My Tpa Bodge

walker

This is my 05 maggie tpa, its the same dimensions as the original red one but is miles better. Its more responsive and reliable cos the lever is pushing on metal threads as opposed to plastic. i turned it out on a lathe out of a huge shaft from a tractor. i knurled it so its easy to turn with the fingers. I love it, its uber.

the TPA:

[RESIZED PICTURE BELOW]

-Andrew

This now makes me want an 05 mag. Oh yeah, did you know, you can use flat coca-cola as hydraulic fluid :rolleyes:

But in that coke can dissolve teeth in not much time, isn't it going to absolutely f**k the seals? Not to mention if you left it standing it might cover the insides in crap? 'cos water and mineral oil's gonna be more ph neutral/not full of sugar?

Yeah probably would after a time. My lecturer told me that she used coke when she was out on safari when the truck lost loads of fluid. Got her back to base. Meh

Its not unknown for squaddies to piss in landrover radiators to get them back to base, but i wouldnt like to drive through town like that :rolleyes:

Hey aran, it was probably mine that u saw at fort bill, on my lb 20" (u gave me the brake pad and had a ride on my bike before u twisted ur ankle!). I replaced the plastic one because it broke due to all the force that is applied from ur finger being exerted on the plastic threads. When this happened the lever just pulls in and renders it useless. i would advise every one with the new maggies to do something about it. it could reck ur days riding if it happens to you.

As a temporary fix i used an M5 nut, but the diameter is hardly large enough to turn with ur fingers, but it allowed me to carry on riding for a while.

-Andrew

Hey aran, it was probably mine that u saw at fort bill, on my lb 20" (u gave me the brake pad and had a ride on my bike before u twisted ur ankle!). I replaced the plastic one because it broke due to all the force that is applied from ur finger being exerted on the plastic threads. When this happened the lever just pulls in and renders it useless. i would advise every one with the new maggies to do something about it. it could reck ur days riding if it happens to you.

As a temporary fix i used an M5 nut, but the diameter is hardly large enough to turn with ur fingers, but it allowed me to carry on riding for a while.

-Andrew

basically what i have done with mine but it hasnt stripped threads fully its just jumped a set and wont move anywhere at all now.

i may make a few, if i have the time, i have access to two lathes, at school or the placed where i worked during the holidays. I'm not certain yet, i'll only tell u when ive made them.

Bucky, thats wat happened to mine when it was on the way out, i soon had to take action.

-Andrew

• 2 months later...

On the subject, to save me from making a new topic on this, my tpa has broken due to my "mate" turning it too far, and its screwed, it adjusts but then pings back and is all quier :)

Can anyone help me out?

PS: I do have a spare lever, can you replace it in any way?

Cheers lads <_< B)

I retapped mine then not shortly after it went again so I changed the levers over :D Just hope it doesnt happen again because you cannot buy the TPA's seperatley the gays at magura want you to buy a whole new lever for £25 :turned: Im going to investigate the metal ones further ! Considering if the plastic thread goes mid air or when you land, a very painful Incident could occur (Y)

Josh..