Maguras, To Damn Expensive?

ogre

its supply and demand if there is enough people willing to pay that price then why shouldnt they charge it.

if you think of it on a broader spectrum its not really a very good argument, as if you break down any thing into its parts, buy them seperately and build the complete product then it will pretty much always cost more.

if you break one lever its gonna cost you only 30-40 quid. If you really want then you can spend the extra 60-50 quid to buy a complete set, but what are you gonna do with the extra bits, you might, you might not break them?

so you really just got to suck it up and live with it!

Edited by curly_freak

"I spent £115 on my lev....oh....its scratched....sh!t :("

its for a pair, so thats half the price per lever, still not cheap, but they are the best feeling levers out-well for cable brakes, nothing beats the juciy levers for hydro :)

and scratches? who cares :S (they dont scratch easily at all anyway) as long as it keeps performing is what matters :)

i haven't read the thread but i remember the days when maguras used to be £180 advertised in mbuk

and they were much shitter than todays ones

so answer : no.

£180 :blink: . That was back in the day aswell so would be probebly be over £200 by todays standards.

Its realy not that great. If you read into it you will find that practicaly everyone on this forum is making theirs void by either using water instead of oil or using aftermarket pads.

How can they prove we've been using aftermarket pads?

We could buy some blacks for £5, or just find old ones, then clean the system, oil bleed it (if water bled before) and send it to them for whatever reason.

They'll never know. ;)

Anyway, I don't like the '05 levers, So I'm gunna say that that's slightly overpriced.

I just spent £30 on a pair of new cylinders, which are awesome.

I didn't think that was overpriced.

After all, they're basically the main part of the brake.

So in conclusion, (getting like an essay now) I'd say that Magura aren't overpriced. (Y)

i haven't read the thread but i remember the days when maguras used to be £180 advertised in mbuk

and they were much shitter than todays ones

so answer : no.

Indeed. I paid £270 for some HS-22 Race Line Ds back in 1996. So, the real question is, how the hell can they sell them so cheap now? Rip off? Sheesh. You lot don't know you're born.

i remember the days of maguras been £200.00 for a set :o :o

Waynio..........................

what else would you use though??? its the best brake on the market (for the rear anyway) in my own personal opinion.

yeah thats why i started using vee because i could afford maggies :)

on a side note nicest vee levers ever...

Indeed. I paid £270 for some HS-22 Race Line Ds back in 1996. So, the real question is, how the hell can they sell them so cheap now? Rip off? Sheesh. You lot don't know you're born.

Same here, my racelineD's were £300 and then i had to by boosters!!! but the old kits did come with a standard evo fitting kits as well as qr's, black, grey, green frog and cool stop pads (set of 4 of each) and spare olives (i had 5 in mine)

There cheap now because every other rider uses them :blink:

Back when i got mine i only saw about 6 other pairs in 2 years...... can you do that now????

Edited by DAB

Plastic moulding is a fairly cost effective method of producing components. Especially given some of the properties that plastics offer over metals, such as better thermal properties in a wider range of conditions or the lighter weight that some polymers offer thanks to lower densities whilst maintaining an equivilant strength and toughness. Or the fact that plastics don't require an additional surface finish like most metallic substances do as a protective coating.

It makes sense, and Maguras are amazingly well priced to say the least.

Magura do piss me off on one thing though, shitty parts. The bolts on these things are so f**king weak, the hoses fold once and crack, the cylinders get stuck, the TPA's f**k up and then they charge you a fortune to get your brake working how it should for another 4-5 months.

Its safe to say, with my previous customer service experience with them is that they couldnt give a toss about trials riders, you may aswell destroy any proof of purchase or warrenty papers up as soon as your brakes hit the letterbox.

Water bleed instead of a 25 quid bottle of normal oil? VOID

Different pads other than the maguras own? VOID

Heavy abuse? VOID

Not fitted/repaired by a magura approved mechanic? VOID

Trials riders break all of the above, I'd love it if magura got their arse into gear and made something FOR the trials riders, a heavy duty caliper, heavy duty TPA, more modulation, a braided hose as standard...I'd buy it for a few extra quid, I'd be quite happy to spend 150 quid or so on it if I knew it could withstand trials riding AND if it did bugger up, I'd get my parts replaced with no hassle.

I can't see how the magura 05 brake lever can be worth £40 it's not that magic is it? Is there a proper reason that these things so expensive? or are magura just being areswipes for gigles? :shifty:

they are worth the money, imagine if we had to use a really shit cable brake, oh , they are £29.99 on chainreactioncyles i think,

I can't see how the magura 05 brake lever can be worth £40 it's not that magic is it? Is there a proper reason that these things so expensive? or are magura just being areswipes for gigles? :shifty:

do you have a job, because thats proarly why you think there exspensive because you have no money in.

they are worth the money, imagine if we had to use a really shit cable vee brake, oh ,

p.s. when my cousin did trials 5 years ago i remember him telling me he paid summert like £120 for just a rear, i think he dean any way.

:rolleyes: