Racism

Has anyone seen my shoe?

This forum is very one-sided in this due to it being probably about 95% white. I personally think you need to chill out, respect peoples views. 'Nigger' is an offensive word to say, its just the way it is. I dont say it because it is offensive to certain people, why create unnecessary abuse to people you probably dont even know especially on the internet? I also hate people saying 'paki' just because it makes me relate them to the uncultured scumbags i see about on the streets shouting 'f*ckin paki's' etc etc.

Culturalism!

That's a bit general and predjudiced towards people that don't share your culture. Thus, there's a word that summarises your statements.

This seems like an obscure PC meeting. A huge group of relatively un-informed white people with no idea discussing something which if you use your brain doesn't have to be that big a deal!

If you know people are going to be offended, for whatever seemingly logical/illogical reason, by a word you use then why not just be the bigger man and not say it? What do you really have to gain by questioning it? I think the english language is probably the most developed, word filled language in the world. I'm sure people can find alternatives!

Rob I think it's more the fact that there seems to be a level of discrimination, as to who is allowed to say certain words, that people are complaining about.

I do however agree, certain words are offensive, so it's better to avoid them. However as english is a living, and therefore evolving, language words like nigger will eventually lose their power to offend as more people use them in coloquial speech.

This causes a catch 22 as until the word is used normally it will remain offensive, but people will not use the word coloquially until the word is no longer offensive. I guess we just have to wait and see whether the word loses its offensive connotations and then use it or not as we see fit.

Dave

Im sure the majority of us dont call blacks 'niggers', its only used in referance to our white friends, so why does it matter?

As said, you know that people find the word that you use offensive. Even if both you and your friend aren't offended by it, there are others that will be. Why don't you just not say it? As asked, what do you gain by questioning it? The ability to use a word when there are hundreds of all generally unoffensive alternatives? Even if you and your buddy were black, people would still find it offensive.

Rob I think it's more the fact that there seems to be a level of discrimination, as to who is allowed to say certain words, that people are complaining about.

I realise that. From my very uneducated perspective on the whole matter I do agree it's pretty daft. Unfortunately the simple fact is that groups will find it offensive when people use certain words. Yes there are definitely double standards, hugely illogical double standards. But logic doesn't account for it all, people will have different experiences and perceptions related to a word, but when the underlying 'vibe' (for lack of a better word) is negative - people should just leave it. When people are smart enough to look above this, it doesn't really mean anything, and serves no purpose when debated? That's my $0.02.

As said, you know that people find the word that you use offensive. Even if both you and your friend aren't offended by it, there are others that will be. Why don't you just not say it? As asked, what do you gain by questioning it? The ability to use a word when there are hundreds of all generally unoffensive alternatives? Even if you and your buddy were black, people would still find it offensive.

I realise that. From my very uneducated perspective on the whole matter I do think it's pretty daft, surely the simple fact is that groups will find it offensive when people use certain words. Yes there are definitely double standards, hugely illogical double standards. But logic doesn't account for it all, people will have different experiences and perceptions related to a word, but when the underlying 'vibe' (for lack of a better word) is negative - people should just leave it. When people are smart enough to look above this, it doesn't really mean anything, and serves no purpose when debated?

I'd have to disagree with you on that, things become better understood through debate, without debate issues and ideas stagnate and become less relevant. By constantly re-evaluating the ideas behind the issue progress is made. In this case progress is an increased understanding of why, and whether, the word nigger can, or cannot, be used in a manner that is not offensive by someone who is not black.

We have come to the conclusion that one day it will be a normal adjective in the english language, but is not yet, and that the more white people use it with black friends the more quickly the word will lose its offensive connotations, but that must be offset against possible offense to other black people.

The ability to use a word when there are hundreds of all generally unoffensive alternatives? Even if you and your buddy were black, people would still find it offensive.

Yea! i just never understand that! i would never use the words, paki or nigger... its just stupid you never know whos arround and who may take offence to it. I go to a fairly mixed cultured colledge and so shouting out "im going down the paki shop" isnt the best idea... its just f**king stupid... when you can just say "im going to swami" (the name of the corner shop).

trying to find a example would be when i had acne my mates all used to joke and call me jam.. but if ANYONE else said it to me like this kid who turned round and said, "you f**king acne willy" i hit him... its just the same for racism in my eyes... ive been brought up in a very PC household and although i dont agree 100% with all my parents morals i just dont know why people insist in wanting to use the word.....

things become better understood through debate

You going to really change people opinions on a Trials_forum? there opinions have come from cultural stigmas in thier area?

I've gotta say I agree with you there Div/Dave, re: debating the issue, I just don't think any huge mind blowing conclusion would come from here. I can't say personally that my view has changed from this thread, but for alot of people reading the thread hopefully their perspective would have been widened, i.e. evolving their ideas as you've said.

Meh, *group hugs*

You going to really change people opinions on a Trials_forum? there opinions have come from cultural stigmas in thier area?

See Rob's post, he gets it. (Y)

EDIT P.S. Group hugs to everyone too.

Edited by div

Racism covers a number of sins; since when was black a race? And why is racism any worse that any other "ism"... they are all intended to offend... Racism is frowned upon severely, yet there arent any newspaper headlines about "your mum" jokes offending someone to the point of legal action... I would think offensive comments about immeadiate family are much worse than ethnic origin!

I used to live in Lewisham, and being one of very few white people, would have to put up with being called "white boy" a lot, but I didn't find it offensive, I'd rather be called that than "Oi, c*nt" or something...

