The Happy Thread

Duncy H

Amazing Go-Karting session with the company I used to work for, looks like they'll be taking me back after uni. Just need to sign a contract that I believe has already been printed. :)

Does that mean you're gonna stop being such a miserable b*****d?

• Like 1

Pay has increased a little at work, which makes my nice earnings (for my situation/age etc...) even better.

New parts are slowly accumulating to put together a nice shiny reliable steed to hop up objects on at radfest....

• Like 1

Overall I'm glad I went to uni, I just did the wrong course (I really wanted to do engineering but I'm doing web design as I thought I'd make more money from it). Any uni course you do will teach you stuff you'll never use again and cost £30k+, but that's only a small part of the uni lifestyle.

Best advice I can give is go live in halls, don't take first year too seriously (just aim to pass it because all it does is get you onto the second year), and take savings with you. The best choice I made was saving up £3k before I moved out, so in my first year in halls I had bare pennies to do stuff with. You'll never have another year like first year so get stuck in!

I'm at Hallam, sucks for web related stuff but I know loads of people who did Engineering related stuff who say it's OK. Not amazing though, and Dan Cox from on here hated it that much that he left and started a similar course at a different uni the following year.

No halls are better or worse to be honest. I went for the cheapest ones within the city center (Phoenix Court). They were pretty unpopular with most people in the building as the flats don't have any communal areas, but we saved over £1k a year over most other halls in the area, so we just went to the pub more. It really is a building for "party animals" though. I didn't get to sleep before about 3am all year because there was that much noise from parties and the street outside until then. Depends what you're after though, I loved all that side of it.

Basically if you want the loud/party atmosphere all the time, then go for the cheap halls, otherwise I'd go for some nicer ones, like the Pinnacles, Victoria Halls, Charlotte Court etc. I've been to flat parties in them plenty of times and they seemed like much quieter buildings.

I'd avoid the smaller buildings though with fewer than 100 beds, they always seem a bit run down to me... My girlfriend was in Lancer House and Pearl House, and they were both utter shitholes and had some very wierd people living there.

Personally I'd choose Phoenix Court again, but most people I know from there wouldn't if that helps.

Yep! This is essentially perfect for me to answer!

I went to Hallam and did their foundation year there as I didn't do anything physiccy or maths related at A-level. In terms of the teaching, it was pretty decent when I compare it to my lecturers at Huddersfield now. But obviously not amazing.

I left early though due to my halls. I lived in the catering side of things, in Victoria halls at the other end of the Uni which was disastrous. The floor consisted of 16 guys on one floor which got a bit gash. I love female intervention and it just wasn't what I expected, the few girls on the below floor were just awful people haha. And i'd say there isn't a girl i've not gotten on with before.

Your living conditions make SUCH a difference to how well you cope with Uni life imo. My halls were falling apart, stunk, low light. It was literally like a social experiment ha. And music was always played until early morning.

I'd deffo pay that bit more extra and get some nice halls where theres 4 people per flat and have a shared living area (something we didn't have, so people tended just to reside in their bedrooms = unsociable, people developing close knit friend groups and excluding others)

Live closer to the Uni too, that makes such a big difference. Your love for a 4 min walk to uni will be greatly accentuated compared to a 35 min walk.

Sheff is a fun night out though haha :)

Edited by dann2707

Yeah we heard it was going to be demolished but thought it was just hearsay.

From the state of the place when I came, I don't think they'd need to try too hard. You guys only needed a few more weeks to finish demolish Redder's room!

Andd to the guy wanting to Mech Eng, there is a lot of boring, pretty shitty work to be honest. But the only thing you can't do, like I have, is stop working. Then it becomes to much of a ballache to get started again.