Crazy Brake Idea!?

customrider-Rhys

Right basically i was thinking the other day about weather it would be possible to run both a disc brake and a maggie of the same lever on the rear, would be an awesome idea getting the best of both world, surely you would get minamal slip!

then i thought that the echo discs use mineral oil aswell so would it be possible to use an echo lever run a feed pipe to a splitter then one pipe of to a maggie that has a joined crossover pipe (standard way) and the other pipe from the splitter down to the disc caliper? could it work or is it just the most ridiclous stupid idea ever?!

if it could think how good it could be, the bite and hold of a maggie mixed with the hold of a disc, if one started slipping the other would be trying to prevent it allowing the other to bite again

it will work, But there will also be a LOT of travel in the lever before anything happens.

I agree. Pressure will be the same in all the hydraulic system so power in both cylinder / caliper will be the same as if they were alone, but you will get a spongier lever with a long travel.

Slave pistons (2 of magura and 2 of disc caliper) need to be in contact with rim/disc to brake : more travel for the slave piston = more travel for the master piston (at the lever) = more travel for the lever.

A bigger piston at the lever would be ok for a good lever's travel, but you will have less power ...

Maybe disc pads would touch the disc before hs33 pads touch the rim, but it doesn't matter, when you brake you just pull the lever to the bite contact (and so all pads touch rim/disc at this point)

But this is only theory.

You could get them too both engage at the same time but you would have to change one of the internal diameter tubing for this

We have lots of engineers on here if you know the leverage ratio and piston sizes in comparison to each other im sure some one can work out the sizes

A problem I can see is the tpa as it would not work the same for each brake

I don't know off any frames that have both maggi and disc mounts, so unless you got one made or welded on then not gunna happen for rear. you could try with front though as the others have said I doubt it would work very well at all, cant beat a good brake that's set up correctly. Even if two was as good, they would be heavier and more expensive plus more to set up/go wrong.

Edited by rocky111

as maxx said,both pairs of pistons had to be contacting the braking surface(at the same time),before any!!! braking force is gonna be there.

in a system wich lives from hydraulic pressure,think that over.where would that rising pressure come from,when either maggie OR disc pads touch ground?

you´d have a brake that shifts the first pair of pistons out,they touch the braking surface,then the hydr.pressure would first shift the second pair out,THEN brake force would be applied on both pairs with rising hand force.

nope,doesnt work with a normal brake lever,but:

check this out:

http://go.mtb-news.de/redir/clickGate.php?u=RN1hJwP9&m=1&p=2YPGEU221K&t=z245JY2e&st=&s=&splash=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinkbike.com%2Fnews%2FReality-Redesigned-The-GAUNTLET-Ep1-HM-12.html&r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtb-news.de%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D519145%26page%3D7

as maxx said,both pairs of pistons had to be contacting the braking surface(at the same time),before any!!! braking force is gonna be there.

in a system wich lives from hydraulic pressure,think that over.where would that rising pressure come from,when either maggie OR disc pads touch ground?

you´d have a brake that shifts the first pair of pistons out,they touch the braking surface,then the hydr.pressure would first shift the second pair out,THEN brake force would be applied on both pairs with rising hand force.

nope,doesnt work with a normal brake lever,but:

check this out:

http://go.mtb-news.d...t=519145&page=7

so that little invention there could be whats needed to make this work then?

yeah,it applies pressure to the first pair of pistons until a defined(dont know if its adjustable?)amount is achieved,then opens a second port wich brings pressure to the second pair of pistons,while keeping the pressure at the first pair.

thats the idea, i didnt try it though,dunno if it actually works