Single Speed Chain Tensioner

Russertron

Heard only good reviews of the Fresh Products tensioner, and I'm running a DMR STS which I've never had a problem with (running one on jump bike too, again problem free)

Few others about too, but if I were to need another I'd go for one of those

That DaBomb one is basically a rip of the STS, may need a little persuasion with an angle grinder as my brother's did (was the same but without any branding, think it's about a tenner from Woolly Hat Shop; www.woollyhatshop.co.uk if I remember correctly)

Edited by rideside

Heard only good reviews of the Fresh Products tensioner, and I'm running a DMR STS which I've never had a problem with (running one on jump bike too, again problem free)

I'm with him, I'm running a STS and have no problems with it at all. Runs smooth, silent, dosen't loose tension. S'all good :)

Surly Singleator anyone?

IPB Image

speaking of tensioners, does anybody know of a dmr style roller, that is wide enough for a KHE collapse chain ?

i ran a SRAM 1/8" x 1/2" chain through my STS and it bedded itself in within a few rides - no need to file anything and it was snug

Hey im looking at running my bike single speed and need a tensioner. Any one know of the best ones to get?

:D

Im running it on a revell frame, KMC chain.

you have a revell yeh? whats up with horizontal dropouts, can you not get good chain tension?

Ive had to move the wheel back to its limits to fit in my new wheel and tire.... hense no adjustment left to tighten chain. The Rohloff looks good but will it work on the revells dropouts? I brought a Powerplay tensioner from wiggle.co.uk but its total bum. The spring doesnt work so theres no tension!

Edited by Revell_Russell

yes you can do that, i am doing it on mine as i have a KMC XX extreme chain, it doesnt fit in any drailleier so i had to bend the cages OUT. then i snapped my mech hanger, so im running the DMR by holding on by skewer :- took out the jockey wheel and stakked it with washers, sorted.

But today i found a plastic style roller on the floor, its wide enough for my chain so im gonna do a home job on it.

Hey SEXY Seany baby,

i got some chain tugs for my python but they don't fit <_< , it's because of these silly new mod frames.

They're brand new unbranded ones, bought them for a £4, so you can have them for that if you want. they look just like these http://82.110.105.16/tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=169 .

You also know the SURLY tensioner i had, i still have that, just needs a new spring. PM me if you need any.

Love you RUSSATRON

Neil :nerd:

Heard only good reviews of the Fresh Products tensioner...

The Fresh Products Tensioner is the WORST tensioner i have ever used. It has severe lack of adjustability and doesnt stay tight. How can you not of heard a bad review about them? I have yet to hear a good review cos they are the worst designed tensioners ever.

Anyway it matters not because the production was ceased a bit ago - probably cos they were so shit.

The only tensioner that actually tensions is the rolhoff one, although i don't know about the drop outs on ur bike...

• 1 year later...

I'm loving the way pretty much everyone gives a different answer! I'm guessing that will make it really easy to decide...

Anyway, Surly Singleator worked fine for me, used it for about 3 years, hit it a few times and only had to replace the spring once.