Hs33 Evo 2 - Fluids

Ghetto Rider

Hello People,

Split my magura cable in Reading at the weekend, had to sit out for the rest of the day! :sleeping:

Need to re-bleed my maggie but got no "Magura Blood"... What can you use to fill maguras with that work just as well?

What would you use? What wouldn't you use.... and why!?

Thanks All,

Dan (Y)

Edited by Ghetto Rider

Water with a little splash of deep freeze!? (Y)

Assuming deep freeze is anti-freeze, can be useful through winter, or if your bike is often subject to very cold conditions, but now it's spring it's not essential.

Many people have run plain old water for years with no trouble of freezing or anything :)

Assuming deep freeze is anti-freeze, can be useful through winter, or if your bike is often subject to very cold conditions, but now it's spring it's not essential.

Many people have run plain old water for years with no trouble of freezing or anything :)

Ah that's good to know. Will use some quality h20 - where's the water boy when you need him?

In all my years of riding ive heard of:

Magura Blood

Halfords Mineral Oil

Citroen Suspension fluid (these 3 are pretty much the same thing)

Water

Water with Anti Freeze (watch the AF content as its highly corrosive)

Distilled Water

WD40

GT85

3-in-1 Oil

Im sure thees more out there somehwere.

I would reccamend regular tap water.

And for that special bleed that will feel the don, submerce bleed it in the bath.

water is the best I think, I don't have any problems.

Phil.

Sorry to sound like a noobie, but will there be no issues with corroding internals with water? Just the idea of filling my nice new shiny hs33s with water fills me with rusty dread!!

Edited by Elliot

Sorry to sound like a noobie, but will there be no issues with corroding internals with water? Just the idea of filling my nice new shiny hs33s with water fills me with rusty dread!!

First of all, maguras are a closed system so there shouldn't be any air in them, you'll only get corrosion if theres air in them. no air = no corrosion. Secondly the seals on maguras are plastic/rubber so I don't its possible for water to corrode them and thirdly maguras are made out of aluminium which will only corrode if theres air in the system, even then they dont tend to rust. The majority of people on TF use water and since I've been on here I've never seen a thread about water corroding any internals.

First of all, maguras are a closed system so there shouldn't be any air in them, you'll only get corrosion if theres air in them. no air = no corrosion. Secondly the seals on maguras are plastic/rubber so I don't its possible for water to corrode them and thirdly maguras are made out of aluminium which will only corrode if theres air in the system, even then they dont tend to rust. The majority of people on TF use water and since I've been on here I've never seen a thread about water corroding any internals.

Nice one! and the point about there never being a thread is a decider, TF users will bitch about any f**king thing, so if anyone had problems it would be here!

In all my years of riding ive heard of:

Magura Blood

Halfords Mineral Oil

Citroen Suspension fluid (these 3 are pretty much the same thing)

Water

Water with Anti Freeze (watch the AF content as its highly corrosive)

Distilled Water

WD40

GT85

3-in-1 Oil

Im sure thees more out there somehwere.

I would reccamend regular tap water.

And for that special bleed that will feel the don, submerce bleed it in the bath.

Bleeding a break with penetration oil reaaally doesnt seem like a good idea to me, the oil is designed to penetrate seals, so putting it in something like a break system sounds bad to me. Also why would anti-freeze be corosive? is it not designed to be run in the cooling system of cars? a system that I imagine also consists of many rubber seals and lots of plastic hosing?

Bleeding a break with penetration oil reaaally doesnt seem like a good idea to me, the oil is designed to penetrate seals, so putting it in something like a break system sounds bad to me. Also why would anti-freeze be corosive? is it not designed to be run in the cooling system of cars? a system that I imagine also consists of many rubber seals and lots of plastic hosing?

You still have to distill it though, hence the "watch the AF content" bit.

I use water as well, nicer lever feel.

If your lever goes sluggish after just putting water in you'll need to re-bleed it. There will be left over oil lining the tubes and cylinders which all seems to slowly collect in the lever after a water bleed, giving you a smushy lever. Another bleed if it does it and your lever will be right as rain though.

it realy annoys me when people say aluminium rusts >_< did/are any of you doing science at school. if you are you should know that only steel rusts iron oxide, aluminium when exposed with air get aluminium oxide coating, this protect the aluminium and all aluminium will have a layer, rust is only for steel, and oxygen has to be precent.

anyway after that dont worry about rust with things made of aluminium!

If your lever goes sluggish after just putting water in you'll need to re-bleed it. There will be left over oil lining the tubes and cylinders which all seems to slowly collect in the lever after a water bleed, giving you a smushy lever. Another bleed if it does it and your lever will be right as rain though.

10+ bleeds over about 4 months... worse every time. lubed seals and everything.

ended up getting a new brake, it was a few years old..