Free Magura Pads

Heatsink

Hi,

Despite the outward signs of quietness, the longterm testing (started in July 05!) of a wide array of newly sourced brake compounds is still continuing thoroughly on, with the able assistance of Tartybikes and my Teamriders. After loads of rejected compounds we've hit upon some very promising ones, and would like to extend testing some more and offer hand made test pads to some of the forum regulars for their feedback.

To be an ideal match for some free pads, you should be capable of writing thoroughly about your experiences with the pads. Being totally honest and not putting a postive gloss on things just because I'm being nice to you!

Also, it helps if you've got experience running some of the established pads on the market, for example Koxx, Plaz, and of course the current Heatsink blue pads. This will help to compare these test compounds against bench mark performance.

Being a rider who puts demands on his brake pads is also useful. The sort of riders who are doing an array of moves to a good standard, will naturally be able to assess their performance in the broadest context.

We're focussing on the usual brake performance aspects:

1. Grip and Modulation (Crazy grippy pads have little modulation, whilst pads that allow slip easily for modulation will lack the same level of grip for big moves - it's a compromise that you have to make depending on your riding requirements) on the following rim types:
    a..) Smooth rims
    b..) Freshly ground rims
    c..) Dead ground rims
  2. Wet/Dry performance flucations
  3. Longterm performance flucations (eg. due to dusting of worn away material, glazing of the pads)
  4. Wearlife for the harsher pad setups such as ground rims - properly measured versus a log of hours ridden on the bike rather than time out taking a breather! - Measuring could be done with a ruler (since calipers are expensive), provided many tens of hours of genuine intense riding have been put on the pads so that something is there to be measured!
  5. Wear pattern uniformity
  6. "Brake Feel"

Obviously the aim is to continue to raise the performance level of Heatsink pads if it's humanely possible, whilst keeping the price at the same low figure - In this way giving riders better and better value for money.

Pads will come glued into brand new Powerpad backings. I'm afraid I can't afford to give away the CNCed Alumiunium reuseable backings to reviewers!

Hopefully reviewers will get a nice long period of free and great braking in exchange for writing critical feedback via PM to me every so often. This time of year is especially good for evaluating the typically challenging aspects of pad performance such as wet performance and wear life. For the wear life, with it being so cold I'm sure you guys will be riding more intensively as I am too, desperate to keep warm!

I look forward to your replies and justification why I should pick you :(

Cheers,

Steve

me me me me me please :( :S

i think that its a good idea to give them to some of the regulars BUT id also throw in some dummy compounds to catch the people out who are saying the wrong things :) it could get quite amusing make a game of it.

Also steve, i was with Mr Porter last couple of days could you send me a couple of sets of that compound he has in his rear brake please? to slip into my replacement alloy backings??? would be much appreciated. speak to you soon

Waynio....................

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

you will be getting the best pads ever if you get the same compound i was sent the other day, and as steve can back up, im not just saying that cause im a "team rider". my brake has never been so good, and the performance just doesnt die in the wet. this new compound is the dogs doogles.

say bye bye to plaz/koxx/any other shitty rip off pad

ok, i know im not a very well known person on this forum, but i may as well have a go at asking. I run ceramic rims and obviously the right pad choice can be critical well on any rim but these especially i feel. i have run koxx browns, koxx reds, plazmatics reds and currently using the new heatsink blues which just squeeze as the best pads iv run on the rim, just beating the plazmatics. They are very nearly worn down but still are awesome. Anyway i feel i could write a good review on these pads, often and as i have used a wide range of pads, and just to say ( english A2) :S cough. Anyway i thought id try so thanks for reading :(

Hey Steve.

I sent an order through about an hour ago for some of the vee pads, feel free to put a nice compound in them if you want :(

I just might :S That makes me think - Any owners of Aluminium Heatsink Vees or Plaz CRV Vee backings, I would consider sending out compound to you for testing if I could find the right match of reviewer type people. Ideally you'd be able to cut the compound to fit your Vee backings (it certainly saves me time).

Thanks for submissions so far in this thread and via PM. Sorry if I don't reply straight away to all PMs or proposals in this thread - I'll be having an indepth first look later on, possibly tomorrow evening when I will have some time.

James and Wayne, it sounds like an amazing trip away that you had riding with my Trials heros in Porthcawl :) The compound you've been running James is indeed one of those that I want to keep testing and watching closely! I'll pop you some pairs of refills in the same compound Wayne, fear not :P

I'll keep my eye on the submissions over the coming days, and start to pick names at the beginning of next week.

Thanks for your interest, and I'll catch up later.

Steve

Hi Steve, I certinally would not mind testing some pads for you, I've been meaning to buy some blues for a while now but I'm really short on cash after my forks passing away. I ride a Hog rim with a Stanley Knife grind and currenty running some of your clearance Honigs which are really good in the dry but seem to sometimes work in the wet and sometimes don't, anyway it's your choice and I would try to write a detailed explanation as possible. Thanks, Kieron :(

hey there steve i think this is a awsome idea for getting your pads just right , i would love to test pads for you :( i have used rimjam blues and greens , koxx browns, koxx greens, koxx blues, plaz pads, heatsink batch cs, zoos, toxsins, standerd black pads and standerd red pads so i do have alot of experiance with pads and i could comment on how everyone of those pads have proformed,the wear rate on all of them and what i think is the best pad on the market at current. i like to have the best brake possible that i can have and i tend to put my pads to the limmit and i like to see how well my pads perform before i go out and ride them when there new by doing a few tests like puttong water on them, booning up realy slanted walls backhopping has hard as i can to see how much slip the brake has so i have a idea =of how they are going to proform :S as for riding i would say i am not that harsh my biggest tap is 47 inch, biggest sidehop is 41 inch, biggest gap 8ft flat to flat and i like some of the spinny stuff and i have pics and people who i have seen me to back me up :) but yer i would be more than happy to test pads and write full detailed reviews on the pads that i would be testing regually updateing you weekly or whenever :P

anyway let me know

cheers

Pauly

Hi there.