We only have one view in our mind, the media paints a picture that Britain is very racist, but nobody here knows knows first-hand about how racist African/Asian people are to each other in their home countries... which, according to my Zambian friend, they are. There is an image that white males are all the devil and that everyone else are innocent little angels... Yes, maybe white people are racist, but we don't go shooting each other for silly reasons like in American black cultures!

Sometimes being white and male makes you feel like you aren't allowed an opinion, but fortunately for me I'm part Welsh, so I can have whatever opinion I like!

Anyone who says anything about me being Welsh is racist and should be burned at the stake :turned:

Lol at the census data... why did so many people come from the carribean to live here... >_<

I dont mind racist comments etc.. its just when it turns in to people getting axed to death like that black kid at the bus stop in the news. Then its taken a bit to far imo.

I've heard from a few people that that was less of a racism thing and more of a two people not liking each other thing.

I don't think its on going round twatting people because they are black or whatever.

I think I should be able to call a black person a nigger though. Its what they are?

people look at the word nigger or paki as a bad word its just a way of describing someone. its like i'm a scouser I'm not offened if someone calls me a scouser because I am one.

But nobody here knows knows first-hand about how racist African/Asian people are to each other in their home countries... which, according to my Zambian friend, they are. There is an image that white males are all the devil and that everyone else are innocent little angels... Yes, maybe white people are racist, but we don't go shooting each other for silly reasons like in American black cultures!

Sometimes being white and male makes you feel like you aren't allowed an opinion, but fortunately for me I'm part Welsh, so I can have whatever opinion I like!

Anyone who says anything about me being Welsh is racist and should be burned at the stake :turned:

Lol at the census data... why did so many people come from the carribean to live here... >_<

its not just your zambian friends, it says it on TV, sunni vs shiit muslims, suicide bombing each other every day, just because of there religion(and there just different parts of the same religion, think protestant and catholic in N.I, but on a far bigger scale) dont see any christians blowing themselves up, because they disagree with muslim views(which i do very strongly, yet not once have i thought about making myself into a walking talking claymore mine, but thats maybe because im spineless an not worthy of my religion, race or skin colour).

lets not forget arab vs jew, which is rolled up into the israeli palestine conflict.

i dont consider myself to be in anyway racist at all, i am opinionated and have my views on changes that should be made. one such view, is that if your coming to britain as an illegal immigrant(skilled migrants and refugees are slightly different)or if your coming to this country, because you dont agree with the way your country does things. you should be allowed into this country,but only after you complete a tour of duty in the british army, people have said thats wrong and unfair, but to me, its the way i think it should be. apart from the problems it would solve( people wringing the country dry of benefits, lack of army personnel, problems in other countries were currently fighting), it would sort out those people who truly want to be a part of our country, to those coming here under false pretences, for an easy ride.

however PC folk would say i cant say that, "that a number of people wanting to enter this country, without a valid reason too, should only be able to do so under certain conditons" is a racist statement

yet its ok for muslim preachers to say " the whole of the western world should be destroyed"

to me the one here preaching the race wars is not me.

also if my views did occur, i would have no problem with these immigrants living here, theyd be making positive changes, and fighting for/defending this country, theyd be well respected members of societies( a lot more so than any "english" person on benefits, due to it being an easy option - in my eyes at least)

and if our country was doing such things, id think it would be a country i would be proud of, and would be signing up to defend it at the first given oppurtunity. (compared to as it is, my view of "meh, might join the TA in a few years once im settled").

sorry for going off topic, but 95% of its relevant.

yet its ok for muslim preachers to say " the whole of the western world should be destroyed"

No it's not. Not in my book anyway. This whole thing is a mess because people think that there is one set of rules for 'us' and another for 'them'. I don't think that statement (^^^) is any more right or wrong than the american hick who goes on about nuking Iraq. Same thing. Neither is right.

I've heard from a few people that that was less of a racism thing and more of a two people not liking each other thing.

I don't think its on going round twatting people because they are black or whatever.

I think I should be able to call a black person a nigger though. Its what they are?

people look at the word nigger or paki as a bad word its just an offensive way of describing someone. its like i'm a scouser I'm not offened if someone calls me a scouser because I am one.

people look at the word nigger or paki as a bad word its just a way of describing someone. its like i'm a scouser I'm not offened if someone calls me a scouser because I am one.

Haha i like your way of putting things, makes me laugh.

Ill not say out because ill end up getting a warning for being the source of all racism on here like always.

brown

hang the lot of em, atleast it would end all the arguments

im not a racist person in any way, but the one thing that really gets on my tits is the way that many muslims and the like come over here, live off our taxes and then decide they want to blow us up, and the government is still on there side. like the spastics that bombed the underground, where they lived/ went to school/college/ where they worshiped, mister blair was praising how their community was "fully supporting ethnic diversity" etc etc.. then, a few weeks later, a private investigation finds out theuy are fully supporting extremism and teaching everyone how to make bombs and blow themselves up. the government then said how they must of been mis-represented or some other crap like that. Then a few weeks after that, the nobbers went and blew themselves up in the country they were born, raised and living in, killing many innocent men,women and children for what they think is "right"

all this only came to light about three months after the bombings because the government were covering it up.

The immigrants are always being defended and made out to look like the innocent ones, and if we even say anything, we get raped for it, yet they can happily go nuts "jihadding" us all, while living off our money and then constantly complaining about it.

there are obviously exceptions (cool immigrants who are happy with life over here, skilled craftspeople, the ones who go out and are trying their best to make the best lives for themselves, asylum seekers and the like) its just the others that get on my tits.

soryy if this has offended anyone, but since were all airing our views, heres mine.

Edited by mod: That's how you get a 3 day ban. It's one thing to discuss the issue, it's another to make sweeping generalised racist rants