Scottish Independence

Little Yoshi

My opinion - I think its best we stay together it has worked out alright so far innit so why wobble a rocky boat when were both pretty f**ked anyway.

People in this world will not lift a finger without charging ass over fist for it so all the wasted time and money it is going to take really isn't worth the bother.

If you do want to split fine but I hope if you chose to sever ties with us then it should be done completely without any terms of recourse - but so long as I can still comee visit your beautiful country then that will be grand

King Salmond or the typical south of Watford gap attitude above MMMMMMMH? Rather stay as we are and most people I talk to up here are thinking the same thing. But who knows. With every politician full of SH*t and once they get in power just want to fill. their own and their friends pockets and with the people in power goverining themselfs!

i was honestly expecting a massive braveheart rant about scottish independence from you there Kev, i don't know why, but i did.

I would give my opinion, although based on what i said above i am sure it is pretty obvious, however neither side has given any real ooomph to their side of the story so Its hard to really know what would be the best option for the country.

Salmonds manifesto seems to sit on the fact the oil industry up in the NE of Scotland is strong and worth a lot of money...an industry that might not be sustainable in the long term. Then what is the industry scotland has to back that up? Suppose there is always Barr drinks co. to work for.

Thankfully if independence does go through, and it could with the amount of 'bravehearts' supporting it, it wont happen till the summer of 2016 so there is plenty of time for them to explain to the people why they havent been let directly into europe, why they aren't joining a currency union, and why free prescriptions are no longer available on NHS scotland.

Don't get me wrong I love it up here in scotchland, i just don't think independence will give any real benefit to the country, and it does seem that Alex Salmond just wants his wikipedia page updated to say 'Gave Scotland independance' then he will leave and disappear into insignificance, and probably move away to barbados to live in a big house or something.

• Like 1

Alex White hand of salmond is it for his own benefit just like maggie thatcher did years ago, really messed us up boot

Small fish big pond springs to mind not enough to self sustain and actually make money to get out of debt, would be nice to be independent but not now got to think a few generations ahead

I think Salmond has got it wrong. I think he believes we could be the the next Norway because Oil and gas = $$$$$$$ . Realistically that is never going to happen.

If Scotland had gone independant in the 70's I have no doubt it would have be a better place live today. Now it's far to late and our standard of living will probably just stay as it is.

It pisses me off that most of his argument hinges on Aberdeen and the oil and gas industry yet his government spend significantly more of the oil and gas revenues on projects and people in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I think it's also likely that people like me who work in the industry and earn a pretty respectable living from it will end up worse off. So Alex Salmond can keep his dream alive for a bit longer.

As you can probably guess I'm part of the if it's a yes I will be on the first flight to somewhere warm campaign.

I can see why Scotland would want to be independent, but the drawbacks with respect to EU, NATO and other global organisations seem to great.

Working in Defence , specifically V boat subs, which are based in Scotland I see a lot discussion and info from that side of things. It seems a lot of the defence aspects Alex Salmond's manifesto is based on assumption that the UK government would hand over a proportion of the defence assets to Scotland; not very likely from what i've read! NATO won't let you in due to his view on nuclear weapons, so you'd lose that as well.

Financially I don't think it would be viable for Scotland to go independant. Certainly not long term, billions are spent in Scotland on defense, that's a huge revenue loss; the indirect losses from other businesses involved would be huge too. The oil and gas reserves are certainly a finite resource and another mass source of income for Scotland. That and the fact that some or the large companies and banks based in Scotland are already in the process of or considering transferring where they're based to London; more money is moving away from north of the border.

It seems a wonderfully idyllic proposal, I just don't see how it would be economically sustainable. This may be a very biased Englishman's view, but it seems Alex Salmond want's to make a name for himself and get into the history books. Seeing the proposed designs for currency with his head on them just made me laugh; ego trip?

Wow some intellectual debate for once. (where Ross to stir it a bit) It all seems to be verging on the lets leave it alone which is what I hope will happen. The unfortunate truth is that King Salmond is targeting the people who he can fill with his patraiotic views and get them to vote yes. (giving 16 year olds the vote. I have a sixteen year old and all he wants todo is ride his bike). In my opinion if it happens then really, nothing will change. It will be a slow death of a great country with some great people in it. He will make a real mess, as mentioned above there is nothing of any substance or structure we have been given and then, as they do either retire to a lecture tour and a book deal or off down south to a nice couple of non executive directorships and sit on some nice quangos. Meanwhile our future generations are left to survive on IRN BREW and Haggis and the dregs of the North sea to heat their council houses, if there are any left. As for a moan we still have our Scottish rugby team.

I'm with Gav on the sun shine bit.

Just wondering, since this is mainly a English based forum, what are the feelings South of the border?

And your views from the Highlands sir?

IRN BREW

If you can't spell Irn Bru you have no place giving advice :P.

My thoughts (Scot living in Engerland with folks still up in NE Scotland) are that the potential risks of going independent far outweigh the possible benefits. As it is Scotland are already able to have a pretty good say on some fairly major elements of their governance and it seems to me that it's just King Salmond wanting more and more power that's driving it with absolutely no real answers to the important questions being raised.

As an adopted Sassenach I also feel that really if Scotland want to vote about splitting up the UK then Wales, NI and England ought to have a say too.

Really! BREW= mixture of IRN BRU and Bucky that is and will be the staple diet of most Scots. I think if we try hard enough we will be able to find the five a day that they tell us is required or we will die. I dont drink the stuff. Farming will be finished as the supermarkets will pull out of Scotland as there will be no demand for fresh produce and king Salmond will demand that it is handed out to the poor people free. (most of us by then).