Right, the reasons you should pick me are:

- I can set up break pads correctly (which, lets face it, a LOT of people can't), i will therefore be reviewing the compounds, rather than a dodgey set up!

- I have used a range of pads including koxx browns, reds and yellows, coust pads, plaz CRM's and Planet-x stickys. And recently i have been switching a lot to see which works best in the persent conditions of winter.

- I ride competitions (Tyke trials) at expert level, so I will be putting the pads through the real pressures of that style of riding. I am also riding a decent amount on the street, I.e. will be able to test the pads on large moves.

- I enjoy riding in the rain just as much as the sun, so i will be able to give fair comments about how they perform in the rain.

- I ride almost everyday so i will give them a lot of use.

All in all i am a decent rider (without wanting to blow my own trumpet) and i will be able to write a decent review concerning all areas you are interested in. I ride a ronnie rim and have a 2005 magura set up on a Czar frame with no booster.

Thanks, Phil.

Myself and Travis welcome the offer to test your new pads... Trav rides mod (Python) and im stock (GU -cummin in 2 weeks time)

we could probally help you quite well with the surface variation testing too, as i like to have a medium grind, but have just ordered a new 48mm Echo rim, so i wil have chance to test on smooth serfice, and then after the 'Novelty' of having annodized sidewalls has worn off, i shall have my usuall medium grind. so theres a couple of surfaces covered already..

we are both very picky to how we like our back brakes to work, both prefering 100% lock, no modulation,we both put a Lot of demand on our brakes,and if they dont feel up to scratch, its very off putting! :S, but i also used to run a rear disk, for about 3 years! so i no very well how modulation shuld feel like :)

we have had experiences with, koxx blox, plazz Crm, Spanish fly, maggy black, koolstop, Sticky pads, Zoo! pads, rimjam Reds and Blues..

Thanx, Ryan + Travis :(

HA HA...he's going to get so flooded with e-mail and PM's...i might as well join the bandwagon!! :(

Hey Mr.Heatsink!!

The pads sound nice! I'd love to try a pair seeing as i have been stuck with my onza kool stops for about 2years on my smooth front rim (been meaning to buy some heatsinks for ages, and so has my mate Ad101 (Adam Storey)). My plazzies on the worn rear grind arent the best either, espically in the wet, so I could switch the pads from front to back to get a full range of results (Or send 2 pairs maybe :P ) It's been really hard to find a good pad in the wet, without having a hardcore grind you normally have no brake atall and end up with severe pump in your arms (1 finger)!!!

Id love to help you out Steve and my reviews will be very helpful and most probably complimenting the pad because im sure it will be immense!!

Great name btw! :S

Cheers

Steve :)

Ive currently got some Heatsink Konigs (the red ones) and since i started riding at my friends farm they dont seem to be locking very well (on a grind) and I'm too poor to buy some new ones :S

I have a wide range of natural stuff to ride on at my doorstep, and I have worked so very hard at all your other competitions, it would be nice to win something for once :P

Cheers for reading,

Andy

ok well where do i start....ok lets count the koxx yellows as that when i feek that really started omrpovin and throught that i had been tnrough some rim jams red, ble and geens wich i reallt think they werye not up to the job. i then went back to some trusty koxx bloxx this was on a alex dx32 and to be honest was good in the wet just as soon as it got wet grind dies and pads lots the power..so i tried a koxx brown and one koxx yello and they were wickid bud didnt last long and again dies quicky. so then i tried some heatsink white pads wich i loved and could see myself never changing just had the grabiness byt again as son as it got wet again they were out and no good, then tried some of the oldy heatsiink yellows wich lasted me ages and were same sorta thing as whites just didnt have the power in wet...

no i bought a set of blues as everyone was raving about so went and bought a set and to be honset they were no where as good as i thouhgt they would be.. the were very lod but to me it fely as iff the material was sqyuishy and very spongy wich let the plastick backings to flex aswell. within about a week out of all the materail on the oad had almost done and had had started to wear at strang weird angles. i put the pads down to be quite soft and and also having a very shard grind (sunn doublwide). so stuck the bloxx back .

after stickin with a not so good brake for awhile i was looking for and arenative i saw the nex cnc backings wich were now out so off i went to order myself. when i got them they looked amazing and were made very well. i stuck them on the bike and i was expecting for the pads to die quicky and and we ready to put some koxx bloxx in the cncs thinkiny that they were goin to die very soon. i was very rong. they are wickid extremly loud rode i the wet and hold amzing and i have no flex beacause of the cnc backindas and no spngey plastic backings. the pads are till wearing fas. but knowhere nbear as fast as they did first time around. very happy with the blues and the cncs i also have a rb lever and it soo stiff. wickid pads. just spose could do with a less harsher grind. also hearing how easy it is to peplace new materials was a big attraction also i can tell that there is less pad roll with cnc backings and alslo the o rings are replacable so thats all good.

so thats bout me done. few pics not brill but get they idea...

gallery_955_34_28463.jpg

gallery_955_34_40261.jpg

thanks

Hey there I'd be more than happy to test your pads. I can honestly say I'm not the best rider ever but I do have some potentially attractive features as a tester. I live in Canada so if you need them tested in really cold conditions, I've got you covered there :S . Also, after having to set up my maggies probably more times than is healthy due to switching components, etc., I like to think I know how to set them up properly. I could give you clear and concise feedback on the pads' various features. Lastly I'm running a very dead grind currently. It's a long shot but I'd be happy to test them for you.

Edited by sUm