Ross Clayton - Silence is the enemy TGS!

Rossy

The thing is, just because people do (roughly) the same sport doesn't mean that everyones automatically going to get on, there's still going to be clashes of personality.

I don't dislike TGS type riding, I think it can be pretty amazing. People like Matt Arkright are super good at TGS and I get on with him really well mainly because he's just a really nice guy. I've only briefly met Tunnicliffe but he seemed nice too.

The thing I don't like is when riders are inconsiderate to others (the public) which is something I've seen a few times.....mainly from NORTHERN riders. I was riding my home town once and one rider was attempting to sidehop a wall and kept on sliding to dropout, it was damaging the wall (not keen on that) and then an old man came over and politely asked him to stop as he was right next to the mans car. The rider told him to "f**k off" and then proceeded to stand over his bike, spin the wheel and honk his brake loudly for a while. I was embarrassed to be associated with that rider.

So yeah, don't think there's a hatred of types of riding from my behalf, I'm cool with watching any type of trials.

So are you trying to say your not northern ? Also have you never ever slid down to chainstay before and scratched a wall?

Yeah nice one! Ali C the man who never fails.. have you actually heard yourself?

And that's why some people think you're a twat. Ali's just made a completely valid point which in no way is a personal attack and you're trying to start an argument. Irrespective of the Northern thing I've been embarrassed to be associated with trials on a ride when people have been making stupid comments to people walking by, nearly getting in fights and generally being tossers.

Of course Ali's messed up moves but the point is that he (along with many others, myself included) wouldn't attempt the move if anyone's close by/in danger of being hit if it goes wrong and if anyone asks you to move on (for a completely valid reason) Ali (along with many others) would politely apologies and move on, not be a dickhead.

Edit: Oh yeah, the video. Some big ol' moves in there that are very impressive but particularly on the dropgaps it seems a shame you never show any of the set ups for them. You're clearly very capable at the T's and S's to get there and I'm not going to assume that you just carry your bike onto the take off spot each time before hitting the dropgap but where would be the harm in showing you doing the up to back wheel/sidehop or whatever to get you into the position of doing the move? Obviously that's not always going to be possible and some dropgaps will of course require you to carry the bike up but for some of the occasions where it would be perfectly doable to show the 'line' leading to the dropgap I think it would add a lot to the video...

• Like 3

Edit: Oh yeah, the video. Some big ol' moves in there that are very impressive but particularly on the dropgaps it seems a shame you never show any of the set ups for them. You're clearly very capable at the T's and S's to get there and I'm not going to assume that you just carry your bike onto the take off spot each time before hitting the dropgap but where would be the harm in showing you doing the up to back wheel/sidehop or whatever to get you into the position of doing the move? Obviously that's not always going to be possible and some dropgaps will of course require you to carry the bike up but for some of the occasions where it would be perfectly doable to show the 'line' leading to the dropgap I think it would add a lot to the video...

To be honest man, I bet he doesn't give a flying f**k about that...

Part of being a good TGS rider is being able to pass a bike up to someone, dont you know?

You can all call me whet ever you like over the Internet.. It makes no difference as when you see me in person you all become shivering f**kers and don't say out! So yeah big man you are for calling me a twat. LOL

And that's why some people think you're a twat. Ali's just made a completely valid point which in no way is a personal attack and you're trying to start an argument. Irrespective of the Northern thing I've been embarrassed to be associated with trials on a ride when people have been making stupid comments to people walking by, nearly getting in fights and generally being tossers.

Of course Ali's messed up moves but the point is that he (along with many others, myself included) wouldn't attempt the move if anyone's close by/in danger of being hit if it goes wrong and if anyone asks you to move on (for a completely valid reason) Ali (along with many others) would politely apologies and move on, not be a dickhead.

I don't do lines.. too much energy.. and half of the set ups are like 10" high walls which would just look terrible in a video anyway haha.. or failing that some which are bang next too a motorway or roundabout with passing traffic.. ANYWAY BIG MAN PUT YOUR BIKE WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS AND SHOW US A VIDEO OF YOU DOING WHAT YOU EXPECT ME TO DO? ✌

You can all call me whet ever you like over the Internet.. It makes no difference as when you see me in person you all become shivering f**kers and don't say out! So yeah big man you are for calling me a twat. LOL

To be fair I didn't directly call you a twat and I don't think we've ever met so you may well be nice as pie in real life but your internet persona definitely is pretty twatty.

to be honest I really couldn't care less if you did call me one.. end of day actions speak louder than words! I'll make sure my next video had plenty of me track standing and hopping onto the back wheel before a dropgap or sidehop etc... clearly you guys have never seen how it's done before it sounds

I'll make sure my next video had plenty of me track standing and hopping onto the back wheel before a dropgap or sidehop etc...

