New Products From Tensile

BikeDotStuffAtOnzaDotCom

Just a few responses to some of the questions raised.

1. The tensioner is designed to run a 3/32"chain (as KMC810 Kool) and as set up would not take a 1/8" chain. However, the only limiting factor is the spacing either side of the jockey wheels and the fixing bolts are long enough to accept some extra spacing washers. It should therefore be possible to modify it to take a 710.

2. How will it handle knocks and bumps? We have designed and built it using the best materials available to us to maintain a competitive price. We therefore feel it will stand up to as much as any other such device on the current market. However, nothing is indestructible and trials is a very abusive pastime, so this has the usual Tensile warranty. As far as fitting guards, where do you stop? Guards to guard the guards to guard the guards.

3. With the huge variations in frame design, the one safe universal datum point to fit such a device is the derailleur hanger. I don't quite follow the logic of trying to fit it anywhere else.

4. The length of the arm is optimised to use a 14 tooth sprocket and the first delivery is as such. There is also longer arm version for use on a 16 tooth which will follow up.

5. We have many products in the pipeline for Tensile but as always, they will be well thought out and tested thoroughly before release. Currently under development are a new fork, a new rim and a single speed converter to go with the chain tensioner. We also have a rear hub design being patented at the moment before any proto's are made and a patented pedal under development. Plenty of work to keep us busy.

The length of the arm is optimised to use a 14 tooth sprocket and the first delivery is as such. There is also longer arm version for use on a 16 tooth which will follow up.

Please don't say that the tensioners are limited to these sizes, or a few teeth either side

Hanger = stock = common sizes up to 19t+ >_<

Excellent price!

However... shouldn't that arm be alot longer otherwise the jockey wheel is just going to fowl the sprocket?

Sticks out a bit too.

Nice otherwise...

well its been tested so im sure it will work but there proberly will be a maxium sprocket size you can use.

The closer your jockey wheel to the sprocket the more efficiently it runs. Also the longer the arm, the more susceptible it is to damage so we have set out to produce two lengths, for a 14 and under and a 17 and under. If there is a demand for an even longer one, it is simple enough to add it to the range.

The closer your jockey wheel to the sprocket the more efficiently it runs. Also the longer the arm, the more susceptible it is to damage so we have set out to produce two lengths, for a 14 and under and a 17 and under. If there is a demand for an even longer one, it is simple enough to add it to the range.
Considering the number of people runnin 18/19t sprockets, I would have presumed that this would be a more worthwhile length.

Perhaps a 15t and a 19t compatible qould have been worth considering, but you guys have done the R&D, so I can't comment about that :)

Looks good

I was under the impression that all stock riders either ran a 14 or a 15 on the back with an 18 up front?

Well surely, they should be 15 and under and 18 and under.

i think the most common ratio is 18:16 with some people using 15 instead, and then people running 16 on front run 14 on rear, And people with middleburns ect runnign 22 run either 18 or 17 on rear

I was under the impression that all stock riders either ran a 14 or a 15 on the back with an 18 up front?

Well surely, they should be 15 and under and 18 and under.

18-16 is standard as is 16-14.

That tensioner is amazing, i will be buying one so i can bin my mech.

i think the most common ratio is 18:16 with some people using 15 instead, and then people running 16 on front run 14 on rear, And people with middleburns ect runnign 22 run either 18 or 17 on rear

'Burns (other than with a Heatsink Cloud9) need a 20+ chainring, which is pretty commonplace anyway. Loads of people run 22:18 and around there, so the tensioner needs to try to cover these potential buyers too really

22:19 is pretty common, it would be a shame for a manufacturer to allow for 22:18 but not 22:19 and leave out the selection

Right guys, Chill. Its been designed for our UCI boys. It will be available in about to 5 weeks to fit all the rest of the setups.

'Burns (other than with a Heatsink Cloud9) need a 20+ chainring, which is pretty commonplace anyway. Loads of people run 22:18 and around there, so the tensioner needs to try to cover these potential buyers too really

22:19 is pretty common, it would be a shame for a manufacturer to allow for 22:18 but not 22:19 and leave out the selection

I had a pig headset on one of my old bikes, for about 4 years.

I paid £24.99.

I see no reason to spend more than that as I've never had one fail. In fact, I only got a new one when I upgraded loads of bits because I wanted something new lol

Damn, if I ever need a tensioner that one is sold!

Super sexy :)

Same. Been running a Fsa Orbit ever since i started riding. Never had any problems with it and i give my front end some shit.

Expensive and light headset = OTT and not needed.

Danny.

unless you want a light bike ;)

tentioner looks cool and good for the price, i still prefer my rohlof though, much cleaner looking, and smaller (i think)

unless you want a light bike ;)

tentioner looks cool and good for the price, i still prefer my rohlof though, much cleaner looking, and smaller (i think)

May i question the need of why ? And how a headset is going to make a 'Massive' difference in the weight of your bike ?

Danny.

May i question the need of why ? And how a headset is going to make a 'Massive' difference in the weight of your bike ?

So you can go bigger for the same effort (something we'd all like surely?!), so you get tired less quickly.

You can save 100g on a headset, that's a lot for such a small component!

I have an FSA Equipe, the only lighter one is a Meta, and it would save 30g.

I agree with Danny, there's no need for a better headset over one of these, because they're so good it's unreal.

It's going through your bike and changing stuff like this though that could make a 9kg bike into an 8kg bike. I would but I can't afford it.