Ozonys trip to London

janjan

I very much agree with Marks comments.

I also want to add, and while it may be down to jealousy more than anything, many of the things in this video are copied from how you know who rides. its become a staple of a 'top' street rider to be able to do a footjam whip drop for example. I more than anyone appreciate a FJW drop, it is an impressive move, no-one can deny that, however when done off everything a rider can find it ruins the style of a rider and puts you in the category of being a one trick pony (if you ask me).

Variety is the spice of life and we (as trials riders) seem to find it very difficult to add the variety we could. It is one of the reasons we have factions in trials (the TGS vs. BMX debate), and we get stuck in a rut with the newest fad that comes along (before any one says - I know I am just as bad as any, I used to be a TGS'er, now i have an inspired arcade, stubble and ride round aberdeen pretending to be in the clan)

Inspiration should come from all parts of cycling, the same reason guys on DH bikes are doing flips, whips, 360's over canyons, or dirt riders are building quarters in their jumps, or north shore riders are using trialsy skills (slow speed balance etc) to incorporate into their runs. Unfortunately many trials riders have the blinkers on, not realising just how much there is out there to be inspired by (name drop intended).

In my opinion the street riders in this video don't incorporate enough trialsy elements, while the opposite can be said of the trialsy riders. Trials can be very impressive to the layman if done right, i.e gapping between rails, hopping up to back wheel on a bollard and taking off up a wall from there, or hooking a massive box etc. If you go on to mix this with streety bmx elements maintaining style and flow then you are onto a winner. Rather than one or the other.

Ali's arcade promo video is one of the best examples, a solid mix of influences across a broad spectrum of cycling and maintains many trialsy elements in there. sidehops, hooks, gaps (no taps though IIRC - shame on you ali).

There are many moves that are specific to trials and these are moves that not many other bike riders can do, this is a skill we need to preserve in 'trials' videos, but one we need to mix in with other elements of cycling to improve the appearance of trials and also move the sport forward.

rant over.

Must admit I was impressed with the boys bump hop barspin in the steps though. I re-wound to make sure thats what he had done and not some crazy euro x-up

Holy cr*p didnt realise I had written for so long there. Apologies for all the reading. Here is a funny picture to make up for it

funny-eyebrows.jpg

• Like 5

Some really nice points, Ben. Not really a rant at all - just some good old observation.

I do feel that people are lumping their opinion of the riding and the opinion of the video together as one. I saw them pull off much more interesting stuff than the video itself shows. I feel they have been poorly represented by the video.

sorry i did mean british riders. i didn't get to attend this event due to family stuff.

when saw the video was kinder hoping to see a bit more of a mix of riders and more of the spots being used in different ways.

i do hope that there was lots of uk riders there showing there stuff and some more videos to show there skills.

I think the 'street being tricks' thing is part of the problem in a way though, in that it seems a lot of people think that street trials riding is just learning a particular set of tricks then just doing them on/off different stuff. Creativity's a much bigger deal (which I'd say leads to flow, too, as you start looking at spots differently and then linking stuff together more), which is what it seems a lot of the French dudes lack. There are a good few trials riders (and shitloads of BMXers) who do comparatively few - if any - tricks but make up for it by riding in a different, more creative way. Not necessarily in a Sean Watson/Tate Roskelley/Tim Knoll way, more like 'Can I Eat' era Steven Hamilton :P

Totally agree. They even lacked some basic trials moves. Definitely think 24" has gone backwards since Tim Pratt, Boon, etc move away from bikes/ trials. Just now it's Inspireds instead of Leesons. Definitely allot more variation back then. Shame most people think they're street as soon as they can do the 360 tap drops and footjam whips. No different to bmx though, "i have 3 pegs, 2" of seatpost, i am street" :giggle:

• Like 1

as far as I am aware "the French Style"

If you watch some French street trials video, then you realise that they do only a few lines, with over editing and bad choice of music

I reckon most of the random videos here (that was made by a guy who left his camera on a bench to film himself on his bike) are better quality and has greater riding... This video does not make me want to own ozonys.

But that stock rider was rad and he had balls... they should film him more

is the "french style" go big, but not clean? ive noticed that throughout a lot of the ozonys vids and the tribulouts n stuff

is the "french style" go big, but not clean? ive noticed that throughout a lot of the ozonys vids and the tribulouts n stuff

they usually do one or two moves and usually has a strange electro music with loads of video effects

There are great French riders, I know, but their style is... strange

• Like 1