Well, it would go to show how good a rider you were.

Lots of waiting around track standing and hoping on the back wheel a lot before going for a gap/drop = not that great a rider in my humble opinion.

Well, it would go to show how good a rider you were.

Lots of waiting around track standing and hoping on the back wheel a lot before going for a gap/drop = not that great a rider in my humble opinion.

I just don't see the point in showing setting up on the back wheel.. not like no one hasnt seen how to get on the back wheel before

Most have those drop gaps have been seen before. Anyway, good vid.

Okay fair enough but what would you rather see me tracking standing then getting onto my back wheel?

Or doing the drop gaps?

And thanks for the comments :)

Hmmmm... where to start.

I'm a very old fashioned rider. When I show up at events like TartyDays my bike gets nods of appreciation usually reserved for old buses in transport museums or railway fanatics lusting over a steam locomotive from yesteryear. My riding style is just as dated - think Martin Hawyes circa 2001. I'm not particularly good at trials, my bike hasn't changed in 10 years and I certainly don't belong to a clique or group. I don't go in for TGS (Can't sidehop higher than a curb and don't know how to tap) and whilst my bike does sort of have a seat, I certainly don't belong to the '180 fakie out of everything' school of thought you mention. I do however have 15 years of trials experience so believe myself to be very impartial and knowledgable enough to get involved in this debate.

I'd like to start by thanking you for producing a video, taking the time to get it edited and put on the Internet. It's a selfless process, a thankless task and the last thing I want to do is dissuade you or others from making videos.

I've always believed that trials is the concept of riding your bike through a section of obstacles, emphasis on the word 'section.' It's obviously not always possible to film long and complicated lines, but I prefer watching longer lines to short snappy single moves one after the other, time and time again. That said, we've all been guilty of climbing up onto a wall so that we can drop off the other side, but personally I would only do that if I was incapable of getting to the starting point without cheating! I think establishing shots are important, they're used in film and television for a reason. If you've side-hopped onto a wall, done a little track stand and then finished with some sort of mega-drop-gap (I believe that's what the kids are calling them?!), I'd like to see the entire line, edited appropriately - the difficulty in editing is the balance between showing too much of the line and not showing enough. I've got this wrong myself and cringe when watching some of my videos back. This all comes down to viewer preference; do you like to watch the whole game or just watch the highlights? There's no right or wrong here.

I can also understand people watching a trials video and expecting to see trials. Barspins, X-ups, crankflips, fakie 180s, backflips, frontflips for that matter and all the tailwhip style spins that people do (does the trick have a name?) - none of this is really trials. That said, it's not wrong, it's just trials with more of a BMX influence.

I didn't know there was a 'TGS' vs 'BMX influenced trials' debate until I read this thread and it's a shame to see it spill onto the forum in this way. I've had public fallings out with other riders before but they've always been due to a clash of personalities and not due to a dislike of contrasting riding style. I've been riding with Tim Rodriguez for 15 years. He started on a 26" and now rides a 20". I can't stand his bike and I've always thought he's better on a larger bike, but he's my best mate and when we go out riding we can ride the same obstacles.... wait for it..... in different ways! It seems petty to bicker over riding style and it would be better for the sport if people could stop arguing, stop acting like f**king idiots for 5 minutes and just crack on with having fun, on bikes that we use to climb up and over stuff.

I've met Mark Westlake, Ali Clarkson and Dave Marshall before and they're all really nice people. They've all done a lot for the sport and don't deserve to be targeted, abused or made fun of on an Internet forum. Mr Clayton, you've also had a lot of vitriol thrown in your direction on this thread which is unfair, but you do seem to be using provocative language to elicit an angry response from people. I don't think you deserve to be targeted, but you're also not doing yourself any favours.

So to conclude, your video isn't a bad effort, I've explained a few reasons why it's not for me, but equally I'm blown away at just how big your drop gaps are!

Edit: I regret getting involved already. I blame it on my girlfriend watching the Great British Sewing Bee leaving me with nothing else to do.

• Like 5

Hmmmm... where to start.

I'm a very old fashioned rider. When I show up at events like TartyDays my bike gets nods of appreciation usually reserved for old buses in transport museums or railway fanatics lusting over a steam locomotive from yesteryear. My riding style is just as dated - think Martin Hawyes circa 2001. I'm not particularly good at trials, my bike hasn't changed in 10 years and I certainly don't belong to a clique or group. I don't go in for TGS (Can't sidehop higher than a curb and don't know how to tap) and whilst my bike does sort of have a seat, I certainly don't belong to the '180 fakie out of everything' school of thought you mention. I do however have 15 years of trials experience so believe myself to be very impartial and knowledgable enough to get involved in this debate.

I'd like to start by thanking you for producing a video, taking the time to get it edited and put on the Internet. It's a selfless process, a thankless task and the last thing I want to do is dissuade you or others from making videos.

I've always believed that trials is the concept of riding your bike through a section of obstacles, emphasis on the word 'section.' It's obviously not always possible to film long and complicated lines, but I prefer watching longer lines to short snappy single moves one after the other, time and time again. That said, we've all been guilty of climbing up onto a wall so that we can drop off the other side, but personally I would only do that if I was incapable of getting to the starting point without cheating! I think establishing shots are important, they're used in film and television for a reason. If you've side-hopped onto a wall, done a little track stand and then finished with some sort of mega-drop-gap (I believe that's what the kids are calling them?!), I'd like to see the entire line, edited appropriately - the difficulty in editing is the balance between showing too much of the line and not showing enough. I've got this wrong myself and cringe when watching some of my videos back. This all comes down to viewer preference; do you like to watch the whole game or just watch the highlights? There's no right or wrong here.

I can also understand people watching a trials video and expecting to see trials. Barspins, X-ups, crankflips, fakie 180s, backflips, frontflips for that matter and all the tailwhip style spins that people do (does the trick have a name?) - none of this is really trials. That said, it's not wrong, it's just trials with more of a BMX influence.

I didn't know there was a 'TGS' vs 'BMX influenced trials' debate until I read this thread and it's a shame to see it spill onto the forum in this way. I've had public fallings out with other riders before but they've always been due to a clash of personalities and not due to a dislike of contrasting riding style. I've been riding with Tim Rodriguez for 15 years. He started on a 26" and now rides a 20". I can't stand his bike and I've always thought he's better on a larger bike, but he's my best mate and when we go out riding we can ride the same obstacles.... wait for it..... in different ways! It seems petty to bicker over riding style and it would be better for the sport if people could stop arguing, stop acting like f**king idiots for 5 minutes and just crack on with having fun, on bikes that we use to climb up and over stuff.

I've met Mark Westlake, Ali Clarkson and Dave Marshall before and they're all really nice people. They've all done a lot for the sport and don't deserve to be targeted, abused or made fun of on an Internet forum. Mr Clayton, you've also had a lot of vitriol thrown in your direction on this thread which is unfair, but you do seem to be using provocative language to elicit an angry response from people. I don't think you deserve to be targeted, but you're also not doing yourself any favours.

So to conclude, your video isn't a bad effort, I've explained a few reasons why it's not for me, but equally I'm blown away at just how big your drop gaps are!

Edit: I regret getting involved already. I blame it on my girlfriend watching the Great British Sewing Bee leaving me with nothing else to do.

Now that's a proper comment!! Thank you!

Loving the yesteryear bit.

One last thing .. you just need to meet me now, I'm sure you will find I'm a nice guy too. :)

I'm just very opinionated and like to stand my ground (as anybody would)

• Like 2

Thing is if you felt a strong dislike due to a personal conflict and it even got as far as telling them they are a fanny you would down tools and sort it like real men and it would be sorted. That can't happen on the net so why is there a need for such animosity on here??

It's basically pointless being rude and called each other cuts on here, if you disagree no harm in stating your opinion and leaving at that.

I guess the point where Rossy gets so frustrated over is all the keyboard warrior talk and nothing in person.

as a rule we should just be less tolerant to forum users being rude and general c**ts. There is absolutely no point or need. Just take it up in person and fight to the death for all we care. Or just shut up and keep it'll to yourself

Thing is if you felt a strong dislike due to a personal conflict and it even got as far as telling them they are a fanny you would down tools and sort it like real men and it would be sorted. That can't happen on the net so why is there a need for such animosity on here??

It's basically pointless being rude and called each other cuts on here, if you disagree no harm in stating your opinion and leaving at that.

I guess the point where Rossy gets so frustrated over is all the keyboard warrior talk and nothing in person.

as a rule we should just be less tolerant to forum users being rude and general c**ts. There is absolutely no point or need. Just take it up in person and fight to the death for all we care. Or just shut up and keep it'll to yourself

YES DAVE!!