Human Powered Offroad Vehicle.

Bigman

Right as part of the 2nd year of my Offroad Vehicle Design degree one of our group projects is to design and build ahuman powered offroad vehicle (no bikes allowed!) Over the past 2 days ish i ahve spent around 17hrs on solidworks to complete the 2nd milestone of the project, this was to produce a full 3d working model of the chosen design for the vehicle. The model had to consist of a high detail model of each component which has to be made by ourselves, items such as cranks, brakes etc only had to be modeled to a basic level, but i got abit carried away. (see brake and rear chainring)

Out of the 17hrs, 10hrs was spent modelling each seperate component and then assembling them around the chassis, one of our group members had to leave for something and i basicaly had to completely re-model all his stuff, i also had to completely alter the chassis i was given to work with my drive train.

The last 7hrs was spent creating the 2d drawings for each of the components, this made today a VERY long day, along with having to throw together some calculations and research to also hand in, In total there was 30ish 2d drawings, and a following 30pages for the related report......

The products of my labour (missing a few bits as i left them on my space at college), the steering works (i was up to gone midnight last night getting it to!), everything turns like you would expect it to :)

New pics, here are some of the full built vehicle, we passed scrutineering meaning we can now start the competition on thursday!

The bike with me driving whilst conducting the drawbar pull test:

post-84-1178043256_thumb.jpg

And when weight testing to see if the bike was within regulation weight, came in at 49kg which is very light compared to some of the other vehicles :)

post-84-1178043313_thumb.jpg

Competition day on thursday, there will be a vid to follow!!

Enjoy.

Adam

Very impressive stuff. Can tell alot of work has gone into it.

To be a little pedantic though... the disc and caliper are mounted incorrectly. :turned:

I know the disc is on the wrong way around, but when we do the brake test on eht vehicle it is holding it on an upslope, and hence the disc rotor would be better in that direction, and the caliper is mounted like that as it was the only way it could get it to fit correctly so that it would work with my chassis design.......

RR-trials: The brake is still only a VERY basic model, it has no pistons etc, if i wanted/had the time i could easily create one with all the working components, all to scale too :)

Adam

Whats the brief for this biggus? Im intrigued.

It seems like 4 wheels is a lot of complication and effort, 3 would have been easier, and eliminates articulation issues on rough ground. What size wheels are they meant to be? surely 20" wheels would make the whole thing stable and maybe stronger.

Id love more info on this, you told me a little about it but didnt realsie you were this far along already.

Whats the brief for this biggus? Im intrigued.

It seems like 4 wheels is a lot of complication and effort, 3 would have been easier, and eliminates articulation issues on rough ground. What size wheels are they meant to be? surely 20" wheels would make the whole thing stable and maybe stronger.

Id love more info on this, you told me a little about it but didnt realsie you were this far along already.

Um, basicaly you can build anything to get across a set course, it has to pass some scrutineering where it has a climb a slope of 15degrees and stop/hold on the slope, then decend a 20degree slope and also stop/hold (hence having the vee mounts on the forks rear facing), it must have a turning radius of 3m maximum, and it must be human powered. If wanted you can try the extreme test where an up slope of 35 degrees and a downslope of 40 degrees. Once the vehicle has passed the scrutineering the vehicle wil be put into a timed race around a set track on the colleges offroad course at college, this consists of one rider riding across the set course, then 2 team members carrying the vehicle back to the start (around 50m) and the the last team member riding back across the set course, winner is in the fastest time etc, top vehicles will be taken to the Royal Show (agricultural) The vehicle can have any number of wheels apart from 2 (so no bikes) 3 wheels would be simple but we get slightly better marks if we are more inventive, also things like making the forks instead of sourcing them from scrap bikes etc scores extra marks. We get a budget of £200 to buy parts like cassettes, wheels, cranks etc. and things like steel, chain and cables are free from the college stocks :)

Um, that is it basicaly, can't think of much at the moment.

Adam

bigman u seen the off road / on road / in water- tricycle, i made ????

iv got pics if you want

nice cad

iolo.

