Pashley 26MHZ Budget Build

CurtisRider

Premium Lites with a spider and Mission steel bash, about 5 or 6 years old now I think! I ran them on my GHZ and they were great. Can't shorten the chain anymore as thats as far up as the tensioner allows me, unless It can be tweaked a bit inside.... I remember once making one so it tensioned upwards which allowed for a short chain, so I may play about!

Any recomendation on a stem/bar to raise the front up then, preferably on the lower budget end of the spectrum? Currently on an 80x17 stem and 38mm rise bars

Edited by CurtisRider

I'll bring this trusty graphic out again...

stemfit.jpg

Buy new bars to bring them up by about 20mm would be the same as swapping the stem for 90x25 and sticking a spacer underneath. I reckon that'd be the cheaper option, especially if you happen to like the feel of those bars...

Edited by JD™

dont want to be a dick.. but am i the only one that doesn't like that bike? i mean its good for a budget bike but.. meh.

in my opinion it needs straight streety forks

big street tyres, like holy rollers

disc brakes

nicer bars and stem.

... and a splash of colour. looks boring as hell.

and before anyone jumps on my arse thats my opinion.

out of interest.. how much has it cost in total?

Edited by Carlperkins

Yeah I'm really happy how it came out considering my budget! I think I will try some higher rise bars, i'm only running the FSAs as they were sitting about spare! I ran the same geo stem and bars on my GHZ and it felt absolutely spot on but I guess that was a longer frame

No worries on the v pins Laurence, i'll bodge in some bits of spoke

Carl, thats totally fine, entitled to an opinion :) It's a bit dull perhaps, but bright garish colours look far worse and I don't want something that stands out loads, especially living in Nottingham. Part choices are not ideal but that's because it's been built on a budget and some bits have been harvested off other bikes/kindly donated by folk on here. Straight forks look really odd on Pashleys, I feel the proper forks look just right and have the old skool appeal. Disc brakes aren't really necessary especially on a build like this, I have always liked V brakes and they save a little podge over discs!

Cost has been just over £50, hence why the bike is not as beautifully specced as others on here.

EDIT:

Will bars like these Octane One Chemicals be any good?

Edited by CurtisRider

for the bars,if you dont argue about shipping from germany beeing a bit higher in charge check this out:

http://www.hibike.de/shop/product/pcf32030c6f99da9023f80b4ff3f8a81c/Blk-Mrkt-Bada-Boom-Lenker-width.html

normally cost 60 euros,and are street suitable .

would come out at about 30 euro shipped to your door

(got some white ones laying around in 3" waiting for the new frame,look pretty good so far.)

Edited by FamilyBiker

Hey Paul, Looks great man.. nice to see it built up! Though i do agree that a little splash of your chosen colour and that bike will suddenly come to life!

Looks very clean and tidy.. Just get a few graphics going! :D

Regarding the bar/stem discussion. I have found that a slightly longer and lower rise stem, with a higher rise bar with backsweep is a very comfortable set up and is also quite nice to look at from above (sounds weird but it always bothers me if it doesnt look right!)

Because of the nature of backsweep i recomend adding 10-20mm onto your 'usual' stem length and this results in a very nice balance where you still have the 'cockpit' room to manuvre in static elements of riding but also have the nice lofty feel of a big riser bar when pulling it up and about in taps and hops etc.

What i think would be a nice set-up on this would be something like a 100/110mm x 5/10' with a classic riser bar that has up and back sweep.

Ive got a nice set of these you are welcome to have.. They're basically new and they are the chrome ones so should suit your bike nicely! Very tough and comfortable bar :)

If you like we can do a part trade with those forks when i see you? 25.4 but you need a longer stem anyway :rolleyes: I actually think that first stem you had on looked about right!

Seriously.. its all about making up for the height with a big lofty riser.. pulls up easier, keeps the centre of force lower and so more direct to the headtube, gives you more flex in the bar for taking impact and most importantly.. looks loads better! Especially on the pashley :D

Im back in Notts Friday so i'll get in touch about meeting up soon!

Nice bike..

Peace :ninja:

Im 6'5 though but that shouldnt really matter..

I think you'll find it does matter! lol. Same problem Ben Rowlands has getting his front end sorted, that kind of height makes a huge difference. It's like someone of 5ft 6" getting on my bike.

For anyone of average height I don't think you should go longer than 90mm on a 26MHZ, the top tubes aren't that short, that big 110mm stem is just compensating for your extra long arms, where it's just leaning further forward to reach the bars for the rest of us.

