mins grinding :P

Tried this yesterday and my wheel was wonky as hell lol, setting up HS33s is a pain in the ass as it is, let alone when your wheel wont stay straight lol

Do you mean it moved, or you set it wonky?

If you set it wonky, then it will be wonky. If you set it up straight, then it will be straight... (sorry, couldn't think of a better way to put that!)

If you go down the no-cam route, then the way you tighten the bolts up will be important. You need to tighten one a little, then the other a little, and so on rather than just beasting one up then doing the other. I recently had to run a setup where I was using horizontal dropouts with a Pro 2 without a chain tug/cam and it held in place fine. Just make sure you get grease on the bolt to help get it that bit tighter (Y)

Yeah, most fixed hubs are 129mm, so you can then run 2 3mm snail cams to make it up to 135mm. Hopes are just 135mm though.

Drill a cleance hole in the snail cam just of centre near axle hole. Get longer bolts and bolt the cams on to the chain stay.

Might need a counter sunk bolt for drive side

You need to play about with the position of them then take the wheel out to do the drive side up.

You can just use the non drive side to get the tenstion.

Or just machine the hub