Tar On Your Rims.. Good Or Bad?!

hey

i just wanted to ask some peeps whether roofing tar rubbed onto your rims is a good idea or not. yea it does make it quite grippy especially when you're on the back wheel...however there is that god awful screeching noises anytime your brake pads go anywhere near the rim. Also a right bu**er to get off!

so guys, tar on the rims, good idea or not...or just personal preference?

:-

Tars great. :-

So long as you don't just go gang ho and rub is all over your rims like your tring to colour them in it's fine.

I put loads of little vertical lines, that way you can't put too much on.

Edited by JT!

18 months ago EVERYONE used tar.

Six months ago, you would have got laughed at on here for using it.

Now it's ok again, so sayeth me. TF sucks sometimes :-

Anyway, I don't really see the problem with tar. To have decent brakes that hold, you have two options:

1) Set your brake up perfectly, nice bleed, find some good pads, get a nice booster, grind your rim every couple of weeks.

2) Use tar.

Anyway, I don't really see the problem with tar.  To have decent brakes that hold, you have two options:

1) Set your brake up perfectly, nice bleed, find some good pads, get a nice booster, grind your rim every couple of weeks. 

2) Use tar.

Pretty much spot on. If your a learner, tar is amazing, gives you allot of confidence in your brake, although tar is a bit on off braking sort of thing, so dabbing the brake for manuals, etc becomes quite tricky

" I put loads of little vertical lines, that way you can't put too much on."

totally what i do (well, after my friend told me thats how he does his and its a good idea!) cheers guys the advice is mucho appreciated. is it a good idea to refresh the tar? like try to take all of it off after say a couple of weeks and start afresh or is it ok to just let it get worn down and rub more onto your rim. or willl i basicallly just eventually stick my pads to my rim?! :-

Some people plain prefere the feel of a grind, like me.

My grind wore out and i couldn't be arsed to re-do it, so i whacked a bit of tar on there (like the good ol' days!) and i thought it felt horrible, didn't hold as well and i had to keep fannying around with blocks of sticky black sheet.

But i used it for ~2 years with little problem, 'til i found grinds.

Tar is awesome. Screw the squeaks etc. Having a workin, reliable brake is what its about right?

Oh, and to remove it just dabble a bit of white spirit on a rag and give the rims a wipe. Leave it to dry and your away. (the small coating of tar on your pads gives you a good bit of brakin for a while with a clean rim too! <_<

I really only use tar near the end of a ride when I'm knackered, just to make things slightly easier, and so I don't hurt myself. I feel for learning It Is a bad Idea because It Is really cheating yourself. What I'm trying to say Is that If you can make a gap using tar AND no tar then you can successfully make that gap. My opinion anyways. I used to use the stuff alot but felt It wasn't really helping my technique/ learning because It made me think I could do things that I really shouldn't be making.

ash.

tars annoying its inconsistant sometimes it will work great, other times it will stick and not relese instantly and sometimes it will make your braje slip. it CAN be amazing but i want my brake to work the same all of the time so have an old grind good pads an a booster an it works good

Grind, Plaz Pads and a good bleed (if running a maggie).

I've had my grind (more like a light scratching) and plaz pads for almost 3 months, and I have never had to re-grind, my pads look brand new even after months (no wear) and the brake works like all brakes should AMAZING.

I also used to use tar religiously but for under 20 quid you could get some decent pads and never have to worry, until re-order time that is.