SRAM RS/RSC Guide for Trials?

woahroger

The new SRAM's RS/RSC Guide are new hydraulics, and like the saints, have 4 pistons. Has anyone heard of it being used for trials?

sram_guide_rs_black1.png?itok=gD7luW1zsram_guide_rsc_silver1.png?itok=w9WhcdeI

I think 4 pistons is overkill for trials because of big weight. The only advantage is a better modulation and cooling. I really love my Avid ( = SRAM) Elixir R with 2 pistons, it has been working fine in trials since 2009!

Surely these brakes should work best with the rotors that came with them.

Due to the depth of braking surface some pads require you'll sometimes find that the manufacturer's rotor will tend to be a bit more suitable, but for the majority of normal brakes the rotors supplied with the brake aren't necessarily the best. Having used a bunch of different types of rotors there are some that are significantly better than others, so switching around is usually for the best rather than persevering with the supplied rotors.

Isopropyl alcohol, to wipe discs, supposedly best stuff evaporates with no residue. Lightly sanded discs on a flat surface, with a sanding block and 200 grit, I think wet and dry. I them washed discs with fairy and hot water, rinsed really well. I also sanded pad surface, until it was like new, then left them all on radiator to dry.

• Like 2

Just spent 30 mins in a multistorey carpark (it's raining) bedding them in. The new sintered pads feel miles better, totally silent (for now) modulation on these is really good. Nothing like any other avid I have tried, pad rock is non existant aswell which is good.

Forgot to add dry bedding in, no water.

Edited by Dman

• 3 weeks later...

Been running these for just over 2 weeks now and I am really pleased, good power and modulation, lever feel is great, lots of adjustment, standard pads were either crap or I ruined them, the uberbike sintered are great completely changed this brake, not slipped once. Main issue with my saints was pad rock, it was bad and annoying, these brakes have no pad rock at all. Overall I'm impressed, nothing like old avids imo.

Edited by Dman

I wouldn't have many concerns going from the m810 saint to one of these, Karls brake felt perfect the lever feel and position's are great. I would be slightly weary of the calipers as they're quite small (for looks) compared to the Shimano's and potentially they could be weak but I'd still go with the risk. by the time I need to buy a new brake Karl will have had these for a long enough amount of time for me to know if I still want one.

The clamp idea is weird though?

• 1 month later...

Was sick of my noisy, squealing, pad rocking saints, so here we are, was going to try magura mt7 but got advised against them.

attachicon.gifP1030709.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030717.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030720.JPG

From the photos, I'm guessing these are the RSC model in Black.

Sounds like you settled on sintered metal pads. Looks like the new SRAM discs also.

The caliper mount, is that SRAM or by the looks something much more made by someone else.

Any other changes and what is your final decision, they work well or not as expected?

PK

Edited by PMK