How Long Before Everyones Dual Disc?

customrider-Rhys

Fair enough. Not tried one but the downsides such as all the weight out the back (24" needing a larger rotor than 20") and my main gripe with disks for TGS is the lack of hold on sharp corners.

But as the saying goes, one mans pie is another mans chips; each to their own.

When Ali's brakes aren't perfect I sort of want to stove his face in most of the time because it'll generally involve most rides consisting of the phrase "That would've held if I had a V-Brake", but since he put some MT2s then Saints on he hasn't complained once which is a pretty good sign. For rails, edges, rocks and so on they actually seem alright really. I guess his might be skewed a bit because the deep-wall rims and Hope hubs mean he's running 228mm spokes which are pretty stumpy (so help to reduce a bit of that spoke flex), but in general they don't seem too bad. Most of Ali's riding isn't necessarily pure TGS shit any more, but I've seen him do some pretty legit, brake-testing trials lines that haven't been an issue.

EDIT: From an editor's point of view, discs also rule - I was doing a little video before which had some old and some new footage of Ali, and having Magura noise popping up mid-clip was an unwelcome addition. 'cos Ali's been running dual disc for so long now I'd forgotten how wank honking brakes are :P

• Like 1

To answer to everyone regards to my query on the 36h business. I am currently running a 2002 onza mega wide rim non drilled sprayed black its a replica of the old dx32.

I also have spare rims in 36h as my hub is still going strong with no problems yet as i have had it since 2006. I have only ever broke one rim and that was a try-all which was 3 years old and i managed to egg it which also had 6-10 flat spots. The spare rims i have is:

1x anodised gold revell drilled 36h (Brand new)

2x 24/7 drilled 47mm rims 36h ( Brand new)

These which i managed to get of ebay and a friend.

I even have a 2004 onza alex 32h non drilled rim as a spare if i ever want to go front maggie ;-)

A lot of these new 32h rims some of the company's mainly seem to focus on weight rather than structure. Well thats how i see it.

Maaaaybe... We built up that aforementioned dual disc Neon for someone and it felt alright. It'd be interesting to try out the dual disc Curve 24" full build too.

I know the guy who built up the dual disc neon bow 24". The spokes are still flexy even when hand tested, so I can imagine it'd be far worse on a 26". His dual disc stock was atrocious for spoke flex.

To answer to everyone regards to my query on the 36h business. I am currently running a 2002 onza mega wide rim non drilled sprayed black its a replica of the old dx32.

I also have spare rims in 36h as my hub is still going strong with no problems yet as i have had it since 2006. I have only ever broke one rim and that was a try-all which was 3 years old and i managed to egg it which also had 6-10 flat spots. The spare rims i have is:

1x anodised gold revell drilled 36h (Brand new)

2x 24/7 drilled 47mm rims 36h ( Brand new)

These which i managed to get of ebay and a friend.

I even have a 2004 onza alex 32h non drilled rim as a spare if i ever want to go front maggie ;-)

A lot of these new 32h rims some of the company's mainly seem to focus on weight rather than structure. Well thats how i see it.

Why do you have such a strength obsession. You're bike could be 2kg lighter, cause the riding you do isn't very harsh. You seem to not do massive drops, so you don't need all this unnecessary weight.

NO.

Buut anyhow, sorry dual disc haters but it's the way forward! It's sooo superior and just better in pretty much every way, maybe not for stocks but deffo for mod's and 24. Bare in mind that I've nothing against rim brakes, but disc are just better.

Who runs saints we need to get both bikes together and do a test.

If I have new forks and front disc on my steel 24" soon I will enter a comp on it just to prove a point

Makes sense for 24" street riders for the manuals and the general fluidity of it all.

Euan (Beaden) got saints recently and as a TGS style rider they scare me they're so powerful. Was up to fronting a curb in it the other day (like a boss) and the front tyre skidded a good foot. I was proper over the bars and wasn't expecting it to lock more than my maggies do, but it did. Scary.

But for the rear of a 26" I think a disk just doesn't look right, but they look ace on the front.

Dual disk mod is cool but not really my thing, hearing my bike creak and flex everytime I land is a bit scary, makes me realise how shit my bike is :P

Everyone has gone saints, but I have stuck to my good old tech trials. I have had one or two problems with them but that was about it. And even when they did fault I sent them back to Hope and they fixed them extremely quick.

I'm still not sure why mod riders still have magura? the only reason I understand is weight and bending the disc, other than that they are perfect, I barely need to set them up.

I can't see dual disc taking off for stocks, easpecially for comps. The spoke flex just doesn't make the bike as accurate on the rear wheel, plus most comp riders couldn't cope with the extra weight.

For mods dual disc is amazing, I would definitely be using it if I rode one.

Street 24" is also pretty good, I have 180mm saints and I'm pretty happy with them, sometimes there is a little slip, 200mm rotors could help that, but I'd rather have smaller rotors that are harder to bend. Not too sure if TGS or even comp riders would be overly keen on them as they still don't feel quite as direct as a rim brake.

• Like 3

I can't see dual disc taking off for stocks, easpecially for comps. The spoke flex just doesn't make the bike as accurate on the rear wheel, plus most comp riders couldn't cope with the extra weight.

For mods dual disc is amazing, I would definitely be using it if I rode one.

Street 24" is also pretty good, I have 180mm saints and I'm pretty happy with them, sometimes there is a little slip, 200mm rotors could help that, but I'd rather have smaller rotors that are harder to bend. Not too sure if TGS or even comp riders would be overly keen on them as they still don't feel quite as direct as a rim brake.

And there we have it people.