Hifi Thread. Any audiophiles out there?

Davetrials

We must have a few audiophiles about the forum, what kind of set ups are you guys using?

Im running a Cambridge audio SR10 and some old but beautiful mourdant short 914 speakers. i love it. but im looking to upgrade at some point soon and cant decide what speakers to look at? any recommendations?

at the moment I have a £10 2.0 speakers, and they are totally fine, as I live in a large family, so a proper sound system is a no no(not many likes heavy metal and heavy electronic music), so I am using it as a headhpone amp (its decent) for my Skullcandy heaphones

If you see many bad things in this sentence it is not your fault. a O2 Op amp (DAC seems unnecessary) will come as soon as I have money for a proper indoor headphones

I wouldn't say KRK Rokit's are "hi-fi", they're studio monitors really. Fantastic speakers nonetheless.

I'm big into hi-fi but don't really have any, as it's so damn expensive.

On my music production kit I'm using some early 90's Ruark Epilogue II speakers which are really nice sounding. I do like older stuff, like the 80's and 90's silver Technics amps - just something about the style I love.

Bit of a mix, but tried loads of different combos till I got what I like. Pair of Triangle Zeys with Scotia speaker cable, Roksan power amp, Audio Research pre amp with upgraded valve, micromega CD player with Chord interconnects. Systemdeck II with a cyrnx! arm.(dont know what the catridge is) Had this for a good few years and the only thing needing upgraded is the CD player. You only get the real benefit if you can sit and only listen and do nothing else. (not much chance nowadays)

We have a great shop in Edinburgh that deals in higher end second hand kit and lets you take the stuff home to have a listen in your own home. That way I can get stuff I could never afford new. I like most types of music except the obvoius chart crap but mostly rock. The Zeys are big and powerful even at low volume, so it suits my ear. I am lucky to live in the country with no neighbours so it can get cranked up if I am in the mood. Its a scary hobbie to have, I was in a clients home a good few years ago and he had easily over £200K worth of audio gear. Sounded wonderful as he listened to alot of classic music, but didnt do rock music as well. Been to a few audio shows over the years and it is very much a personal taste with some great sounding systems now at a very affordable cost.

Started off the journey with second hand Quad gear which I still have lying in the workshop.

You only get the real benefit if you can sit and only listen and do nothing else. (not much chance nowadays)

The journey of audio is a horrible one for the wallet indeed. Managed to break away somewhat though, primarily due to time constraints as you say.

However i'm potentially in the market for some speakers, that or a 4k tv. Not sure when i'll break, but speakers i seem to be leaning to more.

My gaming setup is only really of good quality, the rest is "mid-fi" if you like.

Xbox- Yamaha 675 w/ silent cinema and a burr brown dac - Beyer dt99 premiums or AKG k702. Threw in an Arcam rpac into the mix from pc- dac- receiver and it has helps with the sound control, but my other dac isn't usb so will be selling that on ebay shortly.

My portables i kinda got carried away and went through allot of stuff but now i have

Ak100 / Cowon J3 - Senn Momentum's, DT1350, Westone UMX3x

However i do recommend the headphone journey, have got to listen to some amazing kit in the past. The electrostatic setups are sheer bliss. And tbf, for a grand you can get a simple nice setup.

don't bother with a 4k tv. 4k projector on a huge wall maybe though....

just some tannoy V1's and a wee onkyo networked mini for music, and a cheap onkyo 5.1 with cambridge audio satellites/sub for the tv/film machine.

sounds good enough vs dollar spent.

the only reason I would find for 4K is for a workstation application, like programming or designing

for gaming you must have stupidly powerful and expensive PC to make them run at 4K around 60 FPS

There are no movies for 4K and when there will be, then the TVs will be cheaper anyway

They tend to have a problem with Full hd scaling as well, they do not manage to do it 100%.. and if you watch 1080p content on a 4K TV, then why would you buy one?

Speakers would be better for sure

a console?

they are not capable of outputting clean 1080p signal, and I am not sure if it would be a good idea to upscale an upscaled image...

Anyway, I do not see the point of using a 4x full HD TV for 1x Full HD ( or less but upscaled) content

Depends on the game as next gen is still in early days. But 1080 and 60fps are slowly coming along.

But as said i'd would demo it if i were to make the jump. Just the annoying thing is i'd like a visual upgrade but paying for a mild upgrade from my 1080 / 100hz / 8ms current tv seems not worth it

1.Depends on the game as next gen is still in early days. But 1080 and 60fps are slowly coming along.

2.But as said i'd would demo it if i were to make the jump. Just the annoying thing is i'd like a visual upgrade but paying for a mild upgrade from my 1080 / 100hz / 8ms current tv seems not worth it

1. that is correct, but we are talking about 4K.

2. demo it, but personally I am not really keen on the FHD->4K scaled thing

TVs does not seem to have new exciting features, as displaying movies is pretty straight forward. The 4K was inevitable, and to put an chip and all the TV smart tv... not my stuff.

I've been impressed with the current 1080 upscaling. Although 4k is considerably an even bigger jump, a game's image is quite different to real footage.

I'm not likely to buy one but it's no doubt a temptation, gotta save the money.

on a side note, samsung has a £470 4k 28" monitor

it tickles my fancy pretty much, as for programming and multi tasking for serious work (youtube/trials forum/ 9 gag on the same screen!!!)

or multi monitor... but it is for a different thread

4k films do exist. predominantly on sony tvs though the use of one of there media boxes. netflix has finally started to add 4k content on all sony lg and Samsung 2014 panels. but unfortunately panasonic shit out this year, that being said. netflix aside there is no content other the odd clip you may be able to download in native 4k.

the bbc have recently tested 4k broadcasting successfully and sky 4k will be released in Holland this year, and hopefully in the uk next year.

but not a single 4k television on the market today is equipped to cope with a 4k DTV signal, so when it does arrive expect to pay a hefty price tag for a set top box.

4k will be worth it. in a few years but still needs time to settle, i personally wouldn't rush out and buy one yet.

that being said though, the panasonix 58ax802(4k) does offer the best full 1080p picture ive ever seen.

Onkyo 626 amp

Kef iq30 front speakers

kef xq50c centre speaker (it's the most important one after all so more money spent on it :D )

Basic rears

Homebuilt bk monolith subwoofer with an extra 200w of power!!!

behringer parametric equalizer to EQ the sub.

Sounds sweet :dance:

the upgrades i'd like to see over the next 12 months:
Swap the fronts for kef reference series floorstanders and swap the iq's to the back.

Upgrade the amp to one with seperate pre-outs so i can get some proper amplification on the go for the front 3 speakers.