How often does your bike break?

jigga

3 years has seen -

-Snapped Python, cracked Czar 06, cracked Ice 2, cracked Ozonys V1, snapped GU ST, cracked Lite 09 + 07, cracked Echo 24".

-Snapped Try-All forxx, cracked Try-All forks x2.

This past years seen -

-Snapped axles, 4 sets of bent Echo Urban forks, one set of bent Neon forks, a cracked set of Neon forks, cracked/split viz rear 24 rim.

I swear you are the only person I know who has bent so many sets of forks. Mikey douglas does loads of upto fronts and he's never bent a set

Up to fronts are pretty kind to forks relatively though I guess, it's botched hooks that destroy them.

As for how often my bike breaks, I found a crack in my 4 year old cranks about a month ago, and I've had a couple of punctures in the last few years, and changed a set of grips, but that's it. As Ali says (and I've said before), selecting the right parts for your riding really helps.

• Like 1

Recently I've:

- snapped a pair of try all forks

- cracked try all bars

- buggered the internals of an echo ti ffw

- gone through 2 headsets

- snapped heatsink yellow

- snapped rear hub axle

- snapped 2 stan bolts

- snapped chain

- snapped try all pedal body

- snapped echo sl crank

Moral of the story... never build a light bike and expect it to be complete.

How did you snap a pad?

I haven't really 'Broken' anything in a while really, aside from chains and getting a few punctures.

Most of the things I've had to change over the last 18-24 months have just been through age and wear n tear.

2012-2013

1 set of trialtech forks which I changed after 18 months due to cracks appearing ( could have gotten away with using them for a bit longer)

1 Genesis frame cracked after 12 months

1 Hub, which i stripped due to using a rear sprocket that wasn't really up to trials

1 crank, again which I stripped, after I was rushing building my bike when i was in sweden, I was standing on the pedal as i tightened it up after a quick ride around (Doh!)

2 rear axles. From a new brand, first batch they made,bit of a dodgy batch again

worn some grips out

worn my front hub bearings out

The advantage of using suitable parts :)

Exactly. Someone said early 'everything breaks with time' but that doesn't have to be the case. I haven't broken a bike part in probably 5+ years. I wear things out and get bored so buy new stuff for the hell of it but things rarely break.

Edit: Actually, I broke an ISIS BB axle at a demo probably 4 years ago. That's the last thing I can remember breaking.

I swear you are the only person I know who has bent so many sets of forks. Mikey douglas does loads of upto fronts and he's never bent a set

First set of Neons were my own fault, which is why I chose not to persue a warranty claim and bought new ones myself. These however have only been ridden a handful of times. Fitted Thursday eve before Radfest that weekend, then did my ankle in on the last day. Ridden only a little since then. (less than an hour since radfest).

Crack developed at Radfest because I pointed it out to Adam@tarty and we agreed it was weird for them to go in such a short timescale.

I snapped a rear axle on my genesis, got another one specially made and snapped that within an hour, so got yet another drilled out of titanium. Other than that, a couple of snapped chains, mashed up hub bearings, snapped all but one pawl in a tensile 60 freewheel and had a few punctures.

Edited by onzatpro09

What is wrong with you?! Are you running your wheel squint in the frame or something?

No, it is definitely true, the standard and 1st one I had made (aluminium) snapped while hopping up nothing higher than a curb and the second one I had made (titanium) bent while I was doing nothing more than gentle riding. I don't know whether to buy a bunch more axles and just replace broken ones endlessly or a new hub and risk snapping the axles on that. All I want is a functioning bike for tartydays because I missed radfest due to bike trouble.