Hope Pro 2 Trials Hubs

SiTrials

no it isnt! dont change it rich :) its the wrong way round for a front brake, which stops the wheel when its going forwards, but most of the forces on a rear brake are going the other way, making the way he as it now more suited.... not that it REALLY makes any difference!

Actually, that is a (leeson modified)C2 rotor, and if you look at old hope manuals, they say put the rotor on that way round for C2, and all the old brakes. Its only when they brought out the mini that they changed it.

Well I've gone and changed it now so sod it, when things start going wildly wrong I'll know who to blame. :P

Rich

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping this thread, but i'm hesitating to buy a pro 2 trial or not.

I'm curious of longer time reviews of this hub.

Did anyone killed one? How?

Is it worth to buy the 2007 one? Is that stronger?

Will normal (~2mm wide) cogs dig in to the freehub? (I'm asking it because I've seen this pic: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/ash...pro2hubs003.jpg )

Looking for your replies.

I believe damon watson killed on in three hours. The 2006 models had a slight fault and some cracked near the drive ring however this has been strengthened for the 2007 models.

They are absolutly amazing hubs, I have not had mine skip once, I have owned a King and I would not say that I would go back to a King the Pro 2 is just so good. It engages really solidly and doesnt feel sponey when putting a lot of power down.

Right well mine arrived this morning thnaks to the amazing service of those bike tart guys and the ROYAL MAIL B) (only ordered yesterday afternoon). And Ive got afew points to make

1. Ive opened it up and im pretty sure all the pawls are the same size - the system works because of the way the pawls are positioned - ie when the first pair (say top n bottom pair) is locked into the ratchet teeth, then the second left and right pair is positioned halfway up the ratchet upslope (cant think of a better description) either one in advance or one behind (in comparison to top and bottom) but exactly opposite each other.

Right

2. The new axle / bearing design looks good massively oversized compared to the mono and the bearing actually supports the hub right under the engagements (my only major gripe with the mono is snapping axles every 5 mins) fun bolts are awesome for a trials hub stiffens the back end up abit - and helps with the broken axle syndrome.

3. the new seal is a bitch - that was awesome about the mono - being able to take it apart really really easy.... but this seal is more fiddly than engraving your name on a grain of rice. although having said that though it looks as if it may actually keep some muck out !!! so swings and roundabouts.

4. I dont ever want to run another disc at the back so this hub is slightly frustrating

5. they all are in 6 speed i believe (could be wrong there)

Cant wait to get a build on

oh and 6. They are basically only a few quid more than the old hubs.... take that CK

posted that feb 06 - so nearly a year and a half later Iam running the same hub. in that time i have had one broken spring. I took it apart twice since I have had it Last time was just a couple of weeks ago - and it looks pretty much brand spanking inside)

I have basically had zero problems in all this time.

Rowan

sadly.....

after some of the things ive said in the pro2 threads before, it looks like in about to eat a large slice of humble pie.

im buying a Pro2.

i still dont think its as well engineered as a king, and its obviously nowhere near as complicated. but thats half the beauty of it.

with kings, you seem to get lucky, or you dont.

my last king was on my bike for 4 years, and in that time it NEVER skipped once, it was 100% perfect, and i trusted it with my life.

when that got nicked, i got a single speed hub.

big mistake. i still look after it, but it just doesnt seem to be as reliable as my old disco, its skipped on me badly once, which scared me, and i no longer really trust it......

also, i fancy an echo rim, so a 32h hub is needed, and theres not a chance im paying for another king hub!

Pro2 on order for me in the next few weeks!

i bought one the other day came in the post the next day from tarty it looks awsome in the gunsmoke colour its in the shop atm getting built on a 24" rim ill say how it rides in a few days or so with a 24" bike :shifty:

Thanks seb

Sorry for bumping this thread, but i'm hesitating to buy a pro 2 trial or not.

I'm curious of longer time reviews of this hub.

Did anyone killed one? How?

Is it worth to buy the 2007 one? Is that stronger?

Will normal (~2mm wide) cogs dig in to the freehub? (I'm asking it because I've seen this pic: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/ash...pro2hubs003.jpg )

Looking for your replies.

It will be Deffinatly worth buying the 2007 as they are alot stronger. I have only heard of 2 braking but they were off the same person.

