Olympic Bid

tomass666

London won the Olympic bid today.

Will it do anything for Trials? or any sort of mountain biking? Will it only encourage the crappy sports that are in the olympic games?

Now i'm going to make like a teacher and ask you to discuss...

i think there should be a place for trials in the olympics after all the olympics is for amatuer sports men/women. seeing as todays olympics goes completly against the olympic ideal maybe some new sports should be introduced to try and include the morals and values the games supposedly support.

i dont think anyone could say that trials is boring or has a difficult concept, it can also be asethicly pleasing aslong as the sections are well thought out, no way near as boring as say weight lifting

why not, you havent explained why, i can only see it as being good for the sport, it would give the sport recognision and looking at most olympic sports they dont sell out to the media and big coperations so hopefully it wouldnt turn into a sport controled by a monopoly

Well, 2012 is along way away, it's like 7 years away. Think what trials was like 7 years ago.

I don't think trials will be in the olimpics, it's not the right 'type' of sport really.

Trials hasnt got the publicity, if any, of other bikimg forms. Take downhill for example, theres a ps2 game devoted to it, theres a wider range of products available for that sport. Face it dude, trials is a very low key sport. Thats what makes it good in my opinion, not every kid and ther granny has got a trials bike, so when people see trials there amazed by it, aposed to some kid jumping a bmx over a grate (no offence to bmxer's as it is a good sport, just most people andthere dog have a bmx).

Tom

Is anybody else wondering why we would even want the olympics here? It's just going to cost us billions and screw everything up for a long time. As for trials I hope to Satan that it never becomes an olympic sport. The olympics is quickly becoming a farce. I mean SOLO synchronised swimming for fooks sake? Come on. Meh

Dave

P.S. I thought XC was already an olympic sport...

im not saying trials is a big sport, thats the whole point of the olympics, in the olympic ideal sponsorship isnt allowed, they only allowed it as they had no choice because things cost stupid amounts nowadays compared to when the modern olympics was thought of (baron peirre de coubertin for thoughs that dont know) if you notice even on the team kits the sponsors logo is tiny, this is so that the nation is represented instead of that company.

anyway what im getting at is that the olympics is for the lesser known sports, how many people do you know that do rythmic dancing or syncronised diving?

XC's already in, has been for a while.

BMX racing is in the next one.

There's talk of vert riding in BMX/skateboarding being in either the 2012 or one after that.

Trials could theoretically be in there, seeing as it's like the horsey shit only on bikes (Y)

With the olympics coming to britain, sport in general will become more high profile for a while, it might help funding for skateparks or help people understand that we arent vandals riding on walls.

Or the government might just encourage people to play bloody football more

I dont know if this was true or not, but I was out riding once and this older guy said "are you practising for the olympics?" so i politly said yeah and he said that he thought it was silly that they removed one of the (many) sprint races to make room for a bmx competition and I was like..."....Oh...what?!"

Like I said Im not sure if this is true or not. Personally I doubt that Trials will go to the olympics as the government don't like it anyway. Tis true what's said above, its going to cost stupid pounds just to get it here and make it slightly work

To tell the truth, i would personally not like trials to become an olympic sport,

mainly because i like this sport as a "low key" sport :S , i like the idea of belonging to a small comunity bla bla bla i'm taking this too far and off the point (N) .

ah

ecodan <_<

The way i see it, the olympics will only help the place it is held near cos it will get done up.

Trials will not make it as nobody knows what it is

At least now we have an excuse when people have a go at us, as we can say were gettin into the olympic spirit

Trials in London WILL suffer. If you think about it, security's going to be uber tight, so there'll be more police out on patrol/looking at CCTV (which there'll probably be more of), and they'll be wanting to clamp down on stuff potentially tarnishing the image of London. This'll basically be scruffy looking people hammering bashguards into walls :) But yeah, there'll just be more police around = more chance of getting done. Saying that, how many people here are still going to be riding in 7 years time...

XC's already in, has been for a while.

BMX racing is in the next one.

There's talk of vert riding in BMX/skateboarding being in either the 2012 or one after that.

Trials could theoretically be in there, seeing as it's like the horsey shit only on bikes :)

Thats flatland.

I dont know if this was true or not, but I was out riding once and this older guy said "are you practising for the olympics?" so i politly said yeah and he said that he thought it was silly that they removed one of the (many) sprint races to make room for a bmx competition and I was like..."....Oh...what?!"

Like I said Im not sure if this is true or not. Personally I doubt that Trials will go to the olympics as the government don't like it anyway. Tis true what's said above, its going to cost stupid pounds just to get it here and make it slightly work

What a f**king stupid statement.

I don't think trials should be an olympic sport, and I also think there are a lot of sports at the olympics that shouldn't be there. The first sports at the olympics were a really pure test of human ability e.g. how high can you jump, how fast can you run, how far can you throw this? I think sports like diving, although impressive, don't really conform to this and partly come down to whether the judge happens to think your way of doing things is the best. Same with things like sailing - how fast can you make this particular type of boat with sails of this particular size go on one particular day. And what's the point in different swimming strokes?? Surely it should be "how fast can you swim 100m" not "how fast can you swim if you're not allowed to kick your legs or move your arms like this" - I mean, it's not like we have a 100m hopping race, or crawling, or walking on your hands?!

OK went off on a bit of a rant there. Basically, I think all sports are impressive in their own way but not all of them belong at the olympics, and I think that trials is one of these.

And what's the point in different swimming strokes?? Surely it should be "how fast can you swim 100m" not "how fast can you swim if you're not allowed to kick your legs or move your arms like this"

So true (Y)

I mean, swimming's just about getting from one point to another, through a stretch of water. Who, in their right f**king mind, would go "I need to get to the shore. I will swim butterfly."? You'd just do front crawl, surely (Y) I just don't get why they have the butterfly stroke...

Easier or summet i guess same reason we have front glances and front taps.

Have you ever tried it?

Its like the hardest stroke possible.

Other than trying to swim 100m using your little fingers only........ or your teeth

Edited by Has anyone seen my shoe?