Hydro Gyro

F-Stop Junkie

Chris Smith has been running his trouble free for years. No more worrying about stacking your bike from a drop, and helplessly watching your bars spin out of control and rip your hose out (regardless how long you run your cable). as for progression of trials trickery, triple tailwhip drops would be possible, someone on a 20in mod can now consider attempting a gapjump tailwhip, or bunnyhop tailwhip. sidehop barspin, pinky squeakers, if you dont mind mixing some flatland to trials. Or how about doing Decade trials drop (for those of you whom know of the decade, aka vertical boomerang, from flatland bmx). love the idea or hate it, someone will eventually bring these tricks and more to trials mainstream, in the same way Chris Akrigg, and Eddie Tongue, brought flowy bmx style to the traditional hoppy style. its gonna happen, its just a matter of time. (Y)

Edited by Rusevelt

Chris Smith has been running his trouble free for years. No more worrying about stacking your bike from a drop, and helplessly watching your bars spin out of control and rip your hose out (regardless how long you run your cable). as for progression of trials trickery, triple tailwhip drops would be possible, someone on a 20in mod can now consider attempting a gapjump tailwhip, or bunnyhop tailwhip. sidehop barspin, pinky squeakers, if you dont mind mixing some flatland to trials. Or how about doing Decade trials drop (for those of you whom know of the decade, aka vertical boomerang, from flatland bmx). love the idea or hate it, someone will eventually bring these tricks and more to trials mainstream, in the same way Chris Akrigg, and Eddie Tongue, brought flowy bmx style to the traditional hoppy style. its gonna happen, its just a matter of time. (Y)

ha - dream on.

The thing is, it's all fine and dandy talking about stuff that could be attempted, but the reality is on a lot of the 20" trials bikes with high bbs and the like will make it very hard to do the stuff people think they will be able to do with the gyro.

Plus with the bar spin thing, i can only really see old school riders being able to do them as they run seats (most of them), and even then you have to think about how long the actually bars are, and whilst doing a b-hop or sidehop etc it makes it even harder. Then like i said before there is the whole seat issue (or lack of), i'm sure a lot of the bmxers or people that can do barspins actually know what i mean when i say this; learning to do bar spins with no seat to pinch is incredibly difficult, then mixing it with another trick makes it even harder.

well ive ordered, but i havnt payed.... lol

my stack hieght at the mo is like 30mm so 24mm plus a 5mm spacer will be fine.

ace, i would definately get one if I had maggies, but i am a cable guy!

this reminds me gotta get the front vee going back down the steerer tube, shame its a bitch to set up. might put a maggie on the front...

oh and street should get one, thats what students loans are for

ace, i would definately get one if I had maggies, but i am a cable guy!

this reminds me gotta get the front vee going back down the steerer tube, shame its a bitch to set up. might put a maggie on the front...

oh and street should get one, thats what students loans are for

student loan? you've gotta be kidding... long gone mate...

my only worry would it might leek? so if the company thought "ok to stop it leeking we'll make the seals tighter" but then your steering gets stiffer. so the company think "right we'll make it looser" then it starts to leek again then they think "hmm?" i suppose there could be a resevoir or something... be quite interested to see how it works... as for me a long goodridge cable bled with water works fine for me at the mo :)

my friend has seen it done by a guy in canada. on a mod, from a backhop
>_< A tailwhip gapjump from a backhop! damn that seems even harder than attempting the same trick going forwards. just goes to show with a little imagination and a hell of lot of dedication, virtually anything is possible on a bike. id like to see someone attempt a bunnyhop bikeflip on bike(weather it on a bmx, or trials bike). ok, ok, maybe that trick is a few yrs away because you need a light bike and powerful rider to flick the bike around in midair.

post-1953-1171637172_thumb.jpg

student loan? you've gotta be kidding... long gone mate...

my only worry would it might leek? so if the company thought "ok to stop it leeking we'll make the seals tighter" but then your steering gets stiffer. so the company think "right we'll make it looser" then it starts to leek again then they think "hmm?" i suppose there could be a resevoir or something... be quite interested to see how it works... as for me a long goodridge cable bled with water works fine for me at the mo :)

That's not how it works, really. You can think of it as two separate systems; one above the gyro and one below. So the top system pushes the top half of the gyro down, which just presses the bottom half down (I guess it'd have a roller bearing like a headset does in between the two halves).

