New Tensioner

Brian Bleech

Looks nice. As said above its still far from cheep for a tensioner.

Looks like the chain line adjustment is better than a Rohloff as well, which I know has been a problem for some people with Rohloffs.

Edit: Also I noticed This on there a while ago. Looks like it might be good for people who have odd length chains and need to take out a bit more slack, but dont wanna spend out £40.

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

Interesting tensioners!

That stinger one is exactly what I wanted to do with the addition of a split clamp at the joint so that chainline adjustability is easier than using spacers (Y) From its looks it certainly suggests they've based it on the Rohloff, so all signs are positive, including importantly the multi turn high torque spring. I've got a Rohloff on my bike, which gives reliable and maintenance free tensioning :)

The £15 tensioner doesn't have the burly spring of the other one, or the looks, but could be great value if it proves up to trials use.

I never did get the big push into getting my sprung tensioner made, due to all quotes showing the high costs of UK manufacture with all the parts in the assembly.

Steve

that does look pretty nice i gotta say, its not overly exspensive, especially as the really cheap ones arent that good at all.

The £15 tensioner doesn't have the burly spring of the other one, or the looks, but could be great value if it proves up to trials use.

It's not, they're very weak and the spring isn't particularily strong.

They stick out almost as far as a mech anyway rather than the Rohloff and that stinger thing which have flat plates that aren't as easily knocked.

Rohloff ***.

That stinger one looks alright, i like the way the spring tension looks to be adjustable. And for cheaper than a rohloff thats always a bonus.... considering rohloffs go for around £30 on here second hand i'd be willing to pay £40 for a stinger, especially if the spring can be replaced with a derailleur one should it break.

There might also be a fresh products one of similar design coming soon so i guess we'll have to see how that turns out price wise. From what i've seen though, its got the famous fresh products looks of durablility about the thing.

The main difference appears to be the spring - much smaller diameter than the Rohloff. I'm not certain how this affects it but I would guess less durable? A circlip on the outside of the tensioner is asking for trouble on a trials bike too...

yes the circlip does look a bit suspect, but it also looks like there is a pinch bolt holding it onto the axel, and it looks like there are several holes for the spring to go into, maybe meaning you can change the spring tention.

tentioner looks good to me :)(Y)

waddy

somthing to hit and knock off

Could you not fit a stronger one or just twist it round (so landing on it won't pop it off). I reckon that allen key bolt would stop it falling apart should the clip fall off. Maybe its just to help stop it all flying to pieces as your trying to tighten the pinch clamp up in order to set the tension?

The Rohloff is an awesome tensioner. I was a bit wary about spending £50 on it, but the tarts at Tarty persuaded me otherwise, and I have to admit, it's awesome. Especially as I'm running hangerless too.

When I think about the number of Surly's I've bought (3 or 4), then it makes the Rohloff quite cheap really.

The Rohloff is an awesome tensioner. I was a bit wary about spending £50 on it, but the tarts at Tarty persuaded me otherwise, and I have to admit, it's awesome. Especially as I'm running hangerless too.

When I think about the number of Surly's I've bought (3 or 4), then it makes the Rohloff quite cheap really.

Exactly. Cheap tensioners are a false economy, particularily if you sidehop to the right.

The problem Ive found wih the Rohloff (and by the looks of things this) is that there are quite a few individual parts (some which can be combined together) that require manufacturing, possibly one of the reasons for the high price?

Also, that stinger one looks less substantial then the Rohloff.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a bump, But Id like to see how you run it hanger less. I wana get a good Tensioner and have no hanger, as i just snapped one! Cheers! Matt!

:rolleyes: Yeah got one of them! Just put it in the hole that would go in to the mech?

No, screw the bolt from the tensioner into the pro II axle instead of the axle bolt, or if it doesn't have a bolt attached to it, run the axle bolt through the rohloff and into the hub axle.

Edited by Krisboats

• 2 months later...
sorry to bring back an old topic but anyone know where you can buy one of these NC-17 Stingers other than chain reaction?

theyre out of stock till june on CR

One google search of "NC-17 tensioner" and 2 mouse clicks later, and i was greeted with this page. Did you even look for yourself?