Ema - Educational Maintenence Allowence

Mr Motivator

Yep, its good, I get £20 a week, because my mum doesn't work, and it comes in very handy. I've got £550 in my account just from that over this year, you also get bonus payments when you actually do what you went to college/6th form to do, of £100, I've had 2 this year, dunno there might have been 3, I'm no geek, I never do any more work than is needed to get half decent results.

People I know from single parent familys relly find it handy, £120 a month isnt bad!!

rich

Find that little bit of money comes in handy?

Get a job :)

The EMA came in last year, and even though my year were still in sixth form, we didn't get anything at all. Woo. So instead, we got to sit and actually do work whilst we watched the shitheads in the year below forge notes to give to our head of year explaining their absences so they'd get their £30.

Well done government, what a f**king sound idea.

Find that little bit of money comes in handy? 

Get a job :) 

The EMA came in last year, and even though my year were still in sixth form, we didn't get anything at all.  Woo.  So instead, we got to sit and actually do work whilst we watched the shitheads in the year below forge notes to give to our head of year explaining their absences so they'd get their £30. 

Well done government, what a f**king sound idea. 

Even though I benefit from it, I couldn't agree more, it is to much money, especially if you on £30 p/w. It was being exploited in our school awfully, some girl effectedly left, and was still getting her £6 a day for nothing, and very few actually spend it wisely, most of it gets taken out of the hole in the wall in the nearest tesco, and spent inside.

Mine is going on driving, when I finally get round to it, I feel guilty for spending any of it on my bike, rarely do.

Weird that none of your Yr13 didn't receive any, they did here.

I'm on £10a week for going to 6th form, I havn't touched a penny of it, going all towards helping out with Uni fees, Made £590 this year, thats just £10 a week with the £100 bonus' you get, like every term, so 3 a year! Get 3 years of it as Im going on to do another year FE at Bournemouth Arts Institute! I hate self employed rich kids parents who still get them ema due to swangling the books!

James :)

I got £30 quid a week until a few months ago, the EMA people found that it was a 'miscalculation' me getting £30 and I should of only got £10 a week. They didn't ask for the money back though.. good job :)

I don't get jack, rather gay really seen as my parents pay a hell of alot of tax well hey another great scheme by the government.

Wooo :)

You only qualify for it if your household income is less than £x a year. If your rents earn more than this then you dont need extra money a week so quit selfishly complaining.

No i dont, it's a stupid idea in my eyes, alot of people in my year get it, and no way deserve it, where as i work real hard, have myself a job n have to earn it. just cos my parents get in a good household income doesnt mean shit, if the goverment give people money to go to school every should get it. as a family we pay a hell of a lot of money to the goverment who just give it to wasters and people who really dont deserve it, cos they cant be bothered to work hard, my dad has worked really hard over the years n earns what he gets, whihc he still gives loads away for. it's stupid, bring back tory goverment... :)

What i don't get is it's the family's income thats taken into consideration. So if your family income is low you get more money. Even if you works loads and have loads of money, you still get it if you family has a low income.

I think they should scrap it.

You only qualify for it if your household income is less than £x a year. If your rents earn more than this then you dont need extra money a week so quit selfishly complaining.

I'm not selfish i get jack off me parents they want board, and they have a stupidly big income like 60tho or summint so i suffer, tis gay, the kids of people who earn more should get mny to seen as its folks like myne that pay for it :)"

I'm not selfish i get jack off me parents they want board, and they have a stupidly big income like 60tho or summint so i suffer, tis gay, the kids of people who earn more should get mny to seen as its folks like myne that pay for it :)"

Yeah, it sucks.

When your at a-level age your you don't relie on your parents, it's all down to you to earn your own money. I know a few people who are getting £30 a week and just suing it to get pissed on the weekend. And they still earn loads from their jobs.

People aren't understanding the basis of the scheme. As I understand it, if your parents are quite poor they may not be able to buy you equipment, books or lunch or whatever so you get some money to look out for yourself. If your parents earn a lot they can afford your upkeep.

Stop f**king whinging, if your parents earn a decent wage you don't need the £30, you're just being greedy. Wait a couple of years until you have to work for money, it sucks.

People aren't understanding the basis of the scheme. As I understand it, if your parents are quite poor they may not be able to buy you equipment, books or lunch or whatever so you get some money to look out for yourself. If your parents earn a lot they can afford your upkeep.

Stop f**king whinging, if your parents earn a decent wage you don't need the £30, you're just being greedy. Wait a couple of years until you have to work for money, it sucks.

But they dont!!, they tell me to get a job which is fair enough but i think every one should be given something.

tis same with me, exactly most of the ones say in my year spend it on fags n drugs, so the goverment are aiding these people money to buy it. it started out as a nice idea i suppose but really everyone should be getting money, especially if they want to treat us all as equals. lots of people are taking advantage of it and it really should be stopped.

It works out at around a grand a year if you get all of the bonus things. So people whos parents earn more than the top limit to get money which is £30k let's work this out. The limit to get £30 a week is £19k. So £19k + £1k is £20k, compared to that £30k+ household income you have. Don't talk shit. Mongs. I dropped out of 6th form and am starting a college course next year. Ooooh yeah, extra year of sponging for Monkey :turned:

i think it's a stupid idea. it basically just bribes people to go to college. A lot of the people i know say they wouldn't bother going to college every day if they didn't get EMA :D it just defeats the object of learning, and parents like mine who are in a higher income group have to pay more tax to fund crap schemes like this. No one actually spends their EMA money on travel expenses or books etc, usually on food/booze/fags etc instead. The £100 bonus is the most stupid part though. £100 3 times a year just for turning up to college? wtf? and what do people spend that on i wonder? one of my mates put it towards a Mutiny Sinister BMX frame, and someone else bought a new phone. yeh great idea mr Blair :D and people like me cant sponge off the state, and have to pay for their own phones, bikes, petrol or woteva because our PARENTS earn more money :turned: