How Long Before Everyones Dual Disc?

customrider-Rhys

Alright everyone, just wondered how long we all reckon it will be before everyones running dual disc due to either it being better or simply manufactures stopping with maggie mounts? koxx have already started doing disc only, how long before everyone else does?! will it be better or are they just going to be a pain! atleast people (genral idiots) will stop with the 'you need some oil on that' business.

never, I don't like dual disk very much, it just sort of, doesn't comply with my mind well.

Front disk is great but I personally prefer a rim brake.

rim on the back is always going to happen I think, if not everyone will get marino's with 4bolt mounts.

i personally have a rim brake on the back even with the fact i have a disc tab on it i would choose maggie to, just wondering what the companys will decide, could we gain more hold?

The manufacturers wont force riders to go dual disk, or they'd loose out. We'd all end up buying marino's with 4 bolts, and they'd force all their custom away from theirselves and towards marino

• Like 1

Maggies are lighter, better bite +hold, slim chance of hitting them.

Seems to me they are better in everyway.

Discs are less likely to get covered in water/crap when riding natty and you would be able to run thinner/lighter rims with discs and rim grinding would become unnecessary.

• Like 1

Discs are less likely to get covered in water/crap when riding natty and you would be able to run thinner/lighter rims with discs and rim grinding would become unnecessary.

what's the point in running lighter rims when you've got a fat old piece of steel on the side of your wheel?

And no one has a problem with grinding rims, if you do just run them smooth. mmm, smooth rims.

what's the point in running lighter rims when you've got a fat old piece of steel on the side of your wheel?

And no one has a problem with grinding rims, if you do just run them smooth. mmm, smooth rims.

"Fat old piece of steel"? You're talking about 150g bolts included for a large disc, aka <1shit. Also it's no secret that those who grind their rims every month or so inevitably reduce the life of the rim.

I'd just like to say here and this is no insult to you but any how:

Before I bought my first double disk bike I was told things like " they are more reliable than magura's" and that they " worked better in the wet and for natural/comp riding".

I have concluded that isn't quite true. As they contaminate so easily (depends on pad) that I couldn't ride in the wet because oil off the roads and pavements would get all over the brake. And I even had it a few times riding natural where there was water. My own opinion but I do not like rear disk.

Also it's no secret that those who grind their rims every month or so inevitably reduce the life of the rim.

I've had an Echo rim for over 14 months , I am a pretty rough rider who runs relatively low psi. The rim has been grinded 25+ times. Any decent rim will be bashed to death long before it is worn out from grinding

Wouldn't trust one 'til something like this comes out.

074.jpg

Only bad thing about that is, large percentage of the reason people run dd is so if the wheel buckles, the disc is fine, but if you had maggies on and you buckle your wheel, you could well be screwed, say in the midle of a comp, so that ^^ kind of defeats the point of the object, well a section of it at least. Do like the luck of it though.

Dual disc or brakeless and nothing in between. I have no time for Maguras what so ever. I don't want an old shitty trekking brake on my bike with some big fugly plastic lever - or in an attempt to use something that's more suited to my sport have to try and find an 8 year old piece of equipment as everything since has been sub-standard.

As far as i'm concerned dual disc is better in every way and I have only benefitted from moving to it, and lost a lot of drawbacks.

My concern is how long before everyone goes 116mm rear spacing :/

It's a bit like all rear stock rims are now 32h rather than 36h as i am still on 36h and managed to get some spares to keep me pro2 going!

I doubt they will all go 116mm rear spacing. My Breath frame is and you get noticable wheel flex, you can hear the spokes pinging as you pedal hard.36H is just unnecessary, it doesn't really any massive strength gains when compared to a 32H rim. Especially since rims are now so much stronger. You could just find a 32H shell for your Pro2 and open up your options WRT rims?

I have always gone by 32h front for lightness and 36h rear for strength.

Maybe 5-6 years ago that was the idea, but you very rarely see 36H stuff run in any MTB discipline, apart from maybe DJ stuff.Really isn't needed in normal trials, maybe street, but not TGS or compy stuff.What rear rim are you using out of curiosity?

The 116mm thing seemed to be done by Koxx primarily to save money. It seems most other companies are fine with 135mm though, so hopefully it'll stay that way. There's always the risk that people will just do the usual knee-jerk "Koxx copying" thing, but hopefully they won't - it'd be pretty weak to have a standard like that change just because people wanted to copy a company that are trying to pinch some pennies.