Why Do You Always Do Things On The Wrong Side ?

franssouet

Hi British people !

I was wondering when i looked at all your bikes' pictures ...

Why do you always do things on the wrong side ?

Your front brake is the right, where you have all the power, and the rear brake, the one you use more often (i hope ^_^ ...) is on the left, where your arm is the less powerfull ...

Moreover, you're driving on the left side of the road ... You changes the gears with the powerless arm ...

What's in your mind ?

you enjoying using our language are you?

Notice how these manufacturers make right hand drive cars? thats because even though they could ignore us UK'ers and stay left hand only but we're GREAT BRITAIN.. we do what we want when we want and you love us for it!

go go iraq! rofl..

surley you want your strongest hand on the bar and not on the brake when your going up meh!!!!

shit topic.......... you drive on the wrong side of the road meh!

go have a wank or think about something more important and give yourself a spam for not realising it like 3yrs ago and being totally ignornat!

The "english way" is easier to cope with for those who also ride a motorcycle. I know a chap over here who has his brakes the other way round, it's an absolute killer for people who ride his bike without asking first hahahaha

Edited by Inur

I've always configured my brakes so that :

• Right = front
  • Left = rear
Unfortunately , here in Holland , all riders do the opposite denying me the opportunity to test their bikes >_< . Terrible , really that I'm so accustomed to my setup , that I can scarcely do anything much the other way around . Hell , only lived in the United Kingdom for a few years , but my patriotism for Blighty emerges with things like this .

Moreover, you're driving on the left side of the road ... You changes the gears with the powerless arm ...

Well hmmm so your stronger arm can hold the steering wheel so you wont drift off hitting other cars ;)(Y)

Actually, I think you'll find a very sound historical basis for driving on the left.

Take a look back to horses, the lady was furthest on the left, but anyone coming the opposite direction could be fought with the right hand, and woman was protected and not in way.

You foreigners do it the other way cos napoleon was an arrogant tit. :-

We have things called corners and roundabouts over here in the UK so the steering wheel is used much more and requires the use of the power"full" arm...

I doubt that's the actual reason but meh, works for me.

Im right handed. I tend to think my left arm is stronger than my right, but my right is better at performing more complex things, and better at being more 'precise' with it's movement.

I dont know, I couldn't switch my brakes round anyway, and havn't any reason to, it's obvious that we can all ride well and it doesn't hinder us.

But think about it though, to brake you're only using one finger. The strength of that finger isn't going to be massively different on one hand or the other, is it? You may be able to write/draw better with your right, but that doesn't mean you can't pull a lever backwards with your other finger, at all.

And now for JT's interesting fact of the day.

The reason we drive on the left hand side of the road is becuase we had to use the left path when jousting so we can joust with our right (dominant) hand. Jousting was an English thing, hence why we drive on the left and not on the right like the amaericans.

Supose the guy who invented the bike (Mr McBicycle) just put it there, and made the brakes that way round becuase he felt like it. Dosn't really matter.

Edited by JT!

The reason we have our brakes round the "wrong" is because of the way we drive on the "wrong" side of the road. If one were to be indicating right, that is to go across the opposing lane of traffic as one makes ones turn, one would find oneself having to stop in the centre of the road whilst waiting for a gap in the opposing directions traffic. Thus it is safer to be covering the rear brake, whilst indicating with the front brake hand, avoiding going over the handles bars into the opposing directions traffic. This is assuming of course, that most people who ride a bike have very little in the way of bike conrol, and that there ia a god.

I think you are being unnecessarily harsh on the guy who started this topic, some of the comments are starting to sound like racism. Its a very genuine question, and something we have probably all thuoght about at some point with regard to our continental couterparts.

The reason we have our brakes round the "wrong" is because of the way we drive on the "wrong" side of the road. If one were to be indicating right, that is to go across the opposing lane of traffic as one makes ones turn, one would find oneself having to stop in the centre of the road whilst waiting for a gap in the opposing directions traffic. Thus it is safer to be covering the rear brake, whilst indicating with the front brake hand, avoiding going over the handles bars into the opposing directions traffic. This is assuming of course, that most people who ride a bike have very little in the way of bike conrol, and that there ia a god.

I think you are being unnecessarily harsh on the guy who started this topic, some of the comments are starting to sound like racism. Its a very genuine question, and something we have probably all thuoght about at some point with regard to our continental couterparts.

My answer was better... Proffesor :P

Hi British people !

I was wondering when i looked at all your bikes' pictures ...

Why do you always do things on the wrong side ?

Your front brake is the right, where you have all the power, and the rear brake, the one you use more often (i hope ^_^ ...) is on the left, where your arm is the less powerfull ...

What's in your mind ?

Did it not occur that maybe people get used to riding their way? i mean your used to riding with your brakes the goon way but i know for a fact that my left hand pulls the brake harder and is generally much better for braking than my right one, which coincidentally is much better for front wheel moves as its slightly more responsive.

People adapt to what they are presented with. ;)

Its Quite Simple Really.

WE ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU

You obviously are so self douted that must rear brake with your strongest hand, where we are so damn goot at everything, we rely our lives on our weaker hands, thus making what was once weak, strong.

They dont call us GREAT britan for nothing, its not like USA has a title, it not good america, or fanstastic states of america.

just united, meaning you are all united in your moronic ways, and follow the masses like sheep.

We once owned 70% of the world, but gave it back becasue we thought it was unfair on the rest of you.

And now for JT's interesting fact of the day.

The reason we drive on the left hand side of the road is becuase we had to use the left path when jousting so we can joust with our right (dominant) hand. Jousting was an English thing, hence why we drive on the left and not on the right like the amaericans.

Supose the guy who invented the bike (Mr McBicycle) just put it there, and made the brakes that way round becuase he felt like it. Dosn't really matter.

lmao. i was waiting for something like that. from the one and only JT!! haha.

and thats a fact. lmao. bike jousting would be good.

Wah !!

I wasn't expecting so much answers !

I can't quote them all, but some are a little bit too ... maybe too racist.

You're right, one can adapt to all circonstances, and make his left or right finger getting stronger and stronger. But it was just a question.

It's not an occasion to blame us for what we did during the last centuries

We weren't on the wrong side of the Channel when we were saving your asses in WWII though were we (the judge)
or to say you're the best people ever ...
WE ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU (trials_pimp)

But you're always talking about driving, and about your well known superiority ...

But i still don't have my answer ...

You do know that everyone else (All Europe, USA, Asia ... everybody exept maybe Malta ... ) is riding like us, French frogs ...

why do you ride with the brakes on the other way ?

Hope you won't be too hard ;)