Matt Rushton

Got a pair of Pro II non trials on the XC bike, bloody amazing hubs!

Seem very strong from what ive used, can get abit annoying with the super loud click though.

Worth it getting one really as they arent exactly expensive.

I believe damon watson killed on in three hours.

Dont think thats true, i think his lasted quite a while actually. My pro2 is mint i cracked the shell but had it replaced and the 07 shell seems great and have had no problems they never skip great hubs.

Bought my original Pro II mid August.

Now on my 5th :(

I do use a disc but they were designed to be used with a disc and not a maggie!

Had most problems sinse getting a KOT MS2. Too much flex me thinks as the frames to crack.

Think i've just been unlucky but Hope have always helped with warranty.

On average, new hub nearly every two months.

Rob

Dont think thats true, i think his lasted quite a while actually. My pro2 is mint i cracked the shell but had it replaced and the 07 shell seems great and have had no problems they never skip great hubs.

From what i remember, he broke two pro2's, the first lasted a couple o months, the second snapped the same day he built it up.

now he runs an 07 i think....

It will be Deffinatly worth buying the 2007 as they are alot stronger. I have only heard of 2 braking but they were off the same person.

Matt Rushton

Bought my original Pro II mid August.

Now on my 5th :(

I do use a disc but they were designed to be used with a disc and not a maggie!

Had most problems sinse getting a KOT MS2. Too much flex me thinks as the frames to crack.

Think i've just been unlucky but Hope have always helped with warranty.

On average, new hub nearly every two months.

Rob

just to let people know, none of the 07 shells have cracked, well none have been sent back to hope anyway,spoke to one of the guys there on monday,

ash

just to let people know, none of the 07 shells have cracked, well none have been sent back to hope anyway,spoke to one of the guys there on monday,

ash

Haha I have to laugh

I rang up hope about getting a blown up pro 2 fixed and the guy tried to claim that they had never had one back.

They will tell you anything you want to hear and fix it quick.

Its called customer "care".

As long as you get a shiny new hub back its all ok.

This doesnt mean that the hubs are good though.

hmmm read through this whole thread. Did want a king and hadnt really considered the hope. Basically getting fed up of the crap getting in my freewheel eg sand lol. Gona weight up the difference in weight and decide what to do. Hope seem to have a great aftersales service so not worried if it eventually breaks. -Hugh

Haha I have to laugh

I rang up hope about getting a blown up pro 2 fixed and the guy tried to claim that they had never had one back.

They will tell you anything you want to hear and fix it quick.

Its called customer "care".

As long as you get a shiny new hub back its all ok.

This doesnt mean that the hubs are good though.

thye havnt had any 07 shells back yet, they have had 06 shells back,

they dont just tell me anything, i helped with the pro 2 in the early stages and i know the designer very well,

either way their customer aftercare is of an excellent standard by any menas judging by peoples comments on here.

Joe has cracked 2. Well ripped the ratchet out of one and cracked other. Thats what he told me.

Matt Rushton

joe has'nt cracked any 07 shells (the one with the new buldge in), because owen at hope hasnt had him back with any, he did strip a ratchet thread, but what more do you expect from joe! hes a power house that lad!

either way hope will always help out with problems in the time of need. greta fatrecare judging by oppinions on here.

regards ash

thye havnt had any 07 shells back yet, they have had 06 shells back,

they dont just tell me anything, i helped with the pro 2 in the early stages and i know the designer very well,

either way their customer aftercare is of an excellent standard by any menas judging by peoples comments on here.

joe has'nt cracked any 07 shells (the one with the new buldge in), because owen at hope hasnt had him back with any, he did strip a ratchet thread, but what more do you expect from joe! hes a power house that lad!

either way hope will always help out with problems in the time of need. greta fatrecare judging by oppinions on here.

regards ash

good job you did there (Y)

good job you did there (Y)

if that is meant to be sarcastic? id take that back? not one ratchet has failed to date.... some do slip, yet not one has gone back broken, if your having a dig at me i also take it your having a dig at wayne, stan, mathew holdsworth joe shepheard, all the other riders locally who tested the pro 2's, not only the trials version but also the same ratchet in the standard pro 2 xc hubs aswell,

ash