I do! Have you still got it? As i want to have a go!!!!!! :D :D

Very nice work bigman, especialy on the rotors, nice intricate detail (Y)

the things i found most difficult in my build were.

chain clearing the seat.(i used 1 chain on a 6spd cassete onto a shaft drive to the centre

under the seat edge then a second chain with tensioner to the cranks.

rear differential. this is tricky,

i just went for 1 wheel drive with a free wheel on one side.

but if yours is more specific to offroad, then u gotta have 2 wheel drive.

so i was thinking if i did it again, chain drive to a shaft, then 2 freewheels ont he ends of the shaft chain drive to fixed sprokets ont he rear wheels.

u actually making this bigman ?

or just designing ?

iv been thinking of making something non floating very similar to your idea for a while.

with some very very easy gears int here too for hill climbs.

wud be ace !

i like the steering idea you have. u rekon it will be good for when you wiggle as you put the power down ??

iolo.

the things i found most difficult in my build were.

chain clearing the seat.(i used 1 chain on a 6spd cassete onto a shaft drive to the centre

under the seat edge then a second chain with tensioner to the cranks.

rear differential. this is tricky,

i just went for 1 wheel drive with a free wheel on one side.

but if yours is more specific to offroad, then u gotta have 2 wheel drive.

so i was thinking if i did it again, chain drive to a shaft, then 2 freewheels ont he ends of the shaft chain drive to fixed sprokets ont he rear wheels.

u actually making this bigman ?

or just designing ?

i like the steering idea you have. u rekon it will be good for when you wiggle as you put the power down ??

iolo.

I steered clear of the idea of a diff, seeing what the terrain is like which we will be traveling on (mud, grass, up, down and cross slopes) i felt a solid rear axle would be fine.

I also thought of the idea of using a shaft with 2 freewheels then a chain to each wheel form each of th efreewheels, but you have to remember using that process would mean that unless you were in a straight like only one wheel would be driven, and that would always be the slowest wheel (inner wheel when turning a corner....)

I also had problems with the chain clearing the seat, and i will have to add in some bits to hold the seat up higher in the final build, this was not neccesary with this milestone as the seat is something we will not be making it didn';t have to modeled overly well (although Guy got carried away)

And yes, we are most deffiantly be making this! (read a couple of posts above, it explains the whole project things)

Adam

Im kinda doing the same thing for my HND except i've been given a college year to make a crank arm! 17 hours to do the lot of that would have been intensive, to say the least.

I guess it's a group project your doing? Surley all the faffing around modifying the chassis to work with your drive chain could have been eliminated by agreeing on a few thing's before starting out? saving time on the long run, I guess it would be a good idea to include that in the final presentation or whatever you do, to show that you have learned about organising etc.

Making those drawings is such a pain in the arse too, you'd think it'd be easy because they basically do it all for you, but christ there is so much shite you can do it's hard to decide what works sometimes.

but yeh, good work! what course are you doing?

I basicaly did all the modelling as other people were busy with paperwork parts of the project, and within the group i am the most proficient in using solidworks.

My course title is, BEng (hons) Offroad Vehicle Deisgn, Bascialy engineering but with modules such as vehicle technology, offroad vehicle design etc. In my first year we used to spend 4-6 hours a week either driving or taking apart/re-assembling tractors, landrovers, tanks etc it was loads of fun. This year (2nd) has not be so much practicle but alot more maths :( although we did recently break the steering on a Tactica (google it) armoured vehicle, lets say that the college people were not happy :P

Adam

I basicaly did all the modelling as other people were busy with paperwork parts of the project, and within the group i am the most proficient in using solidworks.

My course title is, BEng (hons) Offroad Vehicle Deisgn, Bascialy engineering but with modules such as vehicle technology, offroad vehicle design etc. This year (2nd) has not be so much practicle but alot more maths :(

Its an engineering degree biggus! There will be a lot of maths (or at least should be). Im on a proer mechanical engineering degree, and this morning i had 2 hours of thermodynamics (basically maths applied to gasses and fluids) and an hour of maths. Abotu to go back in for 2 hours of electronics, again a lot fo maths, but applied to electrical stuff!

Bit gay that i suck at maths :P

Looks pretty cool, I wish I got to do things like that in my degree :P

Are you sure it's not going to tip backwards going uphill? Maybe you need to counterweight the front end.

Nice looking model there.

Be sure to check where the Centre of gravity is during ascent so you don't loop out. Is that solitary beam between front and rear sufficient for the loads on it?

Steve

I am pretty sure that there will be no problems with tipping backwards (hopefully) we can move the seat forward etc when it comes to production. I don't have to worry as i will not be driving it on the competition :)

And the single beam will be strong enough, we have done the relevent equations (needed for this milestone)

Adam

I was expecting something more along these lines......

wheel.sp.gif

anyways, looks like an interesting project! we had something like that on our projects list. but and a mate are doing monoshock suspension for the formula student car. nearly shot myself when i saw what it actually entails! ah well. get us some progress pics of the build!

smithy

• 2 months later...