Piercings

Dr. Nick Riviera

Looking to get the back of my neck done tomorrow, does anyone have any experience with surface piercings?

An old girlfriend of mine had her nape pierced, was with her when she had it done for the second time. They did the apple core method where they apple core 2 holes into the neck and then seprate the layers of skin between the holes where the bar will go, she nearly fell asleep during it and said it was super relaxing. Didn't have any probems with it, just make sure its kept clean with salt washes and make sure both the balls on the end of the bar are kept tight especially before sleeping (or bed related activities!) as you dont want them falling out and the bar moving and getting stuck during the night! Shall be getting mine done after I save up enough money!

Might as well give mine a showing as well, self pierced lobes both now stretched to 10mm. 2 helix's although dont wear anything in them at the moment one on each ear

team genital piercing hooo.

Also part of this group as well with no complaints self pierced! ;)

got a surface piercing on my love length.. been rocking that for well over a year, no complaints, team genital piercing hooo.

Haaa :P

Well thats good to hear! I've read alot about them rejecting but from what i gather thats only when they're either done incorrectly or the wrong type of jewelery is put in them.

Self pierced :o ?! Thats crazy haha, i wouldn't have the balls to have it done professionally, never mind Diy :P

They can be quite likely to reject, just have to be really carefull with them and make sure they are done pretty deep from what I know anyway, just have a good chat with your piercer about it. Keep em clean and don't treat em mean!

Thorough research and the correct tools top trumped wanting someone else to do it...

Edited by stephenpoll_41

Weeey a piercing thread! :D How did I miss this!

I have a few. Lobes 16mm. Both tragus, pinna, rook. Labret, vertical labret and apadravya. Thats a puny list these days, I had to get rid of a few when I got a proper job :P

Looking to get the back of my neck done tomorrow, does anyone have any experience with surface piercings?

Also considering dermal anchors, any info on that would be good toooooo :)

I've had a few surface piercings now, and I tested some of the first dermal anchors that were available in the UK. If you take care of them they will be fine (presuming your piercer is good, a bad initial surface piercing can never be expected to heal), but most folk seem to think the aftercare stops at the point you think it's healed. With surface piercings it's an ongoing process, and when you stop, they tend to go bad. Also noone ever tells you these things have a lifespan, and it isn't particularly long. If you go for something like the nape, make sure it's a really good piercer that does it, and remember it's a lot of work keeping that kind of piercing in good shape. I found that one proper knock, for example, falling off your bike.....was enough to set it on the out and out.

Dermals are much better now than when I got most of mine. I tested the early versions of the new wave of microdermals about two or three years ago now, they were very similar to the old dermal anchors that were quite large and didn't have the holes for your skin to grow through, they just sort of sat in a pocket under the skin. Other than a point in time when I was seriously ill (and anyone with multiple piercings will know, when you get propper sick, your piercings all go to shit) and they became quite inflamed, I've had no problems. I've, in the last month, had all of my microdermals removed, they were all in high impact areas, and riding as heavily as I am now again has meant they aren't really appropriate any more. But I have no regrets at all about those (as apposed to other surface piercings I've had which left much more unsightly scars).

I think once you've been through all the wierd and wonderful piercings, experimented with sub dermal implants and whatnot, you'll see that other than ur basic decorative ones like ears and lip which are pretty much the lowest maintenance possible, the only piercings worth having are the ones with a function, like genitals. But deffo go experiment, thats what it's all about after all. Good luck with the surface piercing dude.

Taking pictures of your own ear is harder than first expected. Sorry about shitty, huge, noisy pics.

ear005.jpg

scaffold, 6mm tunnel, 20mm tunnel

ear004.jpg

Rook, 6mm tunnel, 20mm tunnel, that red scar by my ear is where my vertical tragus rejected.

ear003.jpg

My sexy lips

ear002.jpg

Horizontal eyebrow, my favourite piercing I have probably cos I've never seen anyone else with one, rather snazzy.

:o i want the horizontal eyebrow done i have the regular one done and the top of my ear but i really want that done do you think you could get them both done in one eyebrow? crossing each other?

Sorry to keep dragging this thread up but I'm becoming obsessed haha.

I was advised against a surface piercing and told that dermals were probably a better option, went with that in the end and it was pretty painless. Be getting a couple more soon i thinkkkk.

Tongue piercing question; Would i get away with a normal length bar, with some tiny little balls on it? They're the kind of size you'd find on labret bars and stuff....

Also thinking about getting my tongue done again but seeing as i've got mine done right in the centre, it'd look odd if i had it done again on the right/left hand side so i'm just wondering if you can have it done again in the middle, in front or behind where the 'normal' place to have it done is?

Last question (A) Any one had micro dermals/Skin drivers behind there ear?

If i stretch to an 8mm tunnel what are the chances of the hole fully closing, i've heard lots of different sizes, from 6 - 12 being the biggest. Any one got a proper idea?

I stretched the piercing next to my 16mm tunnel to 8mm, then decided I didn't like it, it's shrunk back down to a regular 1.6 guage ring now, and it really didn't take long at all! :)

Doubt it'd ever close completely though, I first had my ear pierced when I was 13, took it out til I was 18 and didn't have to re-pierce it to start stretching..

Everyones different, my girlfriends mate stretched to 6mm and still cant wear normal earings after like 2 years, so the OH IF U GO TO 8MM YOU WONT EVEN NOTICE ONCE IT HEALS rule is aload of bull shit, I also know a lad who had 20mm and now he just has a tiney hole, maybe 2-3mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided i want to pierce my Cartilage on my ear.

And as im not going to pay someone to shoot me in the ear with a gun. Im doing it myself.

Basically need some basic info here;

1) Anything around that area which i could hit with the needle which will be bad(Veins etc etc)?

2) Been told if you do it in the wrong place your ear basically collapses, True?

3) Anything else that may lead to this being annoying/irritating/my ear falling off the side of my head?

Edited by Echo-Scott

I''d advise against doing it your self, it's just so much less hassle to pay to have it done. I don't think it's done with a gun either, mine was done with a needle.

It's normally pretty cheap too, £20 maybe?

Just my opinion..

I would get it done professionally. But im to skint just now to get it done.

All my spare moneys going towards getting my tongue done sometime next week >_<

I would get it done professionally. But im to skint just now to get it done.

All my spare moneys going towards getting my tongue done sometime next week >_<

i was in the exact same position. Trust me, wait. you dont want to f*ck around with cartilage. I got my ex to pierce it for me with a sewing needle and obviously it's not a proper piercing needle (hollow) so it's basically just creating a hole and stretching the cartilage. It was painful to sleep on and it took like 4 months to heal. (normally they take around a couple months, give or take). Still hurts to sleep on but I'm too stubborn to take it out, i look weird without any of my piercings :mellow:

But seriously, get it done professionally, it's gonna be worth it in the long run. Don't be a tit like me.

• 3 weeks later...