See cheap diagram, the top half just pushes the bottom, so no fluid moves between the two halves of the brake.

Joe x

Edited by Josephine

That's not how it works, really. You can think of it as two separate systems; one above the gyro and one below. So the top system pushes the top half of the gyro down, which just presses the bottom half down (I guess it'd have a roller bearing like a headset does in between the two halves).

See cheap diagram, the top half just pushes the bottom, so no fluid moves between the two halves of the brake.

Joe x

ahh i think i get it now. so there's not a continuous flow of fluid all the way from the lever to the piston? so there must be two pistons inside the heatset that slide over each other. thats pretty sweet :) i want one now

cheers

I think that Monty have the right idea with their system to stop bars spinning in the first place, but if you don't have that, why not get a gyro?

They don't even have the 'Stop Steering System' incorporated in their bikes anymore (N) .

I think they are a good idea for street riders and i suppose you've got a point for when your at a competition etc. But from the looks of it you can only run one brake through it :( .

Nice find, though :) .

Cheers,

Joe.

B)-->

QUOTE(joe b @ Feb 16 2007, 05:22 PM)
They don't even have the 'Stop Steering System' incorporated in their bikes anymore (N) .

I think they are a good idea for street riders and i suppose you've got a point for when your at a competition etc. But from the looks of it you can only run one brake through it :( .

Nice find, though :) .

Cheers,

Joe.

yeah its for the back brake, you put the front one down the steerer tube :)

ahh i think i get it now. so there's not a continuous flow of fluid all the way from the lever to the piston? so there must be two pistons inside the heatset that slide over each other. thats pretty sweet :) i want one now

cheers

get one...

Joe x

Wrong there's no way that'd work very well. It's overcomplicated to produce and how the hell would you bleed it?

EDIT:

From the article:

The twosections rotate over each other and the Hydraulic brake fluid can pass unhindered through the hoses and rotor to provide full braking power whilst the bars are spinning unhindered – and at no risk of damaging the rear hose.
Edited by Shaun H

Wrong there's no way that'd work very well. It's overcomplicated to produce and how the hell would you bleed it?

EDIT:

From the article:

Yeah, I was just gunna say, how the hell would that work with an open system break? I suppose with a closed system it would work if you bled both halves individually.

Yeah, I was just gunna say, how the hell would that work with an open system break? I suppose with a closed system it would work if you bled both halves individually.

If you could bleed them it'd work. But the tolerances would have to be spot on for it to work without leaking anything and being really stiff. I imagine it'd be harder to make compared to whatever they've actually done too. A cross section of the design would be cool to see.

u dont wnana hear the ideas i am getting here!

wall tap to tail whip drop ( along the shell wall)

(Y) Nice. but how about doing a wall tap to 180 on the backwheel. the only logical way to nail this move is tap the wall at an angle instead of dead straight like a regular wall tap, then hopefully the momentum and compression will twist you and bike 180 as you surge up the wall, hopefully landing 180 on the backwheel.

• 3 weeks later...

...mmmmm...why 20", i know of a certain boy kissing scotsman that ride 26" and is flatland whipping from backward manuals, and feet on the frame/pedal landing bunnyhop whips :):rolleyes:

but how much cooler would it be if you could do whip to barspin? rather than stopping to get untangled.

nah.... double whip would be better!

got my vee's working ace now for whips and shiz, abikeco linear slick into a nokon noodle for the front, oiled to buggery and works a treat :) so happy. now need learn some proper tricks!

decade drops ... :blink: