Gears on an Inspired?

PatJsy

Not sure if this has been discussed on here before but a friend of mine is after a bike which he describes as something for cruising that he can still do a few "things" on. Having failed to convince him it's either one or the other (he rides BMX so in my head it makes sense for him to have a 2nd bike just for commuting) he's considering a 26" Inspired and sticking gears on it...

My initial thoughts were that it's a ridiculous idea, with a 22t on the front even a 12t cog on the back would still be pretty useless for riding around and any higher gears would just be unnecessary. But saying that, I've got no real experience so I thought I'd try and get some advice here.

Has anyone done something like this?

That's how we used to roll in the old days and had no problems!

Funny enough he used to ride trials a good few years ago! Geared trials bikes were before my time I'm afraid :)

What's the set up like then?

Nah, the rules were singlespeed for Mods and 6 working gears for Stock (although I'm sure they were often referred to as MTBs, because that's what they were really).

I was never posh enough for carbon cogs, Ross!

Have mods ever had gears? Guessing no but still curious.

As JD said. That's where the terms 'Mod' and 'Stock' come from. 26" bikes had to have 6 working gears and in the early days were essentially just 'stock' MTB's

Mod stands for modified - as they were the first bikes designed purely for trials, modified for the sport

• Like 2

if he runs a road cassette then a road mech will come with that, a noisy road mech that clangs on the chainstay.

with a mtb cassette he can run a shimano shadow or sram mech which will work much much better for trials n shopping runs

he could still use a 9spd 11-32 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-x7-9-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod41155 this sram x7 i would say worth a shot

Edited by dezmtber