Rear Rim Brake Recommendations

Culshaw95

Hi im getting a bit fed up with brakes breaking on me now as i've run 05 maguras which lasted over a year but then cracked at the body, HS11 which I let a friend borrow and he broke it and now my lever blade on my 2014 snapped... I know there isn't really a lot to choose from but I dont really know what to do

post-29200-0-90415300-1391788538_thumb.j

Edited by Culshaw95

Try the echo one.

Mine leaked a bit and the adjuster screw thing always came loose but it never broke or leaked for the year I used it. I changed to the 2011 HS11 but only because I felt the echo brake was kinda slow.

The echo is all metal and I think the lever is made from aluminium so it only bends and its easy to bend it back if you crash.

Try the echo one.

Mine leaked a bit and the adjuster screw thing always came loose but it never broke or leaked for the year I used it. I changed to the 2011 HS11 but only because I felt the echo brake was kinda slow.

The echo is all metal and I think the lever is made from aluminium so it only bends and its easy to bend it back if you crash.

I'll have to wait and see if my brake is still under warranty of which I'm hoping it is but i have thought about them in the past. I chosen the new 33 because i had a go on someones bike up at tartydays and they felt really nice but i'm shocked this happened to mine as all i done was a side hop and it snapped as i landed...

if you snap it by pulling the lever too hard, then ease off a bit i guess, or if its from crashes then don't over tighten the clamp to the bars, then it'll have a bit of movement, dunno what else i can say really :)

I don't think i pull the lever too hard... unless i dont realise i am haha but I dont remember crashing with this brake

well im not too sure, less impact/stress on the lever when you land id say, if that makes any sense? i brought a 2014 maggie on the day of its release and ive had no problems with it but i doubts its a fault, might just be how you land or what angle your lever is at, to be honest im not sure...

Edited by JJ Leigh

maybe a racingline or tocco lever? they have made of metal, so they should not really snap...

Had a racingline aswell haha but i think there was an off batch of the lever bodies as it leaked on me but then that was before they released the whole leavers. I was quite impressed with the Tocco when I had a go on a bike at tartydays when they were showing them off

Echo TR's and SL's are really strong. I once got the SL lever blade caught between some rails as I fell off the bike and the lever blade bent ever so slightly while supporting my whole body weight. I was expecting to find the handlebars bent or broken and didn't even consider finding the lever still in one piece. Good stuff.

I thoroughly rate the echo brakes too.

On the rear I have the original dengura full lever (basically a hench SL for you newbies) with maggie slaves, it has been perfect, no leaks, no cracks, solid lever, can be bled with water on maggie slaves, so is quick too. Also, well over 5 years old!

Same thing on the front with the new tr lever and maggie slaves. adjuster winds off an irritating amount, but a dab of loctite does the trick.

on the 24" i have a tr front disc and a tr full rear rim brake. the slaves on the rim brake have been a pain in the arse, but I now have some maggie slaves to swap on. and the disc brake has also been a bit of a pain, but changed the pads and the rotor for hope bits and it is great now!

if you really dont like the echo stuff, the racing line lever looks best IMO

also, for everyone saying metal is better. Its not the fact is is made of metal, it is because magura cast their 05 lever bodies so they are very porous, making them snap happy. whereas the RL levers are CNCed from billet aluminium, a much better manufacturing technique, but more expensive and unlikely to create fractures during general usage. The plastic levers on the new maguras is a good idea, and had they done it right, could have been very good, but once again magura f**k it up... don't knock the plastic until you know exactly what they have been using, and how it is made before you compare to a CNCed alu lever body.

Cheers, Ash

• Like 1

On the rear I have the original dengura full lever (basically a hench SL for you newbies) with maggie slaves, it has been perfect, no leaks, no cracks, solid lever, can be bled with water on maggie slaves, so is quick too. Also, well over 5 years old!

Same thing on the front with the new tr lever and maggie slaves. adjuster winds off an irritating amount, but a dab of loctite does the trick.

on the 24" i have a tr front disc and a tr full rear rim brake. the slaves on the rim brake have been a pain in the arse, but I now have some maggie slaves to swap on. and the disc brake has also been a bit of a pain, but changed the pads and the rotor for hope bits and it is great now!

also, for everyone saying metal is better. Its not the fact is is made of metal, it is because magura cast their 05 lever bodies so they are very porous, making them snap happy. whereas the RL levers are CNCed from billet aluminium, a much better manufacturing technique, but more expensive and unlikely to create fractures during general usage. The plastic levers on the new maguras is a good idea, and had they done it right, could have been very good, but once again magura f**k it up... don't knock the plastic until you know exactly what they have been using, and how it is made before you compare to a CNCed alu lever body.

Cheers, Ash

Magura need to start listening to the people who buy hs33's the most ie us, and take down our ideas. It's the classic big company doing what it wants thing, and not listening to its customer base. If they did, and made the new lever out of ally instead of plastic, then racing line levers probably wouldn't exist. But it's not cost effective for them to do that, hence the plastic. And that's why firms like tensile and racing line exist now. I've tried all the levers apart from a tocco, and the best combination for me is a racing line piston in an 04 lever body, with an 04 cnc lever and tpa. I'm not a fan of 4 finger levers, think it makes a brake feel spongy.

Magura need to start listening to the people who buy hs33's the most ie us, and take down our ideas.

As I agree with the rest of the sentence, I reckon we are a small part of their consumers. I have seen maggies on loads of XC/trekking bikes, as they appeal for them as a better alternative then V brakes, but not a disc brake with all its hassles.

Anyway, I have a `14 hs33 as well, and it seems quite solid, although I am a beginner so there is not a big usage on it

What Ash said, old SL levers own.

Cheers, Ash

Echo TR's and SL's are really strong. I once got the SL lever blade caught between some rails as I fell off the bike and the lever blade bent ever so slightly while supporting my whole body weight. I was expecting to find the handlebars bent or broken and didn't even consider finding the lever still in one piece. Good stuff.

+1 for the CNC'd echo sl lever. (deng)

also if your not a fan of the actual echo sl lever, just the body you are able to run magie 05 levers on it

I know i've just snapped my 2finger blade but there's not really much wrong with the design of the new 2014's. If the blade was stronger and if it had a metal bleed screw then I reckon it would have been a really good brake. I've not seen any issues with the body just the blades.