Pashley 26MHZ Budget Build

CurtisRider

Since getting back into mountainbiking again after my back operation, I have been gradually wanting to have a play bike again but lack of funds wasn't allowing it. One day I popped onto TF and saw a thread for a free Pashley frame and forks that needed some love, a few PMs later and it was mine :)

Now this will never be a super slick awesome build due to minimal funds, just a simple reliable street bike that is built from cheap but reliable parts. I am fortunate to have a few parts leftover from my old GHZ (from a few years back) as well as parts removed from both mine and my girlfriends mountainbikes as they have been upgraded, giving me plenty of parts to get started with.

So this is the frame and the parts I have so far:

P2054419_zps7e26958d.jpg

Whacked togther with what I have kicking about here at uni:

P2054425_zpsba04a84c.jpg

Plan is to strip the frame and forks back, repair the frames broken V boss, replace the vertical dropouts with horizontal and give them a nice fresh coat of paint (either black, silver, maroon or red as thats all I have in the shed)

Components I have so far (keeping an eye on weight, I find it interesting):

Pashley 26 MHZ 2041g (£10 for courier)

Pashley forks 994g (came with frame)

Xt rear brake 221g (came with some forks I bought for my girlfriends bike)

Btwin QR skewers 124g (came off my MTB)

Tektro front brake 200g (came off girlfriends bike)

Specialized front wheel 1041g (came off girlfriends bike)

Hope Bulb ti rear 372g (£10)

FSA Maximum bars 350g (came free with a frame I bought ages ago)

Fly Reuben grips 128g (spares from my last MTB)

Proper linear slick cable 78g (£5 in CRC sale)

FSA Orbit Extreme headset 117g (came with frame)

2xstandard tubes 440g (from last MTB)

Parts I have at home (Getting them mid Feb):

Panaracer Fire XC 2.1

Schwalbe Big Betty 2.5

Premium lite 3 piece cranks with 5 arm spider and bash

Wellgo B38 flat pedals

Spanish fly pads

Heatsink pads

Superstar singlespeed kit

Pauls V booster

Sun Big Mammoth Fat rim

Parts in the post:

XTR levers (£15)

Eclat padded seat/post combo (£10)

FSA 120mm stem (free from Mark)

Need to get:

KMC Kool chain

Spokes for rear wheel build

Cost so far is £50, I am hoping to keep it under £100 in total. Thread will be work in progress.

A MASSIVE thanks to Mark (eMAyaRKay) for his generosity and getting the frameset wrapped up, what an awesome fella!

Edited by CurtisRider
  • Like 1

Sticking with V brakes as I dislike Maguras rather alot and I already have Vs. I wondered about mounting them under the stays like I did on the 24 frame I made, as well as reverse mounts on the forks, although that will prevent me from doing any footjams if I wanted to do them again...

How can somebody not like Vs? ;) I have had plenty of Maguras in my time, and always gone back to V brakes and wondered why I ever changed! Personal preference and all that

I whacked some spare Stylos and my MTB wheels onto the Pashley , the idea of dual disc is quite tempting now.... :$

eb078d9d-4514-4e6f-a9b6-143f5a3f73af_zps

• Like 2

Some parts arrived today :)

Eclat seat, XTR levers, Bendy noodles from HK, FSA stem (might be a touch too long but at least I can play around) and a new KMC Kool

P2114467_zps8b5b38e1.jpg

Fitted up along with some other bits. Not sure I like the seat, may look better when the frame is sprayed and there is a bigger rear tyre on there.

P2114469_zps1f88e6d5.jpg

Got a front wheel and chainring in the post (thanks to Isitafox and Banashapan!) and some spokes ready for me to build the proper rear wheel. Three piece cranks, SS kit and some proper tyres are waiting for me at home, I am hoping to get on the lathe and make a 1 piece bash instead of bash+spider setup that I have right now. It's nearly there now though!

Yeah I know its a little bit long! I'm hoping that I still have some old stems at home, they will be pretty tatty but will do the job. Something around 90mm should be just right going by my last Pashleys. I have a DCD at home but seeing as its having horizontal dropouts fitted, it shant be needed :) I hated my old El Gatos, not going to waste money on them!

FINE, HERE'S A SHORT STEM...

P2114470_zpse7647235.jpg

Nah tyes on there are some Kona Enter (from my old 98 Hahanna) and a Maxxis High roller right now. Got a redwall Panaracer Fire XC and a Schwalbe Big Betty sitting at home, and a few others that I can't quite remember. Annoyingly I don't have my Schwalbe Big Apple anymore, would have been perfect on the front

Edited by CurtisRider

Aaaaaaahwjoooi! Yeah man, loving this! Im currently building one up too, In the classic blue.

Looks like a nice set-up. Iv'e found that 120x5, slammed with big risers is actually a pretty sweet spot. I'm tempted to try 130x5. But i am 6ft5.. so it may be a tad too much for others.

Running 7 speed with DCD too :cheers: Gona get a 6 speed hub and make a 'manual' gear arrangement with wide cogs. Can't stand pedaling to spots in 22-17 these days!

One of the best looking trials frame ever made.

Good luck with it bro. Interested in what you were sayin about putting horzontals on there.. Keep it posted!

And i do agree.. needs a slightly longer seat and a decent rear booster. Gotta be the flexiest seatstays around?! Tentpoles!

Ride on.

Edited by sharn

i used to run an xtr vee with homemade carbon booster on mine felt better than maggy but that was years ago before you had the array of choice of boosters now.

sweet to see some people still using these legendary frames, just be carefully not to fall or drop them sideways on the downtubes as bats how i killed mine.