Magura Water Bleed

Ben Geary

Just went out with my mate riding and yeah it's meg freezing outside, so anyway we were riding and my brake started to feel weird like some one was adjusting my tpa constantly at first i thought it was just me but it got worser and worser. So i knew it was starting to freeze.

After 2 minutes it had frozen completely and i had to pick me bike up and walk all the way home as my back wheel was fully locked up, My mate said if you don't get home quick enough you brake could freeze and the ice would expand and split my hosing.

My mates maggie was bleeded with water and no antifreeze and his was ok but his was getting worser,

i'm just really wondering if it can expand and split your hosing and has it ever happened to you.

Ben :blink:

Same happened to me tonight :blink: had to carry my bike for ages in the freezing cold.

I doubt itd break your maggie, but its best to unscrew your tpa if it starts to freeze so that it can expand without too much pressure. I'll probably put antifreeze in mine tomorrow...

Yeah, mine froze up several times. Generally, the pads just move to the rim and then push the piston out some more too (at the lever). It rarely actually splits the seals, unless you've got the TPA riiiiiiight in and you've got the pads already on the rim or something...

Shouldnt need to rebleed it. If its got a bit of air in, just loosen off the TPA, take off the grub screw at the lever, pull the lever in till you see fluid rising up (with no air bubbles). Slowly retract lever while dripping water in. Sorted.

oh and make sure you do it with the bike lying down so the grub screw is facing upwards, obviously :blink:

Edited by Nozmeister

Just don't let it happen to often, 'cause if the pistons have no where to go, then it will expand the hose, and plastic doesn't take kindly to that. Therefore it will either split or not return fully to its proper shape, and the inside volume will change, making it go all spongy.

lighter to pull, quicker retract, cheaper and easier to bleed

WORD

I also recall my maggie freezing up the last time I rode in cold weather (year before last) had to walk the bike home also, did no harm at all other than stopping me riding. most likely for the best as it was too cold for mucking about outside anyway!!

Well, you learn something new everyday.

When I was out riding yesterday, I nearly fell off as there was ICE on some of the walls! So I checked each surface carefully.

Personally, I rode in a T-Shirt. It's freezing when you first get out, but once you start riding properly (and not just standing round watching like soooo many riders I see) you really heat up.

Why would you want to ride in weather which has minus temperature numbers!?

If it's anywhere near like 8 degrees it's too cold for me :)

There was me thinking yorkshire types we're 'ard as nails! :-

My brakes didn't freeze last night, thank god, so long as they don't tonight, or tomorrow I should be set. :-