Coaster Sprocket On Trials Bikes

steve@banbury-trials

im just wondering if anyone has ever run a coaster sprocket on a trials bike?for those who don't know what one is it's a sprocket that allows you to ride backward without pedaling (i was told this by a bmxer)

if so what are you thoughts on them ,also were did you get it from?

any help appreciated,steve

dont know how theyd react to the forces of trials, seen plenty of streety trials riders(u.s style, short travel forks , 22t + bash) run a device which allows this, basically theyd run an altered cassette, with say 22t-14,13,12 missing and replaced by metal spacers, and just shift into this gear. does mean you cant pedal forwards when in this ratio either though, but allows you to land fakie nice and easy.

but would be interested in people opinions as to whether a coaster hub would work in trials, would need a vastly altered riding style from most of us though i should imagine.couldnt really hold the bike on the pedals no more, would have to use the brake all the time.

Just takes a bit of use to, to do rollbacks without using the pedals. But I personaly think a proper freehub is better for fakie tricks (especially "cab" style tricks) because it allows somewhat to modulate things because the brakes on a trial bike have a tendency of being on or off... I should try a fakie trials line some time, it would be frikin' hillarious !

it's not a coaster sprocket, it's a freecoaster hub you're thinking about

a freecoaster has a clutch that locks against the hubshell when you pedal forward, but then you begin to roll, it disengages and enable you to roll backwards without backpedaling

www.free-coaster.com or something like that.

I have upon my harddisk somewhere a U.K video of a group ride wherein a rider on a yellow "Hawyes" Giant frame seems to have one , and rolls backwards pretty much down a whole street without needing to backpedal . Seems pretty useful , but then I find I can roll fakie just fine by bacpedalling aswell .

Come to think of it , that video was pretty f**kin' awesome , was set to Green day's "Long view ." Any ideas / links ?

I have upon my harddisk somewhere a U.K video of a group ride wherein a rider on a yellow "Hawyes" Giant frame seems to have one , and rolls backwards pretty much down a whole street without needing to backpedal . Seems pretty useful , but then I find I can roll fakie just fine by bacpedalling aswell .

Come to think of it , that video was pretty f**kin' awesome , was set to Green day's "Long view ." Any ideas / links ?

LOL

That was made by adam read, and the vid was called " randomness "

and i think ull find, the guy on the hawyes...he didnt have a freecoaster hub, but infact he had snapped his chain :P:)

Does there exist some good freecoaster hubs? I want one :)

unfortuanely all the good ones have tiny 11T max (maybe 12T) drivers like the KHE Giesha and Odyessy one, so it would be hard toget a good trials gear! plus the engagement feels totally different to a standard hub!

would be fun though :turned:

I think they work on inertia, i.e. if you give the pedals a good jab then they engage. But if you just pedal lightly you get no engagement. So they'd be pretty wank for trials. Unless someone comes up with another mechanism. I did think it would be cool to try one though.

I think they work on inertia, i.e. if you give the pedals a good jab then they engage. But if you just pedal lightly you get no engagement. So they'd be pretty wank for trials. Unless someone comes up with another mechanism. I did think it would be cool to try one though.

Baaaaaaaasically, the driver moves up and down the threaded axle, and it meshes with the hub body. Basically, it's like a clutch action. You control the amount of slack that means how much you can move the pedals whilst going fakie without it re-engaging, but that's about it. You can't use them for trials. When you preload and bring the pedals back, all you do is dis-engage the hub, which isn't what you'd consider ideal for trials :P

There are some freecoasters about known as SYM hubs. They have a lifetime guarantee and are supposed to be different to normal freecoasters in the way they lock up correctly. However if you were to consider buying on you probably wouldn't want to after seeing the price.

Anyhow why would you want a freecoster on a trials bike?

Heres a thread about freecoasters.

Edited by eskimo