Gear Ratio's

Bigman

Right, i was just wondering what the tendancy these days are for gear ratios, i have been riding 20-18 for a while and found it real nice for natural and static moves eg: sidehops and gaps, but i found that i could not seem to pedal up/tap as well as i used to. No i have gone back to 20-17 and it feels REALY hard i know it will take a little time to get used to it and i am hoping it wil help with stuff like taps etc as i used to run 20-17 all the time.

Basicaly what i was asking is what sort of ratios i ervybody out there running, and what sort of riding do you do. idealy i recon a gear right in between 20-18 and 20-17 would be asome but i don't want to have to go down to 16-14 (which is pretty central) as i feel i may snap chains.

Thanks

Adam

gears are a real personal thing though, i mean i cant ride with anything other than 18:17 or alike, thats pretty easy obviously, where as other riders couldnt get on with a gear that easy.

most riders use 18 or smaller cogs up front now and most people use the norm, 16:14, 18:16.

easier gears make your bike feel lighter and more flickable in my opinion, but i think your right about harder gears being better for tapping, uping in general, although it does come down to getting the right technique at the end of the day.

i think vincent, kenny, giaco use 18:17, thats what i have heard anyways and they dont have problems with upping:p

best off getting a load of old cogs and trying different ratios.

yeh, i see what you mean James, i think i do get on better with the slightly easier gear, i think i shall put it back on and just get to work on my technique more!

After having all summer out of riding pretty much it is a b*****d to get techniques back......

Adam

18-12 :o thats like road racing worthy, thats well hard... pfft, i used to run 18-16 on a GU with 170mm cranks, that felt just right, but now due to burns im running 16-14 nd 175mm crankswhich i think is the nicest setup for a 16 tooth up front but the 18-16 just felt right in a way... :- id say 18-16 is deffo the nicest (Y)

i run 22-19 on my toxsin and it is beasting, it is lighter than some use but i think it really encourages you to put more effort in with gaps etc.

to be honest though it's what I feel comfortable with, as other have said, get an old cassette and experiment with a few ratios then see which one feels best for you :)

I ran 20-19 for ages

And you were surprised I run 18:18 :blink:

To be fair, I think it depends on how you want to ride. If you're going big, 18:16 or 18:15 would be perfect. On the other hand, a very light gear ratio near 1:1 is mint for natural and static stuff but no good when it comes to gaps, hooks and high taps. I love my ratio, it's made me move my body much more and improved my riding considerably. Recently realized I can't tap higher than 48" because I've got no speed - I get the right amount of air but just fall backwards. If you ride for fun and couldn't care less about how big you go, I advise you ride something near 18:18, otherwise get 18:16

my 2 cents.

When i got my holroyd i got 18:12 on it as standard. Now the harder gear allowed me to get loads of speed and ride fairly streety, but the bike felt like a ton weight! I then went to 18:13 and it instantly felt better, still loads of power, but the bike felt ten times lighter. Now im running 18:16, and im going bigger on every thing, gaps, side hops, pedal ups, bunny hops. Everything just got that slightly easier, and much nicer. Wouldn't recommend any other ratio at all. It is actually perfect.... altho took me a few rides to get used to it.

And you were surprised I run 18:18 :blink:

To be fair, I think it depends on how you want to ride. If you're going big, 18:16 or 18:15 would be perfect. On the other hand, a very light gear ratio near 1:1 is mint for natural and static stuff but no good when it comes to gaps, hooks and high taps. I love my ratio, it's made me move my body much more and improved my riding considerably. Recently realized I can't tap higher than 48" because I've got no speed - I get the right amount of air but just fall backwards. If you ride for fun and couldn't care less about how big you go, I advise you ride something near 18:18, otherwise get 18:16

I concur.