Look up what Matt & Ed tongue used to use.

Edited by LEON

post-1701-0-10691500-1361979628_thumb.jp

You'll get the best out of that frame by having something like that. Short & low ish stem, risers around 2-2.5".

At the end of the day, it's an old school -10 bb street trials frame, not a +20 bb Inspired Hex. Plus if you start sticking 25 degree stems on it it'll look effing stupid, your low bb doesn't require a high front end. It'll put your weight in the wrong place & ride like crap.

Edited by LEON

I think you'll find it does matter!

I meant in relation to this bike and todays 'standard' Where by i see people who are 5'9 riding HUUUGE bikes... even this relatively 'Big' set up ive got on my Pashley should feel pretty sweet to most. I'd imagine?!

Anyway, i totally agree.. Low b.b = low/mid f.e. High f.e and low b.b feels awful! And i feel with the relatively long r.e the Pashley suits a pretty lengthy stem.. but that may just be me and my ape arms ^_^

I say 100mm minimum. Even if only for the aesthetics :shades:

BUT....the huge bikes of today are just used as pogo sticks and the streety ones are shorter than the Pashley, I'm assuming he's gonna be doing a bit of everything on this bike & not just sidehops.

A mate of mine back in the day used a 70mm stem on his & it felt fine, he's 5ft 10" ish & I'm 6ft. It's got a pretty long top tube and steep head angle so short stems are fine.

With a 100mm+ it's not gonna wanna bunnyhop or manual very well, and even set up with a big stem it's not like the bike's ever gonne be an efficient pogo stick, so spin & flick it like it was built to do :)

Edited by LEON

Sharn, those bars would be great! Let me know when you are back!

I'm 6ft2, not sure if that really counts as tall these days though? I will give some taller bars a shot and see how it feels for me, these ones certainly feel too low and I really like a high setup

Took out a link of the chain tonight, it was a little bit too loose for my liking without a tensioner so I removed the spring from my tensioner and added a washer so that it would work as a fixed tensioner. I think it looks a ton neater now :)

P2284568_zps070a7389.jpg

Hopefully I will have time to ride tomorrow and see how it feels, this week I have been ill/planning lessons and havent had a chance to even think about biking.

• Like 2

So I had a ride today and it just felt so awful with the low front end as expected. A quick parts rumble and some swapping of bars from my girlfriends bike sorted me with a 2cm higher setup (Kore freeride bars and a cnc 80mm stem with a bit more rise). Quick ride in the living room revealed that it felt like a totally different machine! Far better feeling, and the bars are more comfy. I Still feel like I need more room so I have a 100mm stem to try out and see what that feels like. XT calipers make the brake squeal like hell, annoyingly the SD7s I bought don't have the pins in them for tensioning and my bodge repairs failed so i'm stuck being a noisy bugger for a while. Rear brake does work well though and swapping over to the fred salmon booster has made it nice and solid.

P3014574_zps31c8d6c3.jpg

Oooh yesh! :nerd: Thats looking lovely.

Though i do agree.. You need these chemical risers! (ANd a 100mm stem :sweatingbullets:) I have brought them back to Nottingham with me and am now firmly in the shire for at least the next two weeks!

Where abouts in Notts? I'm in Long eaton. We could meet up for a little ride somewhere and trade metals? :pirate:

Those bar ends set it right off..

:dance:

• 2 months later...

Pashley has seen a few upgrades, on a budget of course ;)

Swapped some forks with Sharn for some Octane Chemical bars with 2.5" rise

Got a Thompson stem for £10 off ebay, bit of a luxury (and blooming hefty!) but I like the look of them

Got an XT V brake free off a guy as there were v bosses seized into them (soon sorted that!)

Got some wellgo MG1s free with an XC frame I bought

Had an old Mavix XC rim kicking around and built it onto some spare spokes with an 'Axis' hub that I got for £4 off ebay

Superstar size zero grips £12...feel a little guilty about buying these and i'm not sure I like them yet....

Sprayed the Fred Salmon booster black as the red looked a bit nasty. Bikes lost some heft and rides really nicely, very happy with it!

I'm going to make a half bash ring for my Truvativ Stylo/Shimano Deore cranks and run those instead of the 3 pieces to save some weight, bike should be pretty much spot on for me then!

P5150045_zpsef3f573e.jpg

P5150040_zpsf7b7f375.jpg

• Like 1