Mopeds/scooters

Ben Geary

Well .... Basically I think i'll be getting a Moped when i turn 16 witch is quite away still but i might get one early, Basically i don't really know witch one to go for. I want one whats reliable, fast, and handles well. I'm not a newbie to motocycles or anything like that, i've been on shit loads of Motocross bikes it's just i don't want go and buy a shit moped whats going to be breaking on me like every month or so. Can anyone point me in the direction for decent one's. I've been on a few Yamaha Aerox's and i like'd the feel of them but like i said i mainly want is reliability, speed, and handling.

I'm not looking to spend masses of money and i'll most likely be buying one second hand of Ebay or what ever.

Anyone care to point be in the direction ?

Thanks,

Ben.

i just got a Honda Sky its a total shitter but for £180 BARGIN! its a great little runner never faulted pinks up to 30mph nicley... handles well old school design not chavvy... fun - i wouldnt look for much more in a scooter - ill just run it for a year then get a 125 and take my 50 an use it as a lil park bike for me an mates

Well since there is no such thing as a fast or good handling moped, that leaves reliable. So just go for something fairly cheap thats not gonna have lost a shitload of value by the time you get a car (Y) Look at the older ones like honda, rather than the 'fast plastic' style ones today.

Get an Aprilia Sonic GP. There rad little bikes, 'bout grand and a half new though.

link

I'm getting one in a couple of week's. Being Aprilia it wont fall to bit's aswel, my mate's goes about 55-60 mph (de-restriced) and has pretty good acceleration. Its been ridden off a 5 foot wall and still run's fine :rolleyes:

IPB Image

Peds are shite though :P

That last line summed it up well, however........

Stick with a decent make like yam, aprillia, honda etc etc, DO NOT go near any lidals brand scootay, it WILL be shit, it will be slower than a normal ped, which is quite frankly backwards, it WILL fall apart.

Cheap and cheerful it will be, for 10 minutes.

Steer clear of NRGs too!

One last tip, DO NOT buy one brand new. I made that mistake and have regretted it ever since, then again not in someways but it was a lot of money for a posh snail. (Y)

As has been said before, go for a well known brand but don't spend more than £500. For a vehicle that you'll likely only have for less than a year, it's a hell of a lot of money to go wasting, especially as you won't get the full price you paid back when you sell the bike.

I bought a Honda C50LA (google images it) for £50 which needed a bit of restoration, and so far i've spent £20 on an MOT (fail) and £75 for parts for it, which i've almost finished fitting. Once those parts are on it, it'll pass the MOT for another £20 and then i'd have got myself a decent working moped for £165 in total...

Don't forget to take into account buying a good helmet, jacket, gloves and a nice thick pair of jeans for when you go out.

Insurance at 16 is f**king stupidly expensive, so make sure you've got a fair amount of money to waste (approximately £250 for a year on 3rd Party, Fire & Theft). Try Bennetts for a decent price.

Taking your CBT test will cost you £70-£120 depending on variables. When you arrange your CBT test, make sure you use their bike otherwise you'll have to insure yourself on your bike for a month, which when applied for without a valid CBT certificate will be even more ridiculous than insurance at 16 anyway. It'll cost you about £20 extra on the base price of the CBT test to use their bike, which is a lot less than you'll pay if you insure your bike for one month without a pass certificate.

I hope my rant helps :)

i have also bin looking into buying a moped/bike... but i am looking for something different, i've bin looking perticularyly at the gilera gsm supermoto, but have not bought one as in all honesty, i know hardly anything about them, how do these bikes or similair compare to mopeds in handling, reliability, top speed and acceleration?

edit: i know they are more than often more expensive than mopeds, but i am not buying brand new

Edited by JoNnY__Mc

I know you think you don't care, but you do.

Don't buy a moped. Unless you the thought of a car makes you die a little inside, its not worth it.

You'll have the moped for a year, then you'll very much wish you hadn't of spent the money you did, when you could know be affording 20+ driving lessons, your theory and possibly final test.

Seriously, mopeds aren't worth it unless you are very, very much against cars and can only see yourself progressing onto bigger bikes, and not wanting a car after the first year of driving a moped.

Well, i have had mopeds for years. So im not bad at this kinda stuff.

The old, yamaha jog. i paid 75 quid for mine, CDI derestricted, would still wheel spin with 3 people on it. Abosolute nuts. mine was raced round a quarry for about a year and a half. Doing drops and dirt jumping and stuff. I fell of atleast twice a night. Handles like a dream and super quick, Starts first time everytime weather its cold or hot.

Next, Suzuki AP50, this are nuts, you can hit a 90 degree corner at 35mph, and still get round it. fairly quick of the mark and not a bad restricted top speed. These are pretty difficult to derestrict. its not restricted in the usual places, Exhaust etc.

Honda bali, my first moped. These are big, and really quite nippy. good thing is, the 50 and the 125 version engine mounts are exactly the same, so you can swap them over.

honda c50 automatic, The most fun thing ever to ride. The speed of a geared bike, without the hassle of gears. proper nippy of the line. stock tires, grip anything. tarmac and dirt/gravel.

My friend has a aprillia sr50. Yes i ment to typer sr. This is the moped version of the rs50. proper nippy and will beat a rs50 of the line. handles well to. Been crashed many times, and it still works, cant moan at that.

need anymore info of anything, PM me.

Edited by radical rider

i got my bike on the road today it's a gilera gsm supermotard 50cc its wicked it looks lush and i got 53mph out of it but my borther was following and said it was 55mph but i duobt you could get it perfect and its still restricted and there really fun in the wet because they powerslide and wheelspin

heres a piccy

[attachmentid=5819]

post-7751-1152222049_thumb.jpg

Edited by granty

• 2 weeks later...

well i got mine second hand and the only problem i have found wih it is that every now and again it pops out of gear but not that often when i got it it was restricted and did 50mph on flat after i had warmed up (bout 15 mins of riding) and 55mph down a hill but that was raggin the tits off it but now i have got it de restricted and i have hadf 62mph out of her but it is great fun off roadin lol

• 6 months later...
yeah quite easily, an 02/03 model usually goes for around £500 here

Wow £500 is that a hard price to buy it at or are they selling all the time? I only want to know this as that would defonatly be a bike i would want. Dose anyone know if there good for petrol and cheap to fill (like peds)

Cherrs, Rorz!

Edited by RR_Trials

fuel will never be a problem but they will use a little more than a ped

I have heared that to fill a ped its around 6quid are we talking around 10 for one of these? sorry for all the questions but you seem like you know quite a bit and i'd like to know a thing or two.

Cheers!

hehe don't really know that much

they will have about an 8 litre tank i think so it'll cost about 7-8 quid

but you will be able to save fuel to buy keeping the revs low

i lied it's got 13l tank so about 12 quid to fill

Edited by Gavyn L

I have heared that to fill a ped its around 6quid are we talking around 10 for one of these? sorry for all the questions but you seem like you know quite a bit and i'd like to know a thing or two.

Cheers!

i wouldnt be looking at how much it costs to fill. its how far that tank will get you for the cost. having a small tank doesnt make a bike cheaper to run, it just makes you visit the pumps more often.