What Did Everyone Have For A First Car And How Much Was It To Insure?

planet x alan

Peugeot 106 Zest 3 Diesel 1.6litre (still got it, only started driving a year ago)

£900 fully comp, got years no claims now but also got an SP30 so it's still roughly £900, DOH!

Unless you get one of these that gives named drivers a no claims after a year I'd get fully comp on your own insurance but stick your parents on as named drivers, will bring the cost down!

Davey

Edited by Small_Gear_Big_Style

You went TPFT and paid £1400 :o

I'd have told them where they could stick that!

As far as i can remember, i don't think it was fully comp for my first year.

I know its a complete blag but that's the way it is. If anyone says different they are lying. For a 17 year old to have their own policy it's not gonna be the good side of £1200.

I guess that's why everyone goes on their mums insurance first time out, but that wasn't an option for me. Plus i wanna be able to say i've got no claims from when i first started to drive.

Oh and that was cheap. Both Tesco and Direct line were £1400, everywhere else was quoting £1800+.

You went TPFT and paid £1400 :o

I'd have told them where they could stick that!

I wouldnt! My golf (mk2, 1.6 driver) has cost me at 19, as a new driver, no experience, no no claims, 1250 TPFT, lowest theft risk area too! should see it go down next year, but unsure of how much due to mods. Insurance is a bitch.

I wouldnt! My golf (mk2, 1.6 driver) has cost me at 19, as a new driver, no experience, no no claims, 1250 TPFT, lowest theft risk area too! should see it go down next year, but unsure of how much due to mods. Insurance is a bitch.

Wow, I just got the same car this morn. with liverpoolvictoria they quoted me £900 bang on when I hit 19, only TPFT that is. same posistion as you.

I guess that's why everyone goes on their mums insurance first time out, but that wasn't an option for me. Plus i wanna be able to say i've got no claims from when i first started to drive.

I went on my Mum's insurance when I first past - I think it was about £600 extra on top of her £200/year (R reg Polo 1.6). I had that for 4 years, and now (when I'm 22) I have the same car in my own name for £600 ish, fully comp. This is the first policy in my name, so technically I have no NCB so far, but they counted it as 4 years no claims, which is nice :D

So I know everyone says to get your own insurance and start earning NCB, but if you've got nice parents who are willing to insure you, it'll probably work out cheaper :)

£360 for my Van.. My own policy but only third party fire and theft.

In a couple months when I have to renew it I'm going fully comp which probably won't cost a great deal more. Since I'll have a one year no claims.

I use a private broker for my insurance anyway, so they hunt out the best deals for me, no woes.

'94 Audi 80 Avant (group 12) on parents insurance, came to £1100 for myself, mum and dad fully comp, and I'll get my own NCB out of it at the end.

That was first year when i was 17. Not sure how much it'll come down by for my second year as I havn't been driving a year yet :)

1983' Mk1 golf Gti 1.8i @ 18yrs old, cost me £1100 fully comp on my own. was on a limited mileage of 6k a year with excess of £750

that was pretty cheap compared to my third car - Audi A4 2.8 v6 quattro @ 21 yrs old.....£2200 fully comp. :huh:

1994 1.7turbo diesal vauxhall cavalier hatchback, on my dads insurance its 200quid altogther :) and 20quid extra for 6 months insurance on my mums 1.9tdi peugeout 405 :) all 3rd party though, fully comp isnt much more, but not really worth it with those cars, cant wait to get insured on whatever new car they get :)

Finally after 5 years of driving my mums car, i've got my own car.

54 plate 1.4 corsa £780 a year fully comp, no no claims, but multiple car in house discount which is probably offset by the 15K a year milage ive declared. Being 23 did help i feel, although its more the fact ive been driving 5 years that meant it wasnt over a grand (I live in London, so get battered usually).

Interesting fact for you to ponder, my insurance was going to be more with either/both my parents on the policy, so that doesnt always get you a discount.

My advice to all would be to pass your test as early as poss so when you come to get your own insurance for the first time youve had the maximum amount of time